maintenanceguy

When You Move to America, What will You Carry?

The other thread was too depressing considering today's news.  I need something to hope for - which is now just getting out of this Constitution-forsaken state.

So, for those of us who plan to escape to America someday, what will be your primary carry gun?

I happen to have done so a few years ago. I could not decide what to carry so I bought 8 carry guns in all sizes and weights. They did not last long. I was under the mistaken idea that one gun could do it all and like most things, one size does not fit all situations. :) Here is what I ended up with for carry;

Sig P928

S&W 340PD

HK P2000SK

S&W 637 Gunsmoke edition

Sig M11-A1

Sig P238

M&P Bodyguard

NAA Pug .22 magnum

I would say that I carry my 340PD the most as it is only 11 ounces and has a laser grip. Second would be the P938. For trips to higher risk areas I go with the P2000SK in an Mtac IWB holster or Sig M11-A1. The Bodyguard is my small lightweight carry gun for when I do not need a gun as is the Pug which fits in the waterproof pocket of my swim trunks. :)

I pocket carry the most as it is the most comfortable and easiest. If I am going to be sitting down a lot, like driving, I will belt carry the same guns or one of the larger ones. When I travel through the National Forest, I carry an FN FNX45 in a Wilderness Tactical Safepacker, loaded with some Buffalo Bore 255 gr. .45 ACP +P Hard Cast ammo. Made specifically for black bear.

So there is no one gun. I do not know one person here who only carries one gun. In the winter, if you can call it that, most will carry a larger gun when they wear a light jacket. During the summer when the temperature can reach close to 100 degrees, you will find a lot of people carrying Ruger LCP's and similar.

If I had to carry just one gun I would lean towards the M&P Shield and Sig P938 for semi autos and the S&W 642 or Ruger LCR for revolvers.

I moved to Florida last month, I have been here for just over a full month.  I sent my CCW application in the mail today actually, and ordered a Sig P226 MK25.  

I will probably carry my Glock 23 more than this Sig but once in a while I'll carry the Sig, and will hopefully in the 90 days they have taking for the permit, I will get a Glock 27 for primary carry duties.

People who don't want to move, I did not either for a long time but there is no real reason to stay in NJ, it's so terrible and so oppressive and obviously most expensive.

Moving to FL has been a literal life-altering thing and I just feel better every day.

Well I ordered two holsters for the Sig P226 MK-25 I ordered... one IWB leather holster from Galco (I have had two Galco holsters for my Glock and both were extremely good for low price) and I ordered a Blackhawk Serpa 'concealment' holster... This is pretty cool.

It's a hard-plastic-like paddle holster that is designed for concealment but OWB carry.  Now I am going to just come out and admit it: I probably will never be able to pull off carrying in this fashion.  I am a 5'8" dude, 140lbs.  Not much size to me.  So it's hard to even come up with a good OWB concealment plan.  Plus, I am living in Florida.  While I understand it does in fact get cold in the winter, the winters are shorter and milder and a ways off from now.  Another major item of consideration for me is, Florida is a no-open carry state, and furthermore is extremely picky about "concealment".  I do remember in the past few years reading occassional stories on both gun blogs/gun news sites and actual news sites how people have had police called on them, and charged, or simply picked out in public, for printing or improperly concealing ... I still remember reading a cop's quote in an article saying "Concealed is concealed" and I remember both a shirt riding up that exposed a gun, AND a printing-gun-in-shirt situation, where people got citations

So why get this holster?  Well a few reasons.  I just bought a DA/SA gun with no manual safety, so it needs to be in a holster even when not being carried.  If it's going to be a HD gun I may keep it in different places in the house/bedroom but it will need to stay in the holster-this is perfect for it.  PLUS, while I cannot open carry in public, I can on my land and I have 30 acres we're going to build on eventually.  So while I prowl my property with my pup I can use this holster.  And last, I can probably give this a go in the winter under a few layers, like an over-covering shirt and jacket.

As you can probably tell... I am excited.  I moved down over a month ago but I had a lot of other things to worry about so far... yesterday I not only mailed my completed application for CCW but I ordered a new Sig, so hopefully good gun times are around the corner.

Moved to western NC last week. I carry my SA EMP 40 in a milt sparks VMII or my sig M11-A1 in an alien gear holster. If you guys are looking for a decent and cheap holster, try the alien gear. Hides the sig well and is pretty comfortable to carry at the 3-3:30 position.

Moved to western NC last week. I carry my SA EMP 40 in a milt sparks VMII or my sig M11-A1 in an alien gear holster. If you guys are looking for a decent and cheap holster, try the alien gear. Hides the sig well and is pretty comfortable to carry at the 3-3:30 position.

How long did it take you to get your carry permit down there?

Same here. It is a life altering experience. BTW, it only took me 13 days to get my ccw after I mailed it in. I think you will find the Sig 226 a beast to carry for more than an hour or so. I had one. The P229 is smaller and much more agreeable to being carried for extended times.

Life is so much better here among people and a State government that are pro-gun. Until I moved out of NJ did I realize the fundamental difference between there and here. In NJ we fought to reduce or soften the steady stream of anti gun laws. Here, we push for more and more pro gun laws. NJ gun owners are on the defense while here we are on the offense. A big difference that I did not even realize for the first few years.

Carrying a gun with me is now as natural as carrying my cell phone and wallet. I could never live in a gun restrictive State again now that I have tasted freedom. :) I

Same here. It is a life altering experience. BTW, it only took me 13 days to get my ccw after I mailed it in. I think you will find the Sig 226 a beast to carry for more than an hour or so. I had one. The P229 is smaller and much more agreeable to being carried for extended times.

Life is so much better here.

I ageee the 226 is much bigger than the 229. the M11A1 is basically a 229. It is very comfortable and well hidden in my alien gear holster. For 30 bucks you really can't beat that holster. 

Old Dog when did you do your app? I just moved to FL myself, and I mailed my app on Monday morning. I was told not to expect a day before 90 days for it, providing it isnt returned for some reason. (I am quite certain I did it right and shouldn't have a problem, but, I am the type who gets screwed all the time and always has a problem. Mayhe my ink won't be right or picture too ugly etc). Anywsy did your 13 day permit happen recently?

I did mine 4 years ago. They were talking about a 90 day delay back then too and I was shocked to get it in 3 weeks. It might have to do with my relationship to some Federal security agencies who just vetted me.

I have decided I dont like small guns to carry. I will be working on a new carry piece. Either an m&p pro 9mm or glock 19.

Have you tried the 19 yet, I just switched to the 26 for carry