mipafox

Cat Saves Kid from Dog Attack

Great cat, but whats with the women not picking the kid up and getting him out of there! She just ran away and left the kid there.

People do dumb things. She probably told the kid not to move and went for a phone/gun/yell for the husband. It would probably make more sense with audio.

Great cat, but whats with the women not picking the kid up and getting him out of there! She just ran away and left the kid there.

It seemed the kid got up on his own, anyway. Maybe he told his mom, "I'm OK... I'll get up in a second." And all we know is that the mother went "out of frame." We don't know *how* far out of frame. She could have been right there waiting for him to get up.

But, very sadly, I agree... the dog has to go.  It appears to be a stray (although a well nourished one). I don't see a collar or tags, so... 

Dammit. I hate when dog owners don't know how to train or keep control of their dogs and let things like this happen. Now the dog has to be put down.

Read the description in the video. It explains why the woman left.

i wont go as far as to say "go cats", but that particular cat rocks..  i agree with remixers statement, the owner should be put down with the dog... poor excuse for an owner to let that dog out to mill around without being tied up or leashed. 

Cats are very territorial. They also, according to recent studies, believe that humans are big cats that are part of their clowder, so an attack on one is an attack on all. Or rather, can be. Cats are weird.

Although you don't see see this much, I remember fondly my cat Tabitha lofting herself onto my neighbor's German Shepherd when it came after us three kids. I was eight at the time and my sisters were around that kid's age.

The cat was twelve and she slept for about 2 days afterwards, but we all still talk about her literally riding that dog out of the yard.

I would bet the cat in the video is a female.

At the end of the video you see the boy walking to the front of the car and you see the cat looking back and moving with him. That's what Tabitha did. Once the dog left the area she came back with us and was like "okay lets get together and kick some ass".

It really was an amazing experience.

It was reported that the dog will be euthanized.

Unfortunate, but sadly necessary... :(

I admit I'm no cat lover, but this particular one deserves a medal.  The cats I've known (with one exception) have been quite snotty and aloof. Only one cat in my sister's family actually comes up to me and tries to cuddle. The other one does her best to avoid me.

OTOH, The dog owner should definitely face some kind of penalty (in addition to the dog's euthanizing). Failure to leash, failure to have tags (assuming they're required), assault (if provided for in criminal law) or at least civil liabilities in that regard. I'd also be interested in knowing how the owner treated the dog. Something must have been going on there. My neighbor has a full grown male chocolate lab. This lab is always collared and leashed. Still, I make it a point to get to know him well, even if I don't see him often. But when I do, he always comes up to me and lets me pet him. Great Dog!

Apparently most of you never had a cool cat. My cat who is now 21 used to walk thru the woods with myself and my dog. She went wherever we went.

If she was outside by herself she would come home when i whistled for her. I don't get the cat hating.

I wasn't really interested in this video because it sounded stupid, and I hate watching "viral videos" when everyone is all in a froth, and I don't really care about cats.  But this morning while getting dressed for work watching the Today show they had the family on and showed the video.

WOW.  Much cooler/wilder than I expected.  What a cat!

They showed the boy's leg; he had many quite serious wounds, two of which required 10 stitches.  Not life threatening, but serious enough that you know the dog wasn't trying to play.

Amazing video.

Apparently most of you never had a cool cat. My cat who is now 21 used to walk thru the woods with myself and my dog. She went wherever we went.

If she was outside by herself she would come home when i whistled for her. I don't get the cat hating.

You don't?  What's the ratio of cool cats to a-hole cats?  1 in a hundred?

Our prior cat would guard the wife when she was outside gardening. Every time she'd move the cat would move with her. When my son was born the cat would stay with the baby most nights and would jump on our bed shortly before he woke up to be fed. She was also a hell of a mouser and general rodent and bird catcher as well. Sadly she wanted to be an indoor/outdoor cat which wound up being her demise; she had 2 car accidents (which she survived amasingly; hip bones were broken) a fox got her one night. :(

When I was a wee blob of a child myself my mother had a male orange tabby; big sucker (15#) named Popoki. That cat couldn't catch his food dish if it wasn't in front of him. One day the 3 of us were sitting on a blanket on the beach when this large breed dog was casually walking by, with no owner I sight. Apparently said dog must have passed too close to us (mind you he didn't attack or anything. He was out for a stroll) when Popoki leaped from the blanket and appeared to teleport onto the back of the dog. Said dog was quite shocked at this turn of events and took off running. Mom (and the SP's... she called them when it happened) found the dog with the cat still firmly embedded in his back about 3 miles away. The cat was returned to us, the dog to his owner with a rather stern warning from the SP's that he wouldn't see the dog if it got loose ever again. Popoki enjoyed a rather nice fish dinner that night and proceeded to sleep for several days as well. That cat was always my protector, right until he died a few years later.

You don't?  What's the ratio of cool cats to a-hole cats?  1 in a hundred?

I would say it highly depends on the human(s) in the cat's life.

I currently have 4 cats... not by deliberate action mind you.

2 were adopted from a local cat shelter; one of which is fine, the other has mental "scars" that are indicative of some prior owner or caretaker commiting some form of abuse. she also appears to have a small case of cerebral palsy, which effects her back legs and probably doesn't help her confidence.

2 are strays that showed up on my property a year apart.

the strays are lively, rambunctious, with their own personalities, but are definitely snuggle cats; the one loves to squeeze between me and a pillow, lay upside down and have me rub his chest and belly for hours at a time.

it has taken me almost 5 years to undo the abuse scars for the one cat. she's coming around though and honestly the presence of the 2 strays I think has done wonders for her. she's gone from being a sad cowering ball of fur to an active somewhat playful and even loving cat. the fact she is also the biggest and strongest of the 4 is amazing. her head butts can push you off the bed! :)

HPIM2131.jpg

Harley and Lyla (shelter cats)

SAM_0667.jpg

Meow-Meow and Slurpee (the strays)

wait, Meow-Meow?   seriously?  :D

thats like me naming my dog "woof woof"..  lol.. 

(j/k)

I have a 6 year old. He named the poor guy. We should have named him Mr. Squeakers... he squeaks instead of meows! :)

I guess you also don't know what Popoki translates to then.