Blackjack988

New to IDPA. Need some help.

I've recently been gearing and reading up to start competing and figured IDPA would be a good place to start. I'm pretty familiar with the rules and have some basic equipment to start off with but I still need 2 things. First, I need to find a match to shoot. I live in Middlesex county but am willing to drive 1-1.5 hours. I know Easton has matches as does OBPRC but I'm not a member at either so I'm not sure if they'd let me shoot. Also I've had no luck on the IDPA site trying to find matches, they only seem to list the big ones. 

Second and most importantly I need someone there that can and is willing to show me the ropes. I know the general community is very friendly but it would be nice going in already knowing someone. Also it would be nice to bounce a few questions off someone before going.

If anyone else is looking to learn too feel free to reach out. Maybe we can learn together. 

I'm free most weekends to head to a match. So anyone up for showing a noobie the ropes?

All matches at Old Bridge, USPSA, IDPA, Steel, etc. are open to the public. Let the match director know you are new, you will get a safety briefing and be squaded with experienced shooters. I'm sure someone will chime in that will be willing to meet up with you. IDPA, is the one match I don't attend. Have fun.

edit to add:

There is a Steel match this Sunday at OB if you're interested. A nice way to get used to drawing from a holster and being on the clock.

You would be more than welcome to join us at Somerset (http://www.somersetidpa.com) You will need to sign up for a space on the matches page on that site to be able to shoot - we have to limit the number of shooters so we can finish at a reasonable time. We only have a small indoor range and we only shoot 4 stages in a match but our MD, Tom, does an excellent job briefing new shooters and it's a great place to start. Too many stages for your first match will be exhausting and you will be struggling by the end.

IDPA and USPSA both have a policy where you can shoot your first match without being a member. You do not need to be a member of the host club either. If you decide you want to shoot a second match you need to join the parent organization, but still don't need to be a member of the host club.

To find matches in out area look at Walt's website: https://www.nepaidpascores.net

The next three matches locally that I'm planning to attend are:

Phillipsburg 4/10

Somerset 4/18

Easton Fish & Game 4/25 (currently a maybe for me)

For P-burg and Easton you must have a NRA safety certificate or a classification for IDPA, USPSA or ICORE for your first match. This is because you are an unknown quantity as far as experience goes and the MD wants an indication that the shooter has some basic safety skills.

If you really want some pointers before attending a match let me know - if we can find a common time I could meet you at Easton for an orientation.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

hey Black , OBRPC has Indoor Action Shoot tonight which begins at 6:30 (if you can get there early , you can help set up stages and get a first hand look at course of fire!) attend the safety briefing which is mandatory, but you do not have to be a member to shoot your first match. The match can run pretty late fyi, but it's great intro to what you are looking for i think. i'm a new member there now as a result of my experience at the indoor action shoots.

i will not be at tonight's match however, but the people there will make you comfortable. 

shoot safe ! 

Thanks very much everyone!  I think I shall register over at somerset for the match coming up on the 18th.

I want to make sure I have everything I need.  Here's my list of equipment.  What am I missing?

- Pistol (Sig P226 Elite)

- Magazines (3 10 round, 2 15 round) - Which should I bring?

- Belt

- Holster (Comp-Tac) 

- Magazine Carriers

- Ammunition - How much do I need?

- Ears

- Eyes

- Cover garment - Any suggestions?

Thanks very much everyone!  I think I shall register over at somerset for the match coming up on the 18th.

I want to make sure I have everything I need.  Here's my list of equipment.  What am I missing?

- Pistol (Sig P226 Elite)

- Magazines (3 10 round, 2 15 round) - Which should I bring?

- Belt

- Holster (Comp-Tac) 

- Magazine Carriers

- Ammunition - How much do I need?

- Ears

- Eyes

- Cover garment - Any suggestions?

You are covered. Bring all your mags - it will save you some time between stages. The 15 rounders are nice because they preclude having to use a "Barney mag" - just load them up with 11 rounds. At the line, insert, rack, decock and holster - you're ready to go. You are not required to wear a cover garment for your first match. The SO may prefer that you don't, but bring it and if they allow it (Stu?) you'll be set. Your P226 will put you in SSP and you should bring at least 100 rounds - 150 is better. Matches at Somerset usually run - 60 - 72 rounds, but there are Vickers stages where you "Shoot 'til you're happy", plus you may have reshoots if there is an equipment malfunction (not your equipment - you have to muddle through that).

I'll see you there. My son is also shooting and his wife will be spectating in preparation for taking the Intro to IDPA for Women that Sandy (who'll also be there), Joanna and Ken are putting on on 6/1.

With 5 mags, if you have enough carriers, you can give USPSA a try also - two very different games, but equally enjoyable.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks Bob.

I have 4 total carriers so I may be able to do USPSA.  Looking at my calendar i'm not going to be able to make the match on the 18th unfortunately.  I'll definitely show up next month at Somerset.  

Looks like theres a match I can attend on 5/25 match at Easton.  I took the NRA First Steps pistol course 4 or so years ago, would that be a sufficient safety course to be able to shoot?

Also there appears to be one 5/11 at OBJRPC.  Anyone going to be there?

What is the process for obtaining a classification?  I am already a member of the IDPA.

Thanks Bob.

I have 4 total carriers so I may be able to do USPSA.  Looking at my calendar i'm not going to be able to make the match on the 18th unfortunately.  I'll definitely show up next month at Somerset.  

Looks like theres a match I can attend on 5/25 match at Easton.  I took the NRA First Steps pistol course 4 or so years ago, would that be a sufficient safety course to be able to shoot?

Also there appears to be one 5/11 at OBJRPC.  Anyone going to be there?

What is the process for obtaining a classification?  I am already a member of the IDPA.

You have to shoot a classifier match. I believe that Phillipsburg is holding a classifier a week from tomorrow.(5/10) although I am not 100% sure. It is a match that consists of sets of "standards". 90 rounds at short, medium and long distance, and your classification is based on your time. Go to the on-line rule book and you can find what the classifier consists of.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You are covered. Bring all your mags - it will save you some time between stages. The 15 rounders are nice because they preclude having to use a "Barney mag" - just load them up with 11 rounds. At the line, insert, rack, decock and holster - you're ready to go. You are not required to wear a cover garment for your first match. The SO may prefer that you don't, but bring it and if they allow it (Stu?) you'll be set. Your P226 will put you in SSP and you should bring at least 100 rounds - 150 is better. Matches at Somerset usually run - 60 - 72 rounds, but there are Vickers stages where you "Shoot 'til you're happy", plus you may have reshoots if there is an equipment malfunction (not your equipment - you have to muddle through that).

I'll see you there. My son is also shooting and his wife will be spectating in preparation for taking the Intro to IDPA for Women that Sandy (who'll also be there), Joanna and Ken are putting on on 6/1.

With 5 mags, if you have enough carriers, you can give USPSA a try also - two very different games, but equally enjoyable.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Bob has it all absolutely correct except a minor detail about the concealment garment. It is not a cover garment unless you put ballistic plates in it :jester:

There is no IDPA rule that says new shooters are exempt from wearing a concealment garment. However, many clubs, Somerset included, usually allow new shooters to go without one on safety grounds - one less thing for the shooter to worry about and it makes it easier for the SO to see what's going on. Not all clubs make this call so don't argue with the SO or MD if he tells you to cover up.

You asked for advice on your concealment garment. I suggest a light to medium weight canvas or denim jacket to start with. If you use a light shirt it won't have the weight to sweep back without wrapping around your hand when you draw. The rules say it must conceal your gun, holster and mags when you hold your arms up horizontal to the sides. I have seen many garments that are too short to conceal the bottom of a OWB holster. At a club match no-one is going to get snotty about it - it might not even get mentioned. Try to find something you already own that fits the bill - don't rush out and buy anything until you've had a chance to see what others are using and to get advice. At a sanctioned match it could earn you a DQ if it is found wanting.

The key thing to concentrate on in your first few matches is safety. There will be a timer running and your time will be way longer than anyone who has any experience. Don't worry about it. No-one shoots above Novice in their first match unless they have a ton of experience in another discipline such as USPSA. If we could all shoot at Master level on our first day, none of us would play - it would be too easy and therefore boring. It can be useful to set yourself a goal, of course. Try for down-0 to start, with no Prodecural Errors or Hits on a Non-Threat. The speed will come once you are familiar with what's going on.

First steps should be enough I think. Easton is usually a bigger match though. There will be 8-10, sometimes 12 stages. It's a long, tiring day for experienced guys - you'll likely be ragged by the end as a first timer.

First steps should be enough I think. Easton is usually a bigger match though. There will be 8-10, sometimes 12 stages. It's a long, tiring day for experienced guys - you'll likely be ragged by the end as a first timer.

Yea, it doesn't help that i'm not in the best shape so I'll have to keep that in mind.  Maybe i'll wait for the next smaller match.

You have to shoot a classifier match. I believe that Phillipsburg is holding a classifier a week from tomorrow.(5/10) although I am not 100% sure. It is a match that consists of sets of "standards". 90 rounds at short, medium and long distance, and your classification is based on your time. Go to the on-line rule book and you can find what the classifier consists of.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks I took a look at the classifier stages and they're pretty interesting.  All stuff i'll need to practice.

You asked for advice on your concealment garment. I suggest a light to medium weight canvas or denim jacket to start with. If you use a light shirt it won't have the weight to sweep back without wrapping around your hand when you draw. The rules say it must conceal your gun, holster and mags when you hold your arms up horizontal to the sides. I have seen many garments that are too short to conceal the bottom of a OWB holster. At a club match no-one is going to get snotty about it - it might not even get mentioned. Try to find something you already own that fits the bill - don't rush out and buy anything until you've had a chance to see what others are using and to get advice. At a sanctioned match it could earn you a DQ if it is found wanting.

The key thing to concentrate on in your first few matches is safety. There will be a timer running and your time will be way longer than anyone who has any experience. Don't worry about it. No-one shoots above Novice in their first match unless they have a ton of experience in another discipline such as USPSA. If we could all shoot at Master level on our first day, none of us would play - it would be too easy and therefore boring. It can be useful to set yourself a goal, of course. Try for down-0 to start, with no Prodecural Errors or Hits on a Non-Threat. The speed will come once you are familiar with what's going on.

Thanks for the advice (i'll have to adjust my terminology).  I've been dry training my draw and reload at home for about a half hour a night.  Still working on getting those motions down, especially the part where I don't completely miss the magwell.

I'll be at Ft. Dix tomorrow practicing live fire drawing and firing.  The DA/SA pull is killing my accuracy on the first shot.  I'm already looking into an M&P.

Yea, it doesn't help that i'm not in the best shape so I'll have to keep that in mind.  Maybe i'll wait for the next smaller match.

I meant more mentally exhausted than physically. There are rules about the maximum amount of movement allowed on a stage to try to level the playing field for us old, fat guys when we play with the young, fast guys.

Thanks I took a look at the classifier stages and they're pretty interesting.  All stuff i'll need to practice.

The classifier is meant to measure your skills against the rest of the field. If you practice just for the classifier you'll get placed higher than you're supposed to and you'll get  beaten badly at most matches. Practice your general skills that you'd apply to matches - sight picture, point shooting, reload drills, malfunction drills, transitions, etc. and the classifier will put you where you should be - kinda.

Thanks for the advice (i'll have to adjust my terminology).  I've been dry training my draw and reload at home for about a half hour a night.  Still working on getting those motions down, especially the part where I don't completely miss the magwell.

I'll be at Ft. Dix tomorrow practicing live fire drawing and firing.  The DA/SA pull is killing my accuracy on the first shot.  I'm already looking into an M&P.

Dry fire practice is a great way to hone your skills. Get some snap caps for reloading drills - mags with a round in the top tend to slide into the mag opening more reliably.

Bob has it all absolutely correct except a minor detail about the concealment garment. It is not a cover garment unless you put ballistic plates in it :jester:

Stu:

How do you know I wasn't talking about a hat?  :onthequiet:

To the OP: Don't keep putting it off - you'll always be able to find a reason to do that - find a match that works with your schedule and go for it. You aren't going to set the world on fire at your first match anyway, so it really doesn't matter whether it's Easton or Somerset. I will say that one of the benefits of Easton is that Ken can be very creative with stage design, so if you get through that, you will be well set for any match. Also, because of the length, you have the opportunity to immediately put into play things you learn on the previous stages.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

So it looks like my first match will be on 5/25 at Easton.  I have a few questions out via e-mail to Ken (listed as match director) and am still waiting on a response.

In the mean time, I had a few questions about what class I would be in.  The handgun I plan on using is a Sig P226 Elite.  This was the handgun that originally came with the wooden grips.  I've since swapped those out for the slimmer e2 grips and like them quite a bit more.  Now, looking at the IDPA rules, it seems that checkering on any non-replaceable frame part and front cocking serrations put me in ESP.  Does this still apply if the gun comes from the factory with those modifications?  The rules are somewhat confusing as this is a production gun, not a special one-off.

Also, anyone else planning on going to Easton on the 25th?

The checkering, stippling, etc. that is prohibited is that which is added. Your P226 will be in SSP and you start with the hammer down (round chambered - at the direction of the SO - and decocked using the decocker).

I started gun games (this time around) with a P226ST and had to shoot it in ESP because of the weight. They have since upped the maximum allowable weight for SSP and I could shoot it in SSP now if I chose to do so. But revolvers are so much more fun.

Ken is pretty good about answering e-mails.

I intend to be at Easton, and while I can't speak for Stu, I imagine he'll be there too - as, I'm sure, will be other board members.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I will be at PPC this Saturday and SCFGPA next Sunday (I'll be the acting MD you poor, unfortunate people - bwahahaha!)

I hope to get to Easton but my honey-do list might need attention by then.

Hey Mr. Stu i also am interested in IDPA where would I go to get classified and does that count as the safety class? If not where could i go for the safety class....

I think I need to clarify what's a requirement as per IDPA and what are local club requirements.

When you go to your first match at any club you will be given a safety briefing which will cover the rules as provided by IDPA and any location specific items. This has always been the case.

Last year the rule book was revised and text was added stating that the Safety Officers carried more responsibility for the shooters' actions. Some clubs brought in a local rule that previously unknown shooters needed to prove a minimum level of safety awareness before being accepted into a match. For Philipsburg, Easton and Hellertown the rule is you must have passed an NRA safety course or have proof of previous practical shooting sports participation as evidenced by holding a classification in IDPA, USPSA or ICORE.

At Somerset we do not have this requirement but you will still receive a safety briefing. If you display unsafe gun handling you will be disqualified and will not be allowed to shoot for the rest of the day - just the same as anyone else, noone gets a pass for a safety violation. If we feel that you are just too unfamiliar with handling your gun we will advise you to get some training before attempting another match. IDPA is not a good way to learn to shoot. You need to have the fundamentals of shooting in your toolkit already before you can learn to shoot any of the practical shooting sports.

There is no need to rush to get classified. It is intended to be a way to measure your level of skill so you compete against similar folks. For your first few matches you should be concentrating on safety and procedure and your times will not be comparable to anyone else. Once you have learned the game then it becomes more important.

If you want to shoot IDPA at one of the clubs that require a minimum level of training then I recommend getting at least an NRA first steps course under your belt. It will be accepted as a nationally recognized qualification that can be used for more than just getting into your first IDPA match. You can get into a course at most of the commercial ranges in NJ or ask on these forums for qualified instructors. There are many of us on here and I sure you'll be able to find one in your area that can help you out.

If you are asking about an IDPA specific class I haven't heard of one that is run regularly. I could meet you at EFGA (or a range you can guest me into that allows holster work) and go over the basics if you like.

@Kimber45

Somerset is a great venue for the new or experienced IDPA shooter (next match: Sunday 5/18). This is an indoor match and is therefore limited as to the number of shooters that the venue can handle comfortably. I just checked and there are still four openings. Go here...

http://www.somersetidpa.com/matches/

scroll down and click where it tells you, to go to the registration page.

I assume from your board name that you will be shooting in the CDP division.

Hope to see you there.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks Mr. Stu and pizza bob for that info this is something iam really looking to pursue.... Mr Stu we could meet at easton fish and game iam rdo on sun thru weds... so let me know what time is good for you... Pizza bob yes i run my kimber compact as my off duty..... so i assume that i can run that without a problem only mods are grips and trijicon night sights oh and some skateboard tape on the front grip... ill get it checkered someday..... thanks again guys....

Things are pretty busy for me for the next 2 weeks. How are you set for 26 thru 28 May? Is there anyone else who would like to join us for an introduction session?

I wish I could but work keeps me out of the house for the majority of weekdays.  

I should be free actually. I'll know for sure closer to the event. What would the time/place end up being?

It would be at EFGA and the time would be whatever fits the people wanting to come.

Is there much interest in an introduction session? I can book one of the special events bays so we won't be disturbed by anyone else.

I'm thinking of Sunday June 1st at 2pm but we can adjust if that doesn't work for people. I will provide targets, pasters, stands, timer and instruction.

You would need to bring:

a pistol or revolver

2 mags/speedloaders minimum

strong-side hip holster that covers trigger guard completely

mag/speedloader pouches

100-200 rounds depending on how many people attend and how long we go on for

Eye and ear protection

To cover costs I would need to charge $20 per head.

I'm in.  Putting it on my calendar now.  May see if one of my friends is interested in going too.

Is there much interest in an introduction session? I can book one of the special events bays so we won't be disturbed by anyone else.

I'm thinking of Sunday June 1st at 2pm but we can adjust if that doesn't work for people. I will provide targets, pasters, stands, timer and instruction.

You would need to bring:

a pistol or revolver

2 mags/speedloaders minimum

strong-side hip holster that covers trigger guard completely

mag/speedloader pouches

100-200 rounds depending on how many people attend and how long we go on for

Eye and ear protection

To cover costs I would need to charge $20 per head.

Check these dvd's out. They have some outstanding entry level primers that will give you an idea of what's involved in IDPA and the rules for equipment, shooting matches and tricks to stage success.

http://panteaoproductions.com/dvds?category=competitive