Sign in to follow this  
fadigi

Antique guns FFL requirement

I am confused about the antique gun FFL requirement. For example, an old flintlock is an antique as defined by NJ. An 1884 trapdoor is not because you can buy ammo. Is this correct? So why do I need a FFL for an old Flintlock. I keep re-reading the law an I still can't figure it out. Please explain it for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As far as I know, most states' antique gun laws are that the receiver must be manufactured before 1899 (pre-1899). There are some exceptions to that I am sure, so I would suggest researching it a bit more. As Henrym stated, NJ does not recognize antique gun laws.

I have a few Mosin's that are antiques. Since they are somewhat uncommon, they are quite collectible when you get your hands on them.

New Jersey used to recognize antiques as before 1898. That included cartridge guns if ammo was not commercially available or anything that didn't use a cartridge (black powder). That changed in the 70s when they changed the law and included everything.

Most states follow Federal law and all firearms made 1898 or before or any replicas not using fixed ammunition are not treated as firearms. If you go to Gold and Silver Pawn in Vegas you can buy an original 1873 SAA, Scofield, or anything else made 1898 or before. No paperwork needed and the seller doesnt need a FFL.