Sign in to follow this  
DJNEB

Remington Ammo quality?

I am planing on hitting a range Tuesday to shoot my new 9mm and was thinking of going to Dicks tomorrow to get some ammo for my guns.  I know my Dicks carries "Remington 9mm UMC cartridges" in bulk for a fairly inexpensive price.  Anyone have any experience with this ammo as far as quality and jamming issues?

I purchased a box of 250 Remington UMC 9mm a couple years ago.  There was an issue with the crimping, and the bullet could actually be pushed into the case with my fingers.  I found 38 bad rounds out of the entire 250.  These rounds also jammed me up in the middle of a match.  After getting thrown around a bit, they had me send in the bad rounds, and they sent me a box of 50.  Not a full box of 50, they went out of their way to open the box up, and remove 12 rounds to give me the full 38.  Yes, they technically made good on their end, but I guess the notion of "sorry for your trouble" is long gone.  I'm sure that any issues they've had are resolved, however I refuse to purchase any Remington ammo.

I'm not sure the words "Remington" and "quality" should be in the same affirmative statement.  Their UMC 9mm ammo was meh and dirtier than MagTech's stuff (and that's saying a lot!) and their Golden Bullet .22LR is definitely not the best I've ever seen.

Alright guys - thanks for all the input.  I have an additional question.  Now, this will probably sound stupid to all of you, but since this is for my first handgun, I am a little confused about the labeling of 9mm ammo.  I have seen ammunition labeled as simply "9mm" and then quite a few labeled as "9mm luger".  What is the difference between these two, if there even is a difference?  Will a handgun chambered in 9mm take 9mm luger?  Probably a noob question but just want to make sure I am using the right ammo.

All the same. 9mm =9mm Luger= 9mm parabellum =9x19mm=9x19 parabellum=9mm NATO.

NATO rounds might be +P rated . But mostly it's all the same.

except Makarov, obviously...

And Kurz...

Long story short...

9mm = 9mm Luger = 9mm Parabellum = 9x19mm

9mm Makarov = 9x18mm

Then there's

9mm Short = 9mm Kurz = 9mm Corto = 9x17mm = .380 ACP

But if it's just labelled 9mm, it's going to be 9x19mm

All the same. 9mm =9mm Luger= 9mm parabellum =9x19mm=9x19 parabellum=9mm NATO.

NATO rounds might be +P rated . But mostly it's all the same.

This is correct. IIRC "Luger" is a copyrighted name owned by Stoeger. The pressure of 9mm NATO falls between SAAMI standard and +P.