Sign in to follow this  
Recon Racoon

Educate me on Pietta black powder revolvers

So at Cabelas this weekend I was drooling over the handguns and saw a beautiful brass framed 1860 Army cap and ball by Pietta. I fell in love. 

Like seriously. Love. It had an amazing price tag attached to it, that is very very close to the realm of possibility. 

But before I buy, whats the general consensus on Pietta? Are they quality pieces? Or should they be avoided? 

If you fell in love witha Pietta 1860 Army - you'll drool over the 

High Standard 1851 Navy I have for sale.........................

You're killing me...how much do you have it listed at? 

Not that I'm ready to buy, I'm just curious. I don't even have a P2P yet.

Pietta are great quality made guns. I have a couple. I'm sure you'll be very please. Great part too is if you buy in PA it's just cash and carry. Are you looking to shoot it or just put it on the wall? Also dixons always had some nice used ones too.

So at Cabelas this weekend I was drooling over the handguns and saw a beautiful brass framed 1860 Army cap and ball by Pietta. I fell in love. 

Like seriously. Love. It had an amazing price tag attached to it, that is very very close to the realm of possibility. 

But before I buy, whats the general consensus on Pietta? Are they quality pieces? Or should they be avoided? 

Being you're from Carneys Point I must therefore presume you visited the new Cabela's in Delaware?  Going on that presumption, since purchasing a Cap and Ball in Delaware is just like PA, you can buy as many as you want as funds will allow (NO PERMITS REQUIRED) and secure them as you would a modern firearm (locked in a car's trunk, in the Pietta box they come in), and drive them across the border into the PRNJ!  At THAT point (border crossing) they become just like any other hand gun in NJ and are to be treated as such, so the famous "DIRECTLY to and from" rules of NJ law now apply.

As to the quality of Pietta:  New Pietta's are of higher quality than some of their older pieces of several years ago (fit and finish-wise).  Obviously some perfect examples of older guns are out there (as is the case with Rob's^^ above).  Generally the brass-framed models are lower-priced to get you "hooked" on the hobby.  The brass frames can't take the pounding of a steady diet of loads in excess of 25 grains of FFFg black powder (or equivalent).  This is because brass is softer than steel and eventually the brass frame will show signs of extreme wear under a steady diet of high-pressure loads produced by using more than 25 grains of powder.  Using just 25 grains (even though at least 35 grains will fit in the chambers) WINS competitions, so you needn't worry!  Basically, if you avoid trying to make a magnum outta yer pistol, you'll have years of good service life!  Also, do yourself a favor and just use real black powder.  It's LESS corrosive than the substitutes, and lower-powered than 777 powder that can cause damage to brass frames due to high pressure spikes!

As for personal experience with Piettas:  I own a Pietta-brand Remington 1858 New Model Army Stainless Buffalo model w/ 12" barrel.  It's simply beautiful, and VERY accurate, having won our Club's most recent Novelty Match using it last November with a score of 44 x 50 at 25 yards (Winning rifle score from SAME distance on same day was 48 x 50!).  My wife bought it for me for Christmas by merely putting it into her shopping cart at Cabela's in Hamburg, PA.  Like buying a wrench in a hardware store...........

I realize that it would be a haul for you to visit us in Old Bridge, but the experience would well be worth it!  Our Black Powder League has thus far produced more NRA Distinguished Experts in Muzzleloading than any other group, club or entity in the entire Country!  The League Chairman and myself are the only two Distinguished Experts in the entire Country to have both rifle and PISTOL DE's.  And Rob^^ is hot on our respective tails, having earned his DE in Muzzleloading Rifle at our Club.  It's not uncommon to see 15 hand gunners shooting black powder at our League Matches on the first Sunday during the warmer weather.

If I can be of any further assistance, just PM me for more details, cell number for a chit-chat, etc.

Welcome to the world of makin' SMOKE!  Hope to hear from ya soon!

Dave

NRA Double Distinguished Expert Muzzleloading Pistol AND Rifle

NRA Certified Instructor Muzzleloading Pistol and Shotgun

NRA Chief RSO

NRA Life Member

NMLRA Central Jersey Field Representative

Muzzleloading Pistol and Shotgun Hunter

Pietta are great quality made guns. I have a couple. I'm sure you'll be very please. Great part too is if you buy in PA it's just cash and carry. Are you looking to shoot it or just put it on the wall? Also dixons always had some nice used ones too.

I wouldnt be opposed to making it a wall hanger after I have some fun with it. Get it all nice and polished in a shadow box would be pretty cool over a fireplace. 

Being you're from Carneys Point I must therefore presume you visited the new Cabela's in Delaware?  Going on that presumption, since purchasing a Cap and Ball in Delaware is just like PA, you can buy as many as you want as funds will allow (NO PERMITS REQUIRED) and secure them as you would a modern firearm (locked in a car's trunk, in the Pietta box they come in), and drive them across the border into the PRNJ!  At THAT point (border crossing) they become just like any other hand gun in NJ and are to be treated as such, so the famous "DIRECTLY to and from" rules of NJ law now apply.

As to the quality of Pietta:  New Pietta's are of higher quality than some of their older pieces of several years ago (fit and finish-wise).  Obviously some perfect examples of older guns are out there (as is the case with Rob's^^ above).  Generally the brass-framed models are lower-priced to get you "hooked" on the hobby.  The brass frames can't take the pounding of a steady diet of loads in excess of 25 grains of FFFg black powder (or equivalent).  This is because brass is softer than steel and eventually the brass frame will show signs of extreme wear under a steady diet of high-pressure loads produced by using more than 25 grains of powder.  Using just 25 grains (even though at least 35 grains will fit in the chambers) WINS competitions, so you needn't worry!  Basically, if you avoid trying to make a magnum outta yer pistol, you'll have years of good service life!  Also, do yourself a favor and just use real black powder.  It's LESS corrosive than the substitutes, and lower-powered than 777 powder that can cause damage to brass frames due to high pressure spikes!

As for personal experience with Piettas:  I own a Pietta-brand Remington 1858 New Model Army Stainless Buffalo model w/ 12" barrel.  It's simply beautiful, and VERY accurate, having won our Club's most recent Novelty Match using it last November with a score of 44 x 50 at 25 yards (Winning rifle score from SAME distance on same day was 48 x 50!).  My wife bought it for me for Christmas by merely putting it into her shopping cart at Cabela's in Hamburg, PA.  Like buying a wrench in a hardware store...........

I realize that it would be a haul for you to visit us in Old Bridge, but the experience would well be worth it!  Our Black Powder League has thus far produced more NRA Distinguished Experts in Muzzleloading than any other group, club or entity in the entire Country!  The League Chairman and myself are the only two Distinguished Experts in the entire Country to have both rifle and PISTOL DE's.  And Rob^^ is hot on our respective tails, having earned his DE in Muzzleloading Rifle at our Club.  It's not uncommon to see 15 hand gunners shooting black powder at our League Matches on the first Sunday during the warmer weather.

If I can be of any further assistance, just PM me for more details, cell number for a chit-chat, etc.

Welcome to the world of makin' SMOKE!  Hope to hear from ya soon!

Dave

NRA Double Distinguished Expert Muzzleloading Pistol AND Rifle

NRA Certified Instructor Muzzleloading Pistol and Shotgun

NRA Chief RSO

NRA Life Member

NMLRA Central Jersey Field Representative

Muzzleloading Pistol and Shotgun Hunter

I totally forgot I could do that. I won't be able to to do it until the end of May now because of bills, but thats my ultimate goal is to buy one. I'll definitely be messaging you for advice about powder and caps once I get that far. 

Would you suggest trying to make paper cartridges, or should I get some experience under my belt before I start trying that?

I wouldnt be opposed to making it a wall hanger after I have some fun with it. Get it all nice and polished in a shadow box would be pretty cool over a fireplace. 

I totally forgot I could do that. I won't be able to to do it until the end of May now because of bills, but thats my ultimate goal is to buy one. I'll definitely be messaging you for advice about powder and caps once I get that far. 

Would you suggest trying to make paper cartridges, or should I get some experience under my belt before I start trying that?

I would strongly suggest you first deal with learning all about the safe operation of a Cap and Ball, and determine the proper powder charge it LIKES (this varies with each gun), then shoot it til you hit consistently.  Then and only then would I even try to get involved with making paper cartridges, since they require special paper that you have to chemically treat in single sheet form and then carefully dry (to guarantee ignition).

A visit to our League Shoot will be ENLIGHTENING!  You'll get to see things like custom-designed and built Pistol Loading Stands, holsters, and all sorts of accouterments in actual use during a match.  Our League Chairman will "give you a ride" (if you call him and introduce yourself).  In Philly-speak, you'll get "Hooked-Up" with everything ya need to make smoke, from the revolver to caps and powder to lead balls.  All that's required of you is that you pay attention to his safety lecture (just a few minutes).  So where else can you "try before ya buy" with a black powder revolver?

Let me know via PM when you might visit us on a first Sunday.  I'm available to answer questions during the day and SOME evenings.  Looking forward to hearing from you!

Dave

I highly recommend taking dave up on his offer. He taught me when I first got my muzzle loader. Great guy with all knowledge you'll ever need to make smoke and put balls in the 10 ring. 

Thanks for the Kudos!  I just noticed your Avatar says No. Carolina now?  When did ya escape NJ?

Take care.  I have forum friends down that way I could direct you to if you have questions about muzzleloading.

All the best!

Dave

I've been an Uberti guy for quite some time, always thought Pietta was low rent from the stories I hard, and products I've seen.  THAT being said, I recently acquired an 1860 Snubbie in .36 caliber, and I am very very impressed with the fit, quality, and function.  I will definitely look for another snubbie to match this one so I can shoot gunfighter.

Now comparing this recent purchase to my other Uberti's, this Pietta needed very little attention to make it run like a regular revolver without having to worry about jams......some light polishing and stoning here and there, and it functions much smoother.  I just need to slowly stone the bolt to reduce peening on the cylinder.  My Uberti's needed all kinds of stuff.......but as a disclaimer, I like to tinker with them, and I work my C&B's hard.

Cap and Ball 4evuh!!!