Gunnz

What do our local LEO carry?

A few years old but what i know,

Passaic county sheriffs dept. was glock 23 they switched to M&P i believe .45 a few years ago.

North haledon was hk usp compact .40 i believe.

Demerest was glock 23 also.

Hudson county sheriffs dept. i believe was p229r Dak but i think they switched to glock 19.

I don't see a need for towns to have the same models unless it's to get a larger volume buy and save money. Yeah it would also be better if they all used the same ammo too because a large volume could be bought and then split. Yet again more about money savings.

The majority of officers go thru an entire career without being in a gunfight. So to have the same pistols in case of a multi department gun fight is really reaching.

The only reason is to save money and we all know most govt agencies aren't all that concerned with saving the taxpayers money.

Some departments have a list an officer can pick an approved gun from to use.

Most officers will never be in a gunfight correct. But they still all carry a gun. and with that also most gunfights are what 3 rounds or something. But cops still carry 2 spare mags. Although not likely to need to share mags it is a plus if they need too.

Also you would be surprised by how much they save by buying for a whole department.

"Most people will never be in a car accident... so for people to take safety considerations into a car purchase or even a mfgr making a car is really reaching... "

I cannot say clearly enough the concept of flawed logic that most will never be in a firefight in relation to training, gear, or anything like that.

Two Alaska State Troopers were killed last night by some 20's kid.  Every single day they walk into work they are walking into work knowing it could be the day a bad guy kills them.  --- and I know the standard response is, "Anyone can die any day at any time for any reason by any method.."  I understand this.  HOWEVER, most people are not cops, universally hated by a significant portion of the population and genuinely hoped to be killed by a portion of the population not to be underestimated.

it is absolutely right most will not be in a firefight; a decent amount will never even need to draw their firearm in the line .  That however doesn't mean a thing, each and every one is as likely as the next to stumble upon the next North Hollywood Shootout or Miami bank robbery etc.  Some rookie a few months on the job stumbled upon Eric Rudolph scrounging in a dumpster.  And believe you me, the cops that *ARE* in shootouts DO NOT go to work that day saying, "You know, THIS is the day I am going to be in a fight for my life... I should pack an extra mag or make sure my vest is on... because Today is that Day.."

I mean no disrespect but the idea that because they probably won't get into a firefight should be taken into any at all context in firearms/equipment/etc decision making is absolutely wrong.

Current troopers carry 228's. They are 9mm and 13+1.

From what my buddy told me their making the switch to P229 starting with his class. Atleast that's what he's been told

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scrap, are you on the Job? If so PM me please. Otherwise, your frame of reference is a bit off. I get what you are saying to a point but then you lose me. Mindset is paramount to winning, then quality training and finally equipment.

Everyday I tell myself "today is the day" and my guys say it too - that points to mindset - "I will not lose". If it happens I like to think we are ready. If caught flatfooted I know we will turn it around and win. We treat everyday as if today is the day. Our gear is squared away, vests are on, and our thinking caps are on and we are switched to receive.

As a Patrol Sergeant, SWAT Element Leader, and Firearms, Tactics, and Use of Force instructor I am here to tell you that the idea that the ability to share magazines with another person in a firefight should be a serious consideration when choosing a firearm is laughable. Reliability, mechanical accuracy, capacity, maintenance schedule, ammo choices, simple manual of arms, inherent shoot-ability, ergonomics/placements of controls, holsters available - these are the major concerns when choosing a duty weapon.

First, as I stated it happens so rarely that it is a non-issue. Having the gun that I shoot the best in my hand during a gunfight is a better way to end a fight than having a gun I shoot with less ability but can share mags with a partner.

Second, if we are in a gunfight, and you blasted through your entire basic load of ammo and I have some left - I am not giving it to you. You just blasted away 48 rounds without solving the problem we are in right now. Why would I think that giving you15 of my pills will change that?

Third, when you run out of ammo are you going to be in a position to tell me you need more? Am I going to be able to get it to you?

Fourth, if running out of ammo is a concern, carry an extra mag or two with you.

It is the stuff of action movie fantasy. Could it conceivably happen? Yeah, I guess so. But the "A" answer is to not waste ammo, train, choose the gun you shoot best out of the options available to you, and carry a BUG and an extra mag.

"Most people will never be in a car accident... so for people to take safety considerations into a car purchase or even a mfgr making a car is really reaching... "

I cannot say clearly enough the concept of flawed logic that most will never be in a firefight in relation to training, gear, or anything like that.

Two Alaska State Troopers were killed last night by some 20's kid. Every single day they walk into work they are walking into work knowing it could be the day a bad guy kills them. --- and I know the standard response is, "Anyone can die any day at any time for any reason by any method.." I understand this. HOWEVER, most people are not cops, universally hated by a significant portion of the population and genuinely hoped to be killed by a portion of the population not to be underestimated.

it is absolutely right most will not be in a firefight; a decent amount will never even need to draw their firearm in the line . That however doesn't mean a thing, each and every one is as likely as the next to stumble upon the next North Hollywood Shootout or Miami bank robbery etc. Some rookie a few months on the job stumbled upon Eric Rudolph scrounging in a dumpster. And believe you me, the cops that *ARE* in shootouts DO NOT go to work that day saying, "You know, THIS is the day I am going to be in a fight for my life... I should pack an extra mag or make sure my vest is on... because Today is that Day.."

I mean no disrespect but the idea that because they probably won't get into a firefight should be taken into any at all context in firearms/equipment/etc decision making is absolutely wrong.

Pretty much everything you just said has nothing to do with what I said at all.

My point being that they are not going to base buying standardized equipment across the board because there is the slightest chance that there might be a multi department gun fight and the officers might have to share mags and ammo. The police force is not the army. Their job isn't to fight like the armies is. If it was then they might have standardized equipment.

Gun for Hire recently made a nice donation of Sig Sauer P227s to the entire Woodland Park PD. Previously they used Springfield XD chambered in .45ACP.

This is the only instance I've heard of a police department using Springfield. I thought most of them used Glock. 

Who cares what they carry, whatever it is ,it may one day be you looking down the wrong end ,the direction this country is going.

Judge jury executioner

That s*#t works both ways, why worry or proliferate about something like that?