Melgamatic

Rifle legality flowchart! Did I get it right?

Here is a flowchart that attempts to answer the question we all get all the time: "Is this rifle legal in New Jersey?"  Please check it out and see if you think it's right.  Did I miss anything?

Once we get it right, I'll release it to the public domain and anyone can use it.

-Dave

14135278751_903c2396ad_h.jpg

Good Work Dave!

The beginning could be simplified by using "Semi-Automatic" as "NO" going straight to legal, removing the steps above it. I don't believe there are any regulations against bolt, pump, lever action, that I can think of off-hand.  Also the 15rd needs to be higher up in the chain before the Evil feature list.

Additional things to consider that effect legality:  16" OAL barrel,  pinned work for muzzle device or stock

ETA: boo just mentioned that as well.

The way you have it ordered, I could mistakenly think my AR with 30-round mags are legal.

I guess.  Your rifle isn't illegal, your magazine is.  An AR-15 with a 100-round magazine is still a legal rifle, right?

I'll think about how to include that, maybe as a note.

The way you have it ordered, I could mistakenly think my AR with 30-round mags are legal.

The gun would be legal if you follow the chart.  It's the magazine that is illegal.  You dont have to have the gun to be a felon, having the magazine alone would get you screwed... if I understand the law correctly.  Might be wrong

So I'm curious about how an AR MR2 maglock would fall into this chart.  For those unfamiliar with the MR2, it replaces the magazine catch and button with a two piece system as seen here:

14xml4o.jpg

The mag catch is secured to the redesigned release with a hex head screw.  The manufacturer's directions for permanent installation is to use red loctite on the threads then drill out the hex head once installed.  Once installed, to depress the magazine release, you must pull the takedown pin and pivot the upper receiver away from the lower.  This exposes the magazine to be either top-loaded or you can hit the mag release and it will drop.

So I'm curious about how an AR MR2 maglock would fall into this chart.  

Is that what they use in CA to avoid the removable magazine aspect of their AW laws?

I think how it affects the chart depends on whether or not NJ would consider a rifle with that as having a removable magazine?

Is that what they use in CA to avoid the removable magazine aspect of their AW laws?

I think how it affects the chart depends on whether or not NJ would consider a rifle with that as having a removable magazine?

It's a much more extreme measure than what CA is required to use.  I believe the MR2 is NY SAFE compliant as I've sold quite a few to NY in the last few months.

Version 2, fixes the grenade launcher confusion at the bottom of the evil features section, and adds a handy note reminding you that your magazines have to be 15 or less...

14115598216_1781d0ba4a_h.jpg

Just to confirm... this is only for "long guns/rifles," correct?  It would not apply to "shotguns," as the max tube capacity of a semi-auto shot gun is 6+1. 

Nice job.   You might also consider replacing 'flash suppressor' with 'muzzle device' and then split to legal or illegal based on the type of muzzle device.   The ultimate standard, as I understand it, is a two-part test (NJSP):

(1)  What is the design intent of the device (compensator, brake vs. flash hider)

(2)  Is the terminal opening close to the bore size (can you stick your pinky finger in it - if you can it's a flash hider)

This might assist someone coming into the state with a rifle already configured.   A threaded muzzle is fine so long as a permanent (pinned/welded) non-flash-hider device is installed.

Ironically, the one of the muzzle devices most often used as a NJ-legal device has an ATF letter saying that it's not a flash hider, yet it is advertised as being one.

Having a rifle that has a removable magazine doesn't ever make the rifle illegal. Only if the detachable magazine itself has a capacity greater than 15 rounds, then it would make the magazine itself illegal, never the rifle itself unless it has an internal magazine that holds greater than 15 rounds. Any consideration for bolt action rifles? Other than that, nice flow chart.

(1)  What is the design intent of the device (compensator, brake vs. flash hider)

(2)  Is the terminal opening close to the bore size (can you stick your pinky finger in it - if you can it's a flash hider)

Re #2, can some one show me the law, or AG letter?  I've heard a few people say this finger thing, but have never seen any official reference to it.  Also, whose pinky?  Mine is 2x the size of my wifes.