4 hours ago, CMJeepster said:

I was coming on just to post that! Thank you for getting there a full 4 hours ahead. :good: 

Chicago conceal carry holder guns down car thief after being shot at in the street (msn.com)

"WGN 9 reports that police have identified the fallen suspect as Darion Blackman. Blackman had a history of firearm run-ins with the law. He was arrested back in September for not possessing a valid Firearm Owner's Identification card."

I'm shocked. :facepalm:

Years ago I would find myself in filthadelphia and other cities late at night for work, so glad I don't need to anymore. Had a couple of accounts that would direct us to be gone before sundown and they weren't 24hr operations. Plenty of other accounts were and wouldn't hesitate to place an after hours service call. 

Someone attempted to mug my boss one night. He was carrying his tool bag with the shoulder strap and had his hand on his handgun inside a pocket of the tool bag. Quick/easy presentation of his handgun and the misunderstood citizen fled. He was a Pa resident and had his license to carry. I don't recall ever seeing or hearing a company policy about carrying on the job back then. There's written policies against it now, includes all offices in all states throughout the country. Someone from our Dallas office told me a story about when an HR rep from NY went down there for some type of training and the subject came up. The HR rep was taken aback over the thought of employees wanting to carry and even being able to. 

• Informative 1

On 12/10/2021 at 9:30 AM, kc17 said:

Years ago I would find myself in filthadelphia and other cities late at night for work, so glad I don't need to anymore. Had a couple of accounts that would direct us to be gone before sundown and they weren't 24hr operations. Plenty of other accounts were and wouldn't hesitate to place an after hours service call. 

Someone attempted to mug my boss one night. He was carrying his tool bag with the shoulder strap and had his hand on his handgun inside a pocket of the tool bag. Quick/easy presentation of his handgun and the misunderstood citizen fled. He was a Pa resident and had his license to carry. I don't recall ever seeing or hearing a company policy about carrying on the job back then. There's written policies against it now, includes all offices in all states throughout the country. Someone from our Dallas office told me a story about when an HR rep from NY went down there for some type of training and the subject came up. The HR rep was taken aback over the thought of employees wanting to carry and even being able to. 

The employee handbook for the company I work for has a similar policy in it - it says an employee may not be in possession of a firearm while on company business.

I have the fortune,  for all intents and purposes, to be on call 24/7 but receive no compensation for it. I have used the policy in the company handbook a few times to refuse a call out as I was at the range and already in possession of a firearm. With no way to legally dispossess myself of the firearm, it was company policy that I could not take the call and do any work. Truly a shame, it was.

• Haha 1

We had a rotating on call schedule; you were expected to have the on call pager with you at all times, then your cell phone when we went to that, as well as vehicle, tools, parts, etc... We used our personal vehicles and got mileage. Back then we got paid a whole one hour OT for every eight hours on call, then OT door-to-door. They eventually increased the standby pay, long after I was eligible.

When I was a manager, I had to handle on call with no pay. Dispatch didn't work after hours. The customer number rang over to an answering service, the answering service took name/number and paged the on call manager. The manager had to call the customer, explain the charges and contact the on call tech. When the on call tech didn't respond the manager had to find someone else or do the call himself. This was also one tech to cover the lower 2/3 of NJ, "Eastern Pa" (about 2-3 hours west of the Delaware River), all of Delaware, and about half of Maryland.

Originally we only offered service until Midnight during the week, but it went by when the customer called. Numerous times I'd get a call at 23:45 and we'd have to respond. Or two or three calls came in before midnight and I'd be out until 06:00 or so before getting getting to them all. Now they offer 24x7 and the customer pays a base fee just to be on the list, and an extra fee for the service call. They also offer true 24x7 contracts with no extra charges but only for the larger equipment. 

I don't miss any of it. 

41 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

It was Filthydelphia. They'll probably charge the kid with underage possession of a handgun. :facepalm:

• Haha 1

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/elderly-couple-use-handgun-to-defend-themselves-from-crazed-intruder/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20211224_FridayDigest_362&utm_campaign=/digest/elderly-couple-use-handgun-to-defend-themselves-from-crazed-intruder/

Guy randomly enters house of older couple. He's now dead for his trouble, but the wife of that residence is in critical condition from the guy's brutal attack.

Though I applaud that the couple defended themselves, I do have to ask... why have a gun for self-defense, and then leave your door unlocked so anyone can just walk right on in? I will NEVER understand people who don't lock their doors. It is perhaps the simplest and easiest method of crime prevention... EVERYONE should do it. Doors & windows, people.. LOCK 'EM UP!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

and then leave your door unlocked so anyone can just walk right on in? I will NEVER understand people who don't lock their doors. It is perhaps the simplest and easiest method of crime prevention...

It's probably the same people who don't lock their cars in the driveway, then cry when their stuff is stolen out of them.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, High Exposure said:

In my experience, leaving doors unlocked overnight is often an oversight (usually due to booze) or one person though the other did it.

I grew up a city boy and you locked everything. Still do although there is virtually no crime in my neighborhood.

I still know people who never lock their doors as they feel safe because they live in crime free neighborhood.  A mistake.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Stuff getting stolen from cars is the biggest crime in my neighborhood.

I'm lucky where I am. I'm the last house at the end of a a dead end road with no turnaround that is uphill by at least 30° and over 100 yards long.

The only people who come to my place either really want to see me, or are lost. Nonetheless, I lock my doors and my kids know to do that too.

Unpleasant hill + locked doors + German Shepherd Dog = lots of time to react to unlikely and/or unwelcome guests.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GRIZ said:

I grew up a city boy and you locked everything. Still do although there is virtually no crime in my neighborhood.

I still know people who never lock their doors as they feel safe because they live in crime free neighborhood.  A mistake.

Wifey and I both grew up in rural areas, where you never needed to lock your doors. Where we live now, it's a safe neighborhood, but I had to keep reminding her to lock the doors, she kept pushing back saying why?

Her reply was , "you can just go shoot the bad guy."  :facepalm:

The last couple of years there has been a few home invasions in the area, so finally I got her in the habit in locking the doors if we weren't going back out.

12 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

locked doors + German Shepherd Dog = lots of time to react to unlikely and/or unwelcome guests.

That's my primary reason to get another dog and to train him for a Level I defensive response.  That's his primary job. He's the first layer to provide a distraction, to give me the seconds needed to get set up with the appropriate "tools".

On 12/25/2021 at 12:41 AM, GRIZ said:

I used to never lock my door either, the whole safe town no crime thing. I changed my habits after going to a seminar with a firearms attorney. 

His advice was to lock your doors so a potential intruder could not use the "I just walked into the wrong house and the crazy gun nut shot me" defense. That made a lot of sense to me.

My layout is almost identical to Mr Stu's. Most who come down the road are lost or there to see me. I don't have a shepherd but a Redbone Coon Hound and a hyper vigilant Rat Terrier that barks at headlights that are 50 yards away. Nothing gets close to the house when she's downstairs without me knowing it.

• Like 1

Homeowner with Grandchildren Shoots, Kills Alleged Intruder

A homeowner who was at his Salem, Oregon, house with his grandchildren shot and killed an alleged intruder Sunday night just before 7 p.m.

KVAL reports the homeowner was with “his adult daughter and two grandchildren” when the alleged intruder tried to make entrance into the residence.

The homeowner shot the intruder, killing him.

The Marion County Sheriff’s Office said, “A 911 caller reported an unknown male was trying to break into the home before a resident shot the intruder.”
KOIN notes that the alleged intruder was identified as 42-year-old Peter Bishop.
Neither the homeowner, his daughter, or grandchildren were harmed in the incident.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.