NYMetsFan86

Id like to build a Glock.....any tips?

I'd like to build a Glock most likely an assembled lower frame but not definitely. I'll   I am fairly comfortable with disassembling and reassembling pistols, and would certainly take my time sourcing parts. have any of you built your own Glocks before. What are some main dos & don'ts? Can you recommend any parts that are good to have when building one? I find I end up swapping parts and sometimes doing trigger jobs on my pistols anyway, and i love to build things (mainly Ar's). Any experienced members care to share? thanks

I know Lone Wolf Distributors sell their Timberwolf frame either stripped or assembled.   Glock replacement.  Does always have a backorder status.

Glockmeister sell frames, as well as others.  How much you would save I don't know.  But, if you are building a custom build this would be one way to go.

This would be a custom build, and i am not to concened about the end result being 600ish ready to fire, as parts will be purchased over time. However I saw multiple glock 19 frames on gunbroker for 180 shipped (220 after transfer/nics) as well as the OD 19 frame here....

http://www.glockmeister.com/GLOCK-Gen-3-Complete-Compact-Olive-Drab-Lower/productinfo/LOWODCOMP/

Im leaning towards the OD Frame but it dosent seem as cost effective.  I would probably prefer it stripped if there are solid options for aftermarket fire control groups. if I would be limited to basically installing a FCG in a stripped fram, I would rather it be pre assembled. The Slide I intend to do myself, and I understand the barrel will be an expense in itself. 

I fully intend to price it out before diving in...

I would consider lower for 40/357sig.  Aftermarket barrels would give you 9mm capability.  This way with a 22LR slide you could use 22LR, 9MM, 40, 357Sig all on the same lower frame customized with your trigger, etc.  Lone Wolf 9MM barrels work great with it. 

I considered a "Glock build" as opposed to a Glock purchase, but after pricing about only half of the parts list, the cost was far too high to justify (in my mind) the satisfaction of a build.

My AR build was highly satisfying (and highly expensive)... but it was also highly customized. That's not really the case with a custom Glock though, so you may be better off buying one, and then modifying any parts that you would prefer to customize afterwards. It may (emphasis on "may") actually be cheaper to do it that way.

If you do build one.... very cool though.

Has anyone else here built one from parts only? 

I would consider lower for 40/357sig.  Aftermarket barrels would give you 9mm capability.  This way with a 22LR slide you could use 22LR, 9MM, 40, 357Sig all on the same lower frame customized with your trigger, etc.  Lone Wolf 9MM barrels work great with it. 

so you are saying g23 frame? I would enjoy the compatibility but from what your saying you would want to start with a 22 slide in general and then choose your barrel? apologies for my lack of ability to absorb this concept, im confused

I considered a "Glock build" as opposed to a Glock purchase, but after pricing about only half of the parts list, the cost was far too high to justify (in my mind) the satisfaction of a build.

My AR build was highly satisfying (and highly expensive)... but it was also highly customized. That's not really the case with a custom Glock though, so you may be better off buying one, and then modifying any parts that you would prefer to customize afterwards. It may (emphasis on "may") actually be cheaper to do it that way.

If you do build one.... very cool though.

Has anyone else here built one from parts only? 

I see what you are saying with that. I have seen some stripped slides, even lone wolf, selling pre-owned that look very good. Ill post a price breakdown when I get one together

Ill post a price breakdown when I get one together

That would be great. 

I've got another permit that's burning a whole in my pocket, and since I'm not really a handgun guy, I'm really at a loss as to what to do with it.

I've got my Glock 19 (which I love!) so I'd much rather burn it on a Glock build if the cost is at least somewhat justifiable. 

So I'd love to hear what you come up with.

Sorry for the confusion.  There are aftermarket slide for 22lr conversion. Have one for my glock 21 (45acp). Advantage Arms.

A G23 Slide could be used with an aftermarket 9MM barrel and magazine. 

Or a 357sig barrel and 40 mags.

Giving you 4 caliber capability all on the same receiver.

Do what I did i bought a used... i mean used glock 23 gen 3 for 280 bucks private sale. Stripped it down, sent the slide out to be recoated, replaced all the guts and the springs with a Ghost trigger set up and a new recoil spring assembly. Did the ghost trigger set up for 3.5lbs and a flared magwell. Its nice I have the Lonewolf 9mm and threaded 40sw barrel. I love it. If I remember when I get home next week ill share a pic or 2

Sorry for the confusion.  There are aftermarket slide for 22lr conversion. Have one for my glock 21 (45acp). Advantage Arms.

A G23 Slide could be used with an aftermarket 9MM barrel and magazine. 

Or a 357sig barrel and 40 mags.

Giving you 4 caliber capability all on the same receiver.

that is interesting, No issues with ejection using a 23 slide (obviously 9mm barrel) with 9mm ammo? If its just a barrel swap that would be great and a bit of a money saver, but i thought I read something about different ejector...could be wrong though

If you consider building from the larger G20/G21 or G29/30 frames, you have even more options using conversion barrels:

10mm (my favorite)

45ACP

40S&W

357Sig

9mm

The extractor (and ejector I think) is the same for 10mm, 40S&W and 357Sig. And 10mm magazines can be used to reliably feed all three since their cases are the same diameter. 

excellent input thank you, id like to keep it compact as i do not have a compact handgun or a DAO yet for that matter. for now it will be spec'ed to 9mm

I Actually need a source for complete parts list and schematic come to think of it...

edit: nevermind found one

http://glock.pro/attachments/glock-pistols/1836d1319544113-exploded-glock-parts-list-glock-parts-1-.jpg

Interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome of your comparison. As I had mentioned, I would love to build my own Glock (as long as it's not overly price prohibitive compared to a new purchase), so this is going to be very interesting to see what you come up with.

My original plan did not include cannibalizing a used Glock, so I'm curious to see if that's actually worth doing. (since I'm assuming that the used Glock is already functional?).

Anyway, I find your approach quite intriguing.

Interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome of your comparison. As I had mentioned, I would love to build my own Glock (as long as it's not overly price prohibitive compared to a new purchase), so this is going to be very interesting to see what you come up with.

My original plan did not include cannibalizing a used Glock, so I'm curious to see if that's actually worth doing. (since I'm assuming that the used Glock is already functional?).

Anyway, I find your approach quite intriguing.

it would be functional yes...I decided to tweak it a little bit. CLEARLY the build is exspensive... PM me your email ill send you the spreadsheet.

Thanks for the details. But as I learned the last time that I looked into a Glock build, it appears that I would need to content myself with completely disassembling and then reassembling my existing G19 if I wanted to "build" my own Glock for a justifiably worthy cost. 

Maybe some day, but for now I don't want to mess with her.... because she shoots like a beautiful filthy angel ; )

So what are you gonna end up doing?

thats good info. Its funny you revived this thread because my permits should be in any day, and it really was coming out neck and neck for building v.s. buying and swapping parts. I'll check them out

I did end up buying a gen 3 19 and swapping some parts, I am using that for IDPA until I get my 17 or convert a 22

I recently completed my Glock 22 build. I bought a stripped Lone Wolf lower years ago and have been slowly putting it together. It is an easy build as long as you are somewhat mechanically inclined. For the slide remember this: metal touches metal, plastic touches plastic. This helps with the pins and such. It was nice to be able to build it with the parts I wanted, my only observation is the magazines are a little tight in the gun and do not drop free.

I recently completed my Glock 22 build. I bought a stripped Lone Wolf lower years ago and have been slowly putting it together. It is an easy build as long as you are somewhat mechanically inclined. For the slide remember this: metal touches metal, plastic touches plastic. This helps with the pins and such. It was nice to be able to build it with the parts I wanted, my only observation is the magazines are a little tight in the gun and do not drop free.

Thanks for the input. Have stripped and rebuilt glock from bare bones a few times. No worries at all with assembly. More cost issue. Building.over time is also a valid option

yea just checked outsource...will most likely be converting a cheap glock 22 or buying a 17. Outsource tac had frames similarly priced to gunbroker. still not really worth building from scratch

their price fluctuates.  a month ago gen 4 frames were like $220 with 3 magazines included.   then i saw them for $199.99 with one mag.  then they went down to like $180 or something.  I think gen 3 frames with no mags got as low as $155 or somewhere around there.