n4p226r

what mods have you done to your glock?

My primary carry Glock is a 3rd gen G17 cut down to G19 grip length. Trijicon HD sights, polished FCG, and a Ghost connector. The hump in the grip has been shaved down a bit and it has been painstakingly stippled. Not a super aggressive stippling to prevent my shirt from catching on it but much easier to handle when wet. Oh and a strip of skate tape across the top of the slide.

For my G4 Glocks:

OEM extended slide catch

OEM extended magazine release

OEM 3.5lb connector

IMHO anything more than this mechanically, except the $0.25 trigger job (which is simply polishing), is a bit on the overkill side. But hey, different strokes for different folks!

However I notice that the extended magazine release is not really necessary for the G4...makes only a slight difference.

The OEM extended mag release sucks. Its a 1mm difference and the exact same shape. Get a Vickers mag release and you'll never look back. I had the OE extended release and it rounded off after about 1500-2000 rds and started dropping mags after every shot. Side by side with Vickers showed a much better shelf to catch the mags.

The OEM extended mag release sucks. Its a 1mm difference and the exact same shape. Get a Vickers mag release and you'll never look back. I had the OE extended release and it rounded off after about 1500-2000 rds and started dropping mags after every shot. Side by side with Vickers showed a much better shelf to catch the mags.

Weird. I just experienced a rental gun dropping the mag after every shot and posted a thread. Then came to read this. What part rounded off?

I currently own 6 Glocks with various levels of mods.  My test beds were a Gen2 G17, Gen2 G19, Gen3 G19 and Gen4 G23.  Other Glocks include a Gen3 G26 and Gen4 G21.

I've gone through a variety of spring / connector combo's and have gone back to stock.  The NY1 setup wasn't bad, but the pull was a little heavy for me.

Ultimately, all my Glocks have....

Night Sights (either Trijicon or Meprolight Green 3 Dot)

Smooth faced trigger (usually a Gen3/4 G17 trigger)

$.25 Trigger Job

Lots of mags....lots of ammo

I keep a few extra springs on hand (trigger return spring, recoil spring assemblies and slide stop).

Das ist alles.

so i dont have the gun yet, but i do have a list of mods for it so far.  here is the final iteration i'll have to work off of

glock 19 gen 3

frame sent to zev technologies for CCW stipple 360 degrees, 50% backstrap reduction, finger grooves off, single trigger guard undercut

gen 3 g17 smooth trigger

glockmeister grip plug

warren tactical sevigny carry 2 dot night sights

vickers tactical mag release

5 extra magazines for a total of 7

raven concealment holster and dual mag holster.  

one +0 g19 pearce mag extension (to see if it helps, if so, i'll order more.)

so i dont have the gun yet, but i do have a list of mods for it so far. here is the final iteration i'll have to work off of

glock 19 gen 3

frame sent to zev technologies for CCW stipple 360 degrees, 50% backstrap reduction, finger grooves off, single trigger guard undercut

gen 3 g17 smooth trigger

glockmeister grip plug

I don't know about ZEV, but usually when any alterations are made to the grip, it's by filling it with epoxy and grinding it down. This means no grip plug. However, it's usually ramped as if you had one anyway.

so i dont have the gun yet, but i do have a list of mods for it so far. here is the final iteration i'll have to work off of

glock 19 gen 3

gen 3 g17 smooth trigger

glockmeister grip plug

How do you know you really want all that work done if you haven't put the gun through its paces?

Get the gun and shoot the shit out of before you do anything.

glock 19 gen 3

gen 3 g17 smooth trigger

glockmeister grip plug

I have put gen 3 smooth triggers in both my gen4 Pistols (17 &23) and they work great!

Both are a pleasure to shoot.

How do you know you really want all that work done if you haven't put the gun through its paces?

Get the gun and shoot the shit out of before you do anything.

I have shot a glock 19 and 17 pretty regularly over the last few years. I know for a fact that I wanted the smooth face. I know I wanted night sights but wasn't sure which. I know I dislike the three dot sights on my sig, so I figure I'll try the two dot. I also bought both the extended oem release and the vickers so I can try both. The stock is hard for me to reach. The only mod I am unsure of is the grip work but due to a few hand surgeries I'm willing to take the chance for what I think will be an improvement. That's something I won't know until I try. I did handle a g17 zev that I liked so I'm somewhat familiar with it. I also confirmed they don't fill the backstrap so a grip plug wouldn't be an issue.

I have shot a glock 19 and 17 pretty regularly over the last few years. I know for a fact that I wanted the smooth face. I know I wanted night sights but wasn't sure which. I know I dislike the three dot sights on my sig, so I figure I'll try the two dot. I also bought both the extended oem release and the vickers so I can try both. The stock is hard for me to reach. The only mod I am unsure of is the grip work but due to a few hand surgeries I'm willing to take the chance for what I think will be an improvement. That's something I won't know until I try. I did handle a g17 zev that I liked so I'm somewhat familiar with it. I also confirmed they don't fill the backstrap so a grip plug wouldn't be an issue.

If they aren't filling the well, I'm not sure i would want them removing anything from the backstrap at all. It's not all that thick, and removing material will surely raise the chance of damage exponentially. Also, if you don't like the stippling, there's no going back.

As for the mag release, throw the oem extended release in the garbage and go with the Vickers. And I too agree, don't go changing anything until you've put a lot of time and ammo through THAT gun. I rushed into scraping my glock sights for some Meprolights and while I like them for casual shooting and low light sight acquisition, I don't like them one bit while shooting IDPA.

I will say though, the sights are the one thing that are absolutely worth changing as soon as you get the gun. In fact, I will now have my preferred sights ordered before I pick up any new Glock in the future, so that I can swap them out as soon as I bring it home. The plastic OEM sights are utter trash and good for nothing.

I will say though, the sights are the one thing that are absolutely worth changing as soon as you get the gun. In fact, I will now have my preferred sights ordered before I pick up any new Glock in the future, so that I can swap them out as soon as I bring it home. The plastic OEM sights are utter trash and good for nothing.

Could be worse...it could come with XS Big Dots :rofl:

If they aren't filling the well, I'm not sure i would want them removing anything from the backstrap at all. It's not all that thick, and removing material will surely raise the chance of damage exponentially. Also, if you don't like the stippling, there's no going back.

As for the mag release, throw the oem extended release in the garbage and go with the Vickers. And I too agree, don't go changing anything until you've put a lot of time and ammo through THAT gun. I rushed into scraping my glock sights for some Meprolights and while I like them for casual shooting and low light sight acquisition, I don't like them one bit while shooting IDPA.

Luckily if the stippling sucks, it's only $100 for a new frame from glock. Or I can sell this one and get another. I'm pretty confident this is going to work for me though. I'm not going in totally blind.

finally got the gun.  seemed like forever.  my fault for going the route i did.  

either way, i love it.  the two dot signts are great.  the grip stippling is awesome, and the vickers mag release is a huge difference. i also did the smooth g17 trigger but not sure how big of a difference that will make.  

No kidding...will have to get that if the mag release gets rounded off.

My glock is a g23 3rd gen, I have the night sights, 3.5 ghost trigger bar, and ghost trigger spring kit, but used the heavier 6lb return spring,and replaced the safety nipple with a titanium one, but put the stock spring back behind it bc the trigger was too light. I replaced the firing pin cups and spring with a vented cup and heavier spring(never know when you will have to fire under water. Lol) I also replaced the slide release and slide lock with the extended levers. I replaced the plastic recoil spring with a titanium one and added the recoil buffer. I installed new stainless pins while it was apart as well. And of course i had to get a grip on it. Lol. And hey did it all myself. This gun shoots amazing. I wasn't and huge fan when it was stick I hated the trigger and the muzzle was too light. Now it's pretty balanced like my mp40c lol. ...

Oh I also have the tactical arms .22 conversion kit as well as the lone wolf extended ported barrel and a set of 9mm mags. It's like 3 guns in one. And it's a blast. 8Posted Image

I just added the medium back-strap because trigger finger length feels a bit better. Apparently that makes it the same size as the G3 grip. I'll be testing it this week. If it works well, I'll keep it on.

- UPDATE -

I like the medium back-strap on my G19. I'll keep it on.

I do not like the  medium back-strap on my G20. Trigger finger length was better, but I noticed a bit more muzzle flip.

My Glocks only get the following:

Trigger - stock or an OEM Glock Connector at most - I don't do polishing or trigger jobs I just dry fire and clean/lube the heck out of it when new so it smoothes out naturally

OEM extended slide catch

NDZ performance extended (and laser machined not stamped steel junk) takedown lever for frame

BT Guide Rods recoil assembly (black) - none of that bright shiny allen screw crap, and Bill's units use stock springs for reliability (I have one on my G19 Gen4 and my G26 Gen4)

www.btguiderods.com

Vickers Tactical mag release (best one out there, I've tried a total of 3)

No backstraps or stipple work for me

Glock Doc custom sights (basically a Trijicon HD front with a Trijicon Bright and Tough rear, installed for $120, all the pluses of the HD's, but not as tall)

A plethora of spare Glock mags (I have 5 for each pistol)

I had a butt plug in my G26 (Glockmeister) and it just slips out since it is friction fit in there, so I left it out and didn't buy one for my 19 - I don't miss it