Sign in to follow this  
Boejoula

Has anyone used Isis yet?

It's a new technology that basically puts a prepaid CC on your phone and using the NFC technology, allow you to hold your phone up to certain CC readers to make payment.

I just got on the S5 and decided to set it up. Wondering if anyone has experience with it. You get a free $50 credit to start and I was wondering what gun shops might take this haha!

I've used it before and it's a quick and easy way to pay. Not all stores take it, and I'm really sure if any gun stores would have the hardware to accept Isis payment.

Sent from my Galaxy S4

I used it on my S5 to pay for part of the S5.  Once I logged in, all I had to do was put the phone near the reader, and confirm on the screen I wanted to spend my $50 credit...pretty sure that was all there was to it.  It was fast, but I'll never use it again simply because I don't want to.  I logged out of Isis, disabled NFC, and then disabled the Isis app on my phone. 

Be aware they (Amex) will be sending you a physical "prepaid" card in the mail that they want you to load money onto.  I have to call Amex to delete the account...I haven't figured out how to get rid of it online...

I know u can install it but I had to side load the nexus gwallet apk for NFC payments to work. Did the FCC finally crack down on vzebon limiting apps yet?

Nope.

However, with Kit Kat (4.4), Google introduced Host Card Emulation (HCE). Prior to Kit Kat, your phone had to have a secure element to use Google Wallet, and carriers had more control over the secure element (including blocking certain apps from using it, such as Wallet). With Host Card Emulation, every Kit Kat phone has a secure element of sorts via software. License and contract agreements means that such parts of the OS can't be blocked or removed, meaning the Google Wallet is allowed to be on phones from every carrier. However, tap and pay is now disabled for phones that have OSes older than Kit Kat, due to the lack of HCE.

To summarize, Android Kit Kat 4.4 introduced Host Card Emulation = payment security via software = carriers can't block secure element hardware to prevent installation of Google Wallet (or any other payment program).

Currently using Wallet on Moto X on Verizon without root, sideloading, or device ID spoofing. Used to use Wallet on a Galaxy Nexus, on which you had to sideload or change your device ID to get around the Verizon block. I use it very often, usually at places like Quick Chek or McDonalds. The Mastercard PayPass locator app can help you find places to use it.