I read through the law (at a remedial level, law-wise) and couldn't find an answer to this question. What happens if the 3 year clock starts, but then all manufacturers making smart guns go out of business? Is there a provision in the law that negates it if the market ceases to exist? 

If you read my post you would clearly see I was under the impression it was all firearms, not just handguns. Let me clarify again I thought it was all firearms. And no I don't just care about my deer gun, I do not deer hunt.

I have to say being insulting is not a good way to respond to people who are on your side. I don't think this is a good law either so calm down.

Stupid question because I did not find the information in the link to the law.

Seems like once it's in force, we will not be able to buy a non "personalized handgun"  But I did not see anything about the removal and or destruction of traditional handguns already owned.  Am I right on that one?

Just trying to find an excuse to tell the wife to buy more lol :-p

If you read my post you would clearly see I was under the impression it was all firearms, not just handguns. Let me clarify again I thought it was all firearms. And no I don't just care about my deer gun, I do not deer hunt.

I have to say being insulting is not a good way to respond to people who are on your side. I don't think this is a good law either so calm down.

What was the "good news" part about? The fact that this law even exists is very bad news.

Seems like once it's in force, we will not be able to buy a non "personalized handgun"  But I did not see anything about the removal and or destruction of traditional handguns already owned.  Am I right on that one?

The law does not address existing guns.

It seems to me that it is important to know what happens if the law goes into effect and then the manufacturer's either drop the technology or go out of business. I wouldn't put it past Weinberg, etc, that it is an intended outcome that a conventional handgun sales ban stays in effect even if smart guns disappear from the market.

You won't be able to sell it to anybody in state, you'll have to sell it out of state, or it goes on the scrape heap....which is where it will go when you die under this law anyway.

It seems to me that it is important to know what happens if the law goes into effect and then the manufacturer's either drop the technology or go out of business. I wouldn't put it past Weinberg, etc, that it is an intended outcome that a conventional handgun sales ban stays in effect even if smart guns disappear from the market.

Bingo, Armatrix will stay quiet until Holder and his DOJ get Smart Gun tech mandated country wide....it'll go on sale, won't move or it will be recalled, they'll go out of business, and there will no longer be a market for hand guns....but remember, there already is a company in Germany(?) which has a smart rifle for hunters......if Holder can get his way for handguns and rifles.....one feel swoop guns will cease to exist.

What was the "good news" part about? The fact that this law even exists is very bad news.

Sir if you can't be bothered to read my post, don't respond at all then. I never realized there were so many illiterate gun owners on here.

Regardless again I don't think this is a good law at all. But this was passed 12 years ago, so I can only rejoice in the fact it's not more sweeping to include all firearms.

Now please would you all stop harping on my choice of words it's sad and ridiculous.

Sir if you can't be bothered to read my post, don't respond at all then. I never realized there were so many illiterate gun owners on here.

Regardless again I don't think this is a good law at all. But this was passed 12 years ago, so I can only rejoice in the fact it's not more sweeping to include all firearms.

Now please would you all stop harping on my choice of words it's sad and ridiculous.

Seriously you are backtracking now and insulting me to cover up. Piece of work you are.

Seriously you are backtracking now and insulting me to cover up. Piece of work you are.

Really, please quote my post and tell me where I am backtracking. My original point was I thought it was all firearms. I am not so sure what you are so offended at either. I think I have been fairly polite, and I was the one who was insulted for posting a response that you later decided you didn't like.

Not sure why I am piece of work , you know nothing of me sir, and clearly did not bother to read any of my posts. So I challenge you please highlight my offensive words that so hurt you.

Thank you! The good news is it only applies to handguns, I though it was all fire arms.

That is not good news.  That's the simple point.  Does it matter that it doesn't apply to your AR, shotgun or rifle?  It does because it's not very hard in this state to amend a law.  "Oh look, there's a loop hole, let's close the Smart Gun Loophole."  and there you have it.  Bingo bango, BOHICA because this is NJ.

Oh please, guys, quit piling on the new guy like an angry mob.

It is emphatically better that the law apply only to one class of firearms than ALL firearms. I think mechman was just saying "well it could be worse." That doesn't mean he agrees with the damn thing! Nor does it seem like he's content to rest on his laurels just because he "doesn't care about handguns."

Tensions are high as we wait for news about Drake, we're all a little hotblooded at the moment. Let's not start turning on each other for semantics.

Oh please, guys, quit piling on the new guy like an angry mob.It is emphatically better that the law apply only to one class of firearms than ALL firearms. .

Yeah... It's better in the sense that having 8 fingers chopped off is "better" than all 10.....

Even entertaining the idea as being better is having a mindset of defeat... Don't accept additional garbage laws by rationalizing that you still have some rights... You need to start moving forward... Not slowly backwards...

Yeah... It's better in the sense that having 8 fingers chopped off is "better" than all 10.....

Even entertaining the idea as being better is having a mindset of defeat... Don't accept additional garbage laws by rationalizing that you still have some rights... You need to start moving forward... Not slowly backwards...

Believe me, I understand the point that you and everyone else is making (I do NOT have a defeatist attitude, nor does the OP if you read what he wrote). I was at the winter 2013 Assembly hearing with Jon the Mod and we sat with/argued with a woman who claimed to have helped pass this stupid very same smart gun law. We argued til I was blue in the face. I haven't given up on this or any other issue that we're fighting for.

All I'm saying this: If you start out thinking it applies to all guns, and then you learn it only applies to a SUBSET of guns... then it's not as bad as you initially thought. It is an empirically better position for all gun owners, period. Obviously not as good as if the law were repealed, but if your mindset goes from all banned to some banned, then your mood should improve.

(Again, I agree with you philosophically: it's a terrible law, and it is NOT good that it applies to handguns. But if the law does get activated and we have to think about civil disobedience, I prefer to commit fewer felonies rather than more: so in that regard, bad law applying to less guns is not as bad as a bad law applying to more guns.)

All of this is besides the point. Jumping down the throat of a new member and possibly alienating them from the forum, and hence NJ2AS activism, is not a winning strategy. We don't have enough gun owners in NJ to insult each other and yell at each other over semantics.

Scott Bach said something powerful I will always remember. He said in essence that some people might think a ban on .50 cal is no big deal because some people don't shoot it. But once they come after .50 and succeed they will be back for more. And more and more until before you know it your right is gone.

Yesterday the grabberz wanted your handgun. Today they are after your AR. Tomorrow your shotgun. They will go piece by piece until you have nothing.