mb104

Springfield XDs VS Walther PPQ

I've narrowed my search for my next handgun to either the Springfield XDs (.45 cal) or the Walther PPQ (.40 cal). I've carried all types of handguns in all calibers but currently carry a Sig P239 (.40 cal). It's just too heavy and bulky for what I want. I'm not looking for other gun suggestions, but would appreciate any personal experiences you have had with either the Springfield and/or the Walther. Thanks.

If size is your concern, the XDs is probably better since it's smaller, but the two guns are rather hard to compare. A .45 sub compact to a .40 compact? Too much difference in size, capacity. The PPQ will do some things better than the XDs and vice versa. You need to decide what's most important to you and pick the gun that does it best.

As for personal experience, I own and shoot a Walther PPQ in 9mm. It's the only handgun I shoot and I recommend it to anyone who asks. Trigger is great. Ergos are great. Reliable. etc.

I own both in 9mm and there very different. The size difference is a major factor. The XDs is not comfortable for alot of lead down range for me since its grips are small. It also is only accurate at shorter distance due to shorter barrel length. Now the PPPQ is super comfortable and super accurate, and alot more fun to shoot on the range with. It is also carry-able. I personally wouldn't buy it in 40 but thats just me, I do not like the snap of 40 cal's.  I don't know your hand size so I think you got to see what fits best and most comfortable.

I know nothing about the PPQ but I have an XDs in 45. In my opinion it is VERY well balanced for shooting 45acp out of a tiny, light gun. The grip is ok, with my pinky hanging off on the 5 rd mag and the 7 round mag feels almost like a 1911.

A friend with a G30 shoots my XDs as well or better than his gun. I'm a lousy shot but I shoot the XDs as well as any pistol I own, and I really love it. It cycles everything I have fed it except for lead semi wad cutters.

5 rounds is a concern, but it's also a concern if you carry a snubby. BUT with the 5 rd mag it is extremely concealable. I'm a fan of the XDs.

I own both in 9mm and there very different. The size difference is a major factor. The XDs is not comfortable for alot of lead down range for me since its grips are small. It also is only accurate at shorter distance due to shorter barrel length. Now the PPPQ is super comfortable and super accurate, and alot more fun to shoot on the range with. It is also carry-able. I personally wouldn't buy it in 40 but thats just me, I do not like the snap of 40 cal's.  I don't know your hand size so I think you got to see what fits best and most comfortable.

I own both the XDs45 and PPQ M2 9mm and agree with ogfarmer.  The PPQ is my favorite and the most comfortable pistol I have ever used.  The XDs is much smaller and tough to shoot accurately at distance for me.  But I have since installed Pearce grip extensions which gives my pinky a spot to rest making handling the XDs much more enjoyable and accurate.  They are very different and intended for different purposes.  5rds vs 15rds is very significant.  

The XDs will conceal carry well but not the PPQ for me.  

Both pistols come with a nice variety of accessories as well.  Excellent choice either way in my opinion! 

I have not shot a .40 cal PPQ but I do own a 9mm M1 and it is an amazing pistol. Also have you considered a m&p in .45? I just got the compact model and with the Apex trigger system it is really sweet. I like the feel of both of the above mentioned pistols vs. the Springfield. Good luck!

I carry an xds. 45 just about every day (altho some t-shirts allow to carry my gen 4 Glock 21 (while wearing cargo shorts and a t shirt) also carry an xdm 40 compact as well

My post recall trigger was awful in the xds. Gritty and 8.5 lbs. With prp spring kit got it to 8. Adjusting grip safety spring got me down to 5.5lbs smooth.

Prior, I could barely hit paper

Yesterday was 1st time shooting post trigger work.

Proceeded to punch a bullseye with 1st 6 rounds. I was even able to red bullseye 2 out of 15 at 25 yards. Something I've never done with any gun.

I now trust it with my life and no longer worry about my ability to hit with it. Wish it had more rounds but with the extended mag in pocket I still have 13 rounds of 230g +p bonded hollows. Days i need more and can't carry my others i will pocket carry my cm9 with the xds strong side and not worry about it. Xds is a fine firearm once you get the trigger adjusted properly (if post recall issues)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I own a xds , it's my ccw when down south, but have dry fired the PPQ. The trigger on the PPQ is amazing.

The trigger on the XDS is rough.

In my opinion, they really aren't comparable because of their size.

As a range piece I would go PPQ as a CCW I would go xds purely based on size.

I own a xds , it's my ccw when down south, but have dry fired the PPQ. The trigger on the PPQ is amazing.

The trigger on the XDS is rough.

In my opinion, they really aren't comparable because of their size.

As a range piece I would go PPQ as a CCW I would go xds purely based on size.

That's easily fixable mine was 8.5 lbs and shitty. Now smooth 5.5 and second only to my 1911 0r maybe my 226 when in single action mode.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

That's easily fixable mine was 8.5 lbs and shitty. Now smooth 5.5 and second only to my 1911 0r maybe my 226 when in single action mode.

Pm me with what you did. I would love to know!

Pm me with what you did. I would love to know!

Here it is for everyone: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-s-discussion-room/246808-post-recall-trigger-reducing-pull-weight.html

I also installed the pro spring kit but not as much a factor as the safety spring adjustment. I also did .25 trigger job which smoothed out any grit.

Its PERFECT now!!!!

Here it is for everyone: http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xd-s-discussion-room/246808-post-recall-trigger-reducing-pull-weight.html

I also installed the pro spring kit but not as much a factor as the safety spring adjustment. I also did .25 trigger job which smoothed out any grit.

Its PERFECT now!!!!

I will give the video a look. The ergonomics of the pistol are great , and I want to love this gun, and right now the trigger kills it!

I will give the video a look. The ergonomics of the pistol are great , and I want to love this gun, and right now the trigger kills it!

If it wasn't for my recent trigger mods i would have traded the gun off. Instead it's now my favorite and my usual edc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Just buy a shield

I did.   After researching and actually using the XDs, the Walther PPQ, and the Shield, I settled on the shield.  They are all very good handguns, each with their own positive features.  I hadn't intended to even consider the shield, but I have a few compadres who have them so I decided to toss them into the mix.  When it was all said and done, the shield was the most comfortable for me to shoot and carry.  I know there are some die-hard XDs and Walther fans here, and I appreciate all of your input.