mustang69

Sig P227 - any experience?

Hey all,

I just picked up a Sig P227 - it's a double stack that holds 10 rounds of .45acp goodness.  I got the SAS model that has all the rounded edges and the SRT trigger.  Anyone got any experience with it?  I'll head to HG Easton first thing in the morning, was wondering if anyone had an opinion on it.  I also have a P229 in .40, .357sig and .22lr so I'm hoping the P227 feels similar.

Let me know if you're there and you're welcome to try it.

Yes, I know pictures but I don't have any yet.

Thanks.

A friend (whos also a forum member) had issues with the finish and had to send it back to sig. He only had it for a very short period before it began wearing off.

That being said I love my 226 and I shoot it better than most of my other pistols.

ok, put 50 rounds through it this morning.  If you've shot a sig and liked it, you'll like this one too.  The grip felt the same as my 229, only it seemed a bit softer on recoil with the .45 compared to the .40, though that could just be my mind trying to find something different to justify the purchase.  Sig says the grip on the 227 is a bit larger than the 229 but I couldn't really feel it.  I will say, though, when I tried Equinox grips on my 229 they felt much bigger than either the stock grips from the 229 or the E2 grips on the 227.  The Equinox grips felt so much fatter I had to take them off.  I enjoyed the P227.  Nice and accurate once I got used to the SRT trigger.

I wanted to share this offer I saw:

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/139994

Sig P227 FDE - It is basically like a MK-25 or M11-A1 Desert ... it is CeraKote'd in Flat Dark Earth and on a big sale, $789.95 ... that is over $400 off retail price.  PLUS while it is not labeled a special edition like the MK-25-D or M11-A1-D it is in fact equipped like them, has the full-size picatinny rail, SIGLITE Night Sights, and looks like it comes with two 10-round magazines... This is a sweet .45ACP combat pistol/service pistol.  I want a 1911 first if I am to get into a .45ACP platform ... but this is a sweet sweet deal

So those of you that also have 1911s at a comparable price point, which would you keep if you had to choose? I already have a P229 and know I like the platform. Anecdotally, I get the feeling that 1911s are more subject to reliability issues and can be high maintenance.

I have several 1911s, a p229, the p227 discussed here and several other handguns, both semi-auto and revolvers.  Between the 1911 and the p227, which would I choose if I only could keep one?  That depends on what it was for.  In NJ, where it's mostly for shooting holes in paper it would be a 1911, just because I've always been a fan and they just feel right.  For a carry gun in free America, it would be the P227.  Open up the choices of carry guns and there are several better choices for concealed carry IMO.

ok, put 50 rounds through it this morning. If you've shot a sig and liked it, you'll like this one too. The grip felt the same as my 229, only it seemed a bit softer on recoil with the .45 compared to the .40, though that could just be my mind trying to find something different to justify the purchase. Sig says the grip on the 227 is a bit larger than the 229 but I couldn't really feel it. I will say, though, when I tried Equinox grips on my 229 they felt much bigger than either the stock grips from the 229 or the E2 grips on the 227. The Equinox grips felt so much fatter I had to take them off. I enjoyed the P227. Nice and accurate once I got used to the SRT trigger.

50rds? I go through 50rds in less than 10min. Report back when your up to 300rds in a 1 hour range session.

50rds? I go through 50rds in less than 10min. Report back when your up to 300rds in a 1 hour range session.

Wasn't the only handgun I brought.  Shot those 50 rounds, 50 rounds of .44 Special and another 50 of .44 Magnum through a Super Redhawk, 100 rounds through a 1911 in .45, 50 rounds of .45 through an SR45 and 50 rounds of .40s&w through a baby desert eagle.   That makes:

50 rounds of .44 Special

50 rounds of .44 Magnum

200 rounds of .45

50 rounds of .40 s&w

I think that trumps your 300.  :) 

Wasn't the only handgun I brought.  Shot those 50 rounds, 50 rounds of .44 Special and another 50 of .44 Magnum through a Super Redhawk, 100 rounds through a 1911 in .45, 50 rounds of .45 through an SR45 and 50 rounds of .40s&w through a baby desert eagle.   That makes:

50 rounds of .44 Special

50 rounds of .44 Magnum

200 rounds of .45

50 rounds of .40 s&w

I think that trumps your 300.   :)

TOUCHÉ