Sign in to follow this  
ColtPistols

Internet Fraud Solutions

Has anybody ever had any luck getting restitution from internet fraud, if the scammers name and address are known? Also wondering about time constraints and who typically handles these cases. I've heard of IC3, but read that they don't do much because there's too many complaints to handle. Any other recourse?

The best luck I've had is a combination of the USPS postal inspector and the local PD making a visit. The latter doesn't always happen since some PDs are too busy and won't even take a fraud report. Other times, if they hear about one fraudster multiple times, they'll act on it.

Ha. Oh well. I seem to have great luck finding all the losers on the internet. I should have learned my lesson years ago. I'm not very good at all with computers, and I keep making the same mistake. The people I buy from are legitimate storefronts, but I seem to always buy the line "it's backordered", or possibly "it will ship soon", then it's too late to contest charges (I don't have, nor have I ever had a credit card). Then the business closes up shop due to numerous complaints, but at the time of my purchase they usually had good reviews.

So in hindsight, I'm now thinking that, at least for someone like me who forgets how to even check my own email, I should only buy from major recognized online retailers or at the physical location, and possibly no backorders ever? Is that what you internet savvy people do?

Why you don't have a credit card can be a problem.  At least they have an extra dispute layer.  Just pay it off and no fiscal harm in the end.

Paypal disputes used to be limited to $200 maximum in terms of restitutuon.  Not sure if that changed.  In my case, I got refunded that amount by a scammer on a cellphone purchase, but I had to eat the rest since it was a cash transfer to a "Paypal Verfied account".  Sure.

I tracked the guy down and he felt some pain in other ways I won't get into, but in the end I ate the excess cash loss.

Well, there's no problem finding this guy. Problem is getting police or anybody to do anything about it. Apparently there are a lot of loop holes in the law. I guess under certain circumstances a business can legally sell thousands of items, not deliver them, close up shop, and there is no recourse to get your money back. A credit card wouldn't have helped because this was a lot more than thirty days. Backordered items.

I've always been under the impression that no legitimate business charges for an item until it is shipped.

Scammers charge first.

For me, charge before shipping is a red flag.

Always use a CC to place an order, you get a grace period to pay for the item and a way to dispute a charge. Much easier they trying to get a company to give you back your cash. Debit / ATM / same as cash.

For places I don't have prior experience with or am not so sure of, I'd generate a new CC number for one use with an amount equal to the transaction. Never have worry of a card getting stolen or charged extra. This works well with anything they may have reoccurring charges that you may forget to cancel.