n4p226r

what mods have you done to your glock?

i hear a grip plug is a must to keep out debris and aid in magazine insertion but I'm not sure which one would be recommended.  

I was taught to never use a grip plug in a glock, they are not made with one for a reason. If your mag gets stuck and wont release it makes a natural spot to get your thumb in and pull it out. That was a few years ago. And of course that was for defensive use. Not sure if things changed since then or opinions differ. But im just passing along my 2 cents i was taught and why i wouldn't use one.

Taught by whom?

Regardless, that's poppycock.

Yes, you lose the ability to get your thumb into the cutout designed to be used if a mag gets stuck. But you are plugging a hole that can allow dirt/dust/mid/snow/sand into the trigger housing and installing a rudimentary magwell. Win-win!

In 10 years and 10s of thousands of rounds I have never ever had a mag get stuck and, if I did, I know other ways to get it out.

I actually use PreZine plastic magwells on all my defensive/duty Glocks. They are cheap, lightweight, low profile for a magwell, fit all Glock floor plates (except the Vickers ones), and work well as a reference point for my hand when I initially grip my pistol the holster.

I suspect that "orifice" in the bottom of the grip was to facilitate removal of a magazine at one time. If you recall Gen 1 & early Gen II pistols, many came with the non-fully metal lined (NFML) magazines, and they were NOT drop-free. Such is not the case anymore. Robar Guns was filling that hole with plastic and reducing the grip frame size then re-stippling it decades ago, so it must not be that essential.

I suspect that "orifice" in the bottom of the grip was to facilitate removal of a magazine at one time. If you recall Gen 1 & early Gen II pistols, many came with the non-fully metal lined (NFML) magazines, and they were NOT drop-free. Such is not the case anymore. Robar Guns was filling that hole with plastic and reducing the grip frame size then re-stippling it decades ago, so it must not be that essential.

Spot on about early mags. You needed to pull the mags out because they were not drop free.

True about Robar, Bowie did the same thing. But they installed side "cut-out"s to facilitate mag removal.

One thing a lot of folks are forgetting though is that in the full size and compact Glocks, there is still a "cut-out" in the front strap to use if you block the rear one with a plug.

But, again my training and experience have demonstrated to me that keeping the trigger housing debris free is a higher priority than worrying about a stuck mag - this conclusion was reached after examining how many times I have encountered issues related to these two different problems and speaking with others about what they have seen go wrong with their pistols.

I was talking to the Glock rep at RTSP today.  He indicated that grip plugs should not be used as the area can get clogged with debris.  I rather like mine however, so I am simply going to clean in that area rather than ditch the plugs. 

I was talking to the Glock rep at RTSP today. He indicated that grip plugs should not be used as the area can get clogged with debris. I rather like mine however, so I am simply going to clean in that area rather than ditch the plugs.

Most manufacturers are never going to suggest adding aftermarket parts

I'm sure you are right, though he didn't mention the slide covers that virtually everyone uses to personalize their Glocks.  He would have had a rough day if he worried about that.  He did seem to look at each one to see what folks had chosen but didn't comment on them.

The guy showed me where the carbon accumulates.  Previously I never removed the plug.  Now I'll just clean in there.  So while I am not taking his advice on dispensing with the plug, I did get something out of the conversation.  The guy also upgraded some springs on an older model I had.  Overall it was a nice event.

talon rubber style grip

25 cent trigger job

extended slide release

zev tech competition spring kit (with a wolf 4.5lb striker spring)

zev tech v4 race connector

gen 3 trigger bar (no bump)

smooth face trigger

definitely want to upgrade the sights but haven't been able to make up my mind...

Quick question is it unwise to mod a home defense gun?

what do you mean by "mod." I dont recall any cases where spring weight and polishing internals has gotten someone in deeper shit but id assume its a gray area. However if anyone has the ability to research these types of cases we could make an educated guess. in NJ i wouldnt chance anyhting. I keep my taurus 809 as my hd handgun because ive done nothing to it, however i intend to carry my 19 with all the crap i've done to it in any state that accepts my ccw.

talon rubber style grip

25 cent trigger job

extended slide release

zev tech competition spring kit (with a wolf 4.5lb striker spring)

zev tech v4 race connector

gen 3 trigger bar (no bump)

smooth face trigger

definitely want to upgrade the sights but haven't been able to make up my mind...

I'm not a believer of the Gen 3 trigger bar being better because of the bump. My gen 4 trigger bar is reeaall smooth. That bump keeps it centered over the striker safety plunger which removes just a slight amount of horizontal torque movement thus, removing some movement from the trigger pull. I suggest removing your barrel and watching the movement of your trigger bar as you pull the trigger. You will see it slide off to the side of the plunger. On mine, I polish the hell out of it and also use a sharpening stone to smooth the ramp on the backside of that depresser. My G17 trigger breaks great. No mush, no pre-travel, and extremely consistent. What I also do is heat the trigger spring ear on the trigger bar and bend it outward to almost 90°. I love my trigger

For my G4 Glocks:

OEM extended slide catch

OEM extended magazine release

OEM 3.5lb connector

IMHO anything more than this mechanically, except the $0.25 trigger job (which is simply polishing), is a bit on the overkill side. But hey, different strokes for different folks!

However I notice that the extended magazine release is not really necessary for the G4...makes only a slight difference.