Brownie^HP

AutoCheck vs Carfax / I'm Looking for a small used SUV!

I'm in the market for a used small SVU. 1999 to 2004 Toyota RAV 4, Honda CRV or a Hyundai Tuscan.

I'm flexible on the price point, just need something decent to get to and back from work and run around locally with.

I thinking of getting the 30 day subscription to AutoCheck instead of Carfax. http://www.autocheck.com/consumers/gatewayAction.do?siteID=0

Any feed back on one or the other?

Also, if you are shopping for a used car we could split the $45 cost for the 30 day subscription to run unlimited VIN #'s.

Thanks

We used AutoCheck for a brief period at work. Went back to carfax after getting several vehicles that showed clean on autocheck, but later found accidents reported on carfax. The carfax network for reporting seems a good deal more comprehensive.

Good luck in your search.

Just my experience with carfax. 

My daughter had a 2003 Monte Carlo SS - all black. She got into an accident, bumper to bumper on the right side, including wheels, tires and front suspension. About 10K in damage.

Ordered a carfax report to list with the sale. A year after the accident no mention of it on the report.

If you can bump up your search to a 2006 Rav4 V6 I highly suggest it.  We've had one for almost 8 years and it's never had an issue beyond normal wear items.  I recommend the V6 over the I4 as it makes it quick and somewhat sporty feeling.  As much as can be expected from a CUV.

I did the same thing. I had a big ass V6 sedan that was eating gas and my new job has me reporting to two spread apart locations. How is the V6 RAV 4 on Gas? I just picked up a pre-cert 2013 Rav 4. It has a 4 cylinder but it is pretty peppy and GREAT on fuel costs.

My situation was not at all representative, but the car I bought off a public auction had a squeaky clean Carfax history, nonetheless my mechanic found (and showed me) _obvious_ signs of accident(s) and subsequent repair(s).

Not that I am unhappy with the car (quite opposite in fact), but my 2cents is that you need to look at Carfax report only as *one* of the ways to know more about a car. Clean report guarantees pretty much nothing...

I did the same thing. I had a big ass V6 sedan that was eating gas and my new job has me reporting to two spread apart locations. How is the V6 RAV 4 on Gas? I just picked up a pre-cert 2013 Rav 4. It has a 4 cylinder but it is pretty peppy and GREAT on fuel costs.

The Rav4 is pretty light for an CUV and doesn't do to bad on the highway, maybe 25 to 27.  Drops down to about 20 to 21 around town if you're not a heavy foot (I am and it still isn't too bad).  It has a smaller tank (12 to 13 gallons) so it seems like you're burning more gas than you are cause your filling up more often than you would in a car with a 17 to 20 gallon tank.

I'm going to do some SUV shopping this weekend.

Thanks for all the good suggestions!

I'm going to do some SUV shopping this weekend.

Thanks for all the good suggestions!

I believe my neighbor has a '96 Chev. Blazer for sale ,if interested!