olderguy

UTAH no longer good in PA

Road trip to Texas is the last option to get a PA valid non-resident carry permit.. The 10hour training must be taken in TX.

I believe TX recently reduced the training requirement by half. It is now down to a single day course (less then 6 hours)

Anybody know a pro 2A judge that would approve a NJ CCW permit?

I've been asking this question for a while. Is there NO combination of police dept. and judge in this entire state who will break the mold? Nowhere? Is it required to be a judge in NJ to promise not to issue any concealed carry permits?

At least in NY you know if you want a permit you don't live in Staten Island or near Ithaca. 

As for Utah -- shame. This is what happens when we rely on others instead of getting off our asses and voting. 

Was this supposed to go into the Joke of the Day thread?

What's so f-ing funny about this question? Is NY a very pro-gun state? Yet look at this map. It shows that even in Bloomburger/Cuomo-land there is at least some variability in how permits are dispensed. Why not in NJ? Where is the diversity in our state?

NYPermitMap-FINAL.jpg

A similar-type map of NJ would show ALL RED. Tell me this is not pre-arranged. And yes, I have enough tin foil to last a year.

Yeah.... I found it f-ing funny......

Find me 1 post in the 700,000+ posts on this forum where someone said .... " Hey.... applied for my CCW in XXXX county and this judge approved it "

So yeah.... its a funny post.....

Well, look at it like this.... As part of the Drake disclosure is came to light that there are 1297 active permits that are good for 2 years..

The judges in this state are approving over 50 permits per month on average. I would be curious to see the break down by county to see if there was any place that stood out.

I don't thing it would make a difference in terms of trying to apply in a 2A friendly county for the average Citizen but it would be interesting just the same to see a break down.

Fortunately, my company has offices in all 50 states and my son wants to attend Culinary School in Charleston, SC...he graduates from Warren County Tech in June 2017 and by August, I plan on re-establishing my SC residency (shouldn't have left in '93 anyway)

Come on down. CWP wait times are dropping, Just heard 2 months for a few people. Mine was mailed out 2 weeks ago, So I should getit early July.

No Pa though which is funny because SC CWP is a pretty strict on their rules to get one.

I believe one can still drive in a car with an out of state CCW open/concealed... and open carry without permit.

I won't do that merely because if I accidentally cover I don't want to go to jail.

I believe one can still drive in a car with an out of state CCW open/concealed... and open carry without permit.

I won't do that merely because if I accidentally cover I don't want to go to jail.

Title 18

§6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.

(a) Offense defined.--

(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a felony of the third degree.

(2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a [FN1] valid license under this chapter but carries a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.

(b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:   

<snip>

(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or any other state.

<snip>  

(15) Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and the state under section 6109(k), provided:

(i) The state provides a reciprocal privilege for individuals licensed to carry firearms under section 6109.

(ii) The Attorney General has determined that the firearm laws of the state are similar to the firearm laws of this Commonwealth.

"Provided" in (15) is what her basis is for cancelling reciprocity

Edited to agree with above.....

What I don't really get is who PA is really fighting against by doing this first to FL and now to UT permit holders...

1) Criminals with illegal firearms - (sarcasm mode on) sure, they will definitely stop carrying now (if they haven't stopped already after losing FL) (sarcasm mode off)

2) Locals somehow ineligible to get PA CCW permit - UT had a requirement to provide them with a copy of home state permit, so does not apply

3) Locals just choosing the easiest way instead of applying for PA CCW - probably, the most logically realistic option... It might bring some dinero to local authorities in a form of CCW application fees... but still hard to believe

4) Residents of neighboring states like NJ and NY carrying in PA - also looks true... but the question then why such an attack on neighbors? Are we not welcome in PA anymore, LOL?

What I can say for sure is that my personal opinion of PA in general went down significantly after this - I was sure it was much-much gun-friendlier...  And I actually WAS in PA Sunday evening and was thinking about carrying a gun around, but later decided to leave it in the trunk and not bother. Apparently, it was a right decision (even not knowing about it).

What I can say for sure is that my personal opinion of PA in general went down significantly after this - I was sure it was much-much gun-friendlier... 

Yes, this.    I'm going to have to keep a close eye on PA over the next few years so when I finally make my exit out of NJ I don't just end up on the leading edge of another anti-gun state government.

i took the utah ccw class and received the ccw in march. this means that it was only usable for 2 months in pa... i wonder how many NJ utah ccw card holders are going to run into a legal problem when they carry in PA.  This updated info is not exactly front page news.  

It's been a bad few days for NJ gun owners.   Drake denied, 10 rounds passed both houses.  UT permits no longer work in PA.   I'm out in 3 years but I'm wondering where to go that's safe.  My children have a lot of years left in this country and I want to find a place where they can keep their rights for the next 70 years or so.   I'm not sure any place in the US is safe for that long.

Yeah.... I found it f-ing funny......

Find me 1 post in the 700,000+ posts on this forum where someone said .... " Hey.... applied for my CCW in XXXX county and this judge approved it "  

So yeah....  its a funny post.....

Maybe the poster didn't know or hasn't hung around this forum much. Before I joined I had no idea how oppressive the laws were here.

Don't you find it curious that there's not one town or county, even in heavily republican rural NJ, where you can get a carry permit? You can in most of CT, MA, CA, and NY. Doesn't that strike you as strange?

Maybe the poster didn't know or hasn't hung around this forum much. Before I joined I had no idea how oppressive the laws were here.

Don't you find it curious that there's not one town or county, even in heavily republican rural NJ, where you can get a carry permit? You can in most of CT, MA, CA, and NY. Doesn't that strike you as strange?

with 1500 permits issued in NJ, somebody's issuing permits to somebody.  I really wish somebody could get access to the secret list so we would know who is getting them.

It's been a bad few days for NJ gun owners.   Drake denied, 10 rounds passed both houses.  UT permits no longer work in PA.   I'm out in 3 years but I'm wondering where to go that's safe.  My children have a lot of years left in this country and I want to find a place where they can keep their rights for the next 70 years or so.   I'm not sure any place in the US is safe for that long.

As I've posted before, this -- today -- is as good as it's gonna get for gun owners in the U.S.A. As the invaders from the south are legalized the states will turn democrat one by one. Which was going to happen anyway because our culture has been shifting inexorably leftward, and it seems at a more rapid pace than ever. Just four years ago B. Hussein O. and the president-in-waiting, Hillary "What difference does it make" Clinton, "believed" -- if indeed they have beliefs -- that marriage was the union of one man and one woman. Two years later sodomy became an official plank in the democrat platform, as speakers feel over each other at the feelgood-fest known as the Democratic Presidential Convention to wax mellifluously on "marrying the person you love." And less than two years after that you lose your job for having donated to a pro-traditional marriage organization during the same period when The Annointed One and our inevitable choice in 2016 believed exactly the same thing

The past 25 years have seen a remarkable rejuvenation of the 2nd Amendment, even as our other rights have eroded to the point of virtual non-existence. But gun owners will be shocked as the pendulum swings the other way, as liberal legislatures chip away at their rights. It happened in NY, CO, CT. Wait until Sweeney is elected and signs every gun bill imaginable. 

with 1500 permits issued in NJ, somebody's issuing permits to somebody.  I really wish somebody could get access to the secret list so we would know who is getting them.

I was under the impression that almost all went to security and law enforcement, and the rest to Bruce Springsteen. 

I've been here a while, but I cannot believe that it's not up to the judges as to whom them approve NJ CCW for similar to upstate NY. I suppose they do not want to be the one who approved it should an incident with a CCW holder occur. Perhaps this data on which judges are approving NJ CCW permits is available through the freedom of information act.

Any non resident ccw pemits that are obtainable that pa will recognize?

I do believe that Texas is the only one but requires instate training. New Hampshire changed their renewal and permitting process to require a home state CCW permit before they would give you one of theirs.

Texas?  Florida?   Anywhere in the South?

I've been here a while, but I cannot believe that it's not up to the judges as to whom them approve NJ CCW for similar to upstate NY. I suppose they do not want to be the one who approved it should an incident with a CCW holder occur. Perhaps this data on which judges are approving NJ CCW permits is available through the freedom of information act.

You mean to say there isn't a single pro-2A judge/police chief combination in this entire state? Very hard to believe.

So, if I read the UT site correctly, UT will still honor PA (or any other state's) CCW but PA won't accept UT.  What a load of crap!!!   You're not playing by my rules so I'm taking my ball and going home so you can't play anymore...NYYAAAAHHHH!!!!!

Yes, sad but true. 

Fortunately, my company has offices in all 50 states and my son wants to attend Culinary School in Charleston, SC...he graduates from Warren County Tech in June 2017 and by August, I plan on re-establishing my SC residency (shouldn't have left in '93 anyway)

I've got a place just north of Myrtle Beach in NC but I'm not a resident...yet.

I've got a place just north of Myrtle Beach in NC but I'm not a resident...yet.

I have family in Murrells Inlet, and my parents just bought property along the waterway to build a vacation home for all of us to use.   Unfortunately I won't be paying the taxes on it, so I can't get a non-resident carry permit  ;)

So while I won't be moving down there anytime soon, it will give me plenty of chances to use that as a "home base" to explore the state to see if it's somewhere I'd want to live eventually.   I was thinking the Greenville area looks nice.   The main thing I don't like about south Carolina is that it's CC only.

I have family in Murrells Inlet, and my parents just bought property along the waterway to build a vacation home for all of us to use.   Unfortunately I won't be paying the taxes on it, so I can't get a non-resident carry permit   ;)

So while I won't be moving down there anytime soon, it will give me plenty of chances to use that as a "home base" to explore the state to see if it's somewhere I'd want to live eventually.   I was thinking the Greenville area looks nice.   The main thing I don't like about south Carolina is that it's CC only.

That is one of the reasons I am just over the border in NC - Brunswick County. And with a NC resident CCW permit I can carry in PA.