Mikey Bullz

Cherry ridge & steel targets

When I joined Cherry Ridge, I asked about steel targets and was told they were considering. I seem to remember reading in one of the most recent newsletters that they were going to have steel targets on the 100 yd rifle range. I haven't been up there yet this year, but did they put steel targets out? And do you know if you can use steel, like a dueling tree on the pistol range?

Thanks

It would be nice if they took the area on the far side if the pistol range and did something that would allow you to move and shoot verses the static line. Don't get me wrong I like going there, but movement and more steel targets would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The range currently has a plate that is

on the 100 yard line, it can be fired apon

from the specific section as indicated by

signage above the 4 ports with rifles up to .308,please varify you are not shooting any steel core or steel jacketed bullets.

more plates are planed and are in production as read this, you should see more within 6-9 months.

there is currently a plate on the pistol line at 50 yards,to be fired apon from port 26. again varify no steel bullets.

sorry,No run and gun in the ranges current

config. and only paper targets allowed,unless placed by the range.

up to .308.........I cast lead for my 45-70.....45 auto ...they not allowed...hmmmm.a gong at the 300 for frangibles/lead core .50's would be nice....oh wait this is n.j....and cr is scared.i follow the rules here but boy do I hate n.j. and all its sissy stuff.rant over....my 2c.  

up to .308.........I cast lead for my 45-70.....45 auto ...they not allowed...hmmmm.a gong at the 300 for frangibles/lead core .50's would be nice....oh wait this is n.j....and cr is scared.i follow the rules here but boy do I hate n.j. and all its sissy stuff.rant over....my 2c.

Tom, I feel your pain....

Your 45-70 is fine,

The plate rule is nothing "hotter" than

.308 ballisticly (in fact slugs are fine on the plate.12ga being aprox .54 cal.)

its a speed, possible riccoshay thing....

Steel on the high power range ?

I do not think we will ever see it,

but how knows, I never thought steel

would be on the ranges at all.

up to .308.........I cast lead for my 45-70.....45 auto ...they not allowed...hmmmm.a gong at the 300 for frangibles/lead core .50's would be nice....oh wait this is n.j....and cr is scared.i follow the rules here but boy do I hate n.j. and all its sissy stuff.rant over....my 2c.  

Any idea how much good steel targets cost? I want to get a gong and a tree for shooting on private land. I still like CR but often times I feel restricted, and I have access to a bit of private land to shoot on. 

Several companies make all kinds of steel targets, from mild A-36 to AR400 and the best AR500 (all mine are this).  Prices can vary greatly.  I would say if your handy buy a 12" or larger AR500 gong and build a cradle to hold it.  I have seen old steel swing set frames used, wood 4X4 posts, and other creative ideas.  

I have used JCsteeltargets for my last few orders.  It is a NPO that sells the plates made by youth in a training program to teach them a skill set.  With a standard shipping cost of $20 no matter how much you order kinda makes filling the box more fun.  Mail lady hates it though.

Any idea how much good steel targets cost? I want to get a gong and a tree for shooting on private land. I still like CR but often times I feel restricted, and I have access to a bit of private land to shoot on. 

Oh yeah? How much to join your range? LOL. Good for you that you have some private land to shoot on. I envy you.

Here is a good place to get quality steel targets. I was shooting them at a pistol course a few months ago and met the guns who run the company (they were in the class). They take alot of pride in making this stuff.

http://www.jerseytactical.com/products/JTCsteeltargets.htm

Update :steel core is no longer restricted on the 100 yard line steel targets

the following still applies

no armor piercing

no cartridge "hotter than" 7.62NATO ballistically

no cross firing on the steel

please speak with a RO if you need any clarification.

Thank You.

Update :steel core is no longer restricted on the 100 yard line steel targets

the following still applies

no armor piercing

no cartridge "hotter than" 7.62NATO ballistically

no cross firing on the steel

please speak with a RO if you need any clarification.

Thank You.

1. when did this happen?

2. I thought all steel core were designated as armor piercing. Can you explain the difference?

3. So some ammo that sticks to the magnet on the 100-yard range is ok, but other ammo not?

1. when did this happen?(about 2 weeks ago)

2. I thought all steel core were designated as armor piercing. (yes and no)Can you explain the difference?(steel core that will go through armor plate,with a specific rockwell hardness is AP, please refer to federal and state law.)

3. So some ammo that sticks to the magnet on the 100-yard range is ok, but other ammo not?

(Disregard the magnet test....

it was to test for steel core.)

(a lot of AP will not stick to a magnet

AP can contain non-ferous metals that do not stick to a magnet yet will peirce through steel plate)

hope that helps,if not next time you are a the range have and RO check your ammo.

(Disregard the magnet test....

it was to test for steel core.)

(a lot of AP will not stick to a magnet

AP can contain non-ferous metals that do not stick to a magnet yet will peirce through steel plate)

hope that helps,if not next time you are a the range have and RO check your ammo.

I was snagged last time shooting at the gong with 7.62x39 that stuck to the magnet. The RO let me shoot at my stand, however. But other folks on here say even that is verboten due to fire hazard. Not sure what materials in the berm behind my stand could catch fire. 

about 2 years ago steel ban was in effect

on the 100 yard rifle line

then it was lifted ,then we got steel targets

we restricted use of steel in those areas

only,now no restriction of steel core on

the steel targets

this applies only to the 100 yard rifle line.

all other ammo restrictions apply