Sign in to follow this  
wooly bugger

First carry experience

i just got my first handgun ever, a Sig P938. It's such an elegant little gun. I'm surprised at how mechanically simple it is.

I have been home carrying with a DeSantis Superfly holster. It really looks like nothing more than a big wallet and is comfortable to carry. The stickiness of the holster keeps it securely in my pocket as I draw.

I'm still a little freaked out carrying with a round in the chamber and cocked. I wish I could decock it and fire from DA. People will call me a wuss, but for the time being, I will carry with an empty chamber.

I've been practicing with this laser training target, which is a lot of fun.

http://www.amazon.com/LaserLyte-TLB-1-Laser-Trainer-Target/dp/B004GFDTNA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400108417&sr=8-1&keywords=laserlyte

My Utah CCW should be arriving any day now. PA here I come! Oh, wait.... :nono:

While I certainly support your right to do so, going from first-handgun-to-practicing-the-draw-to-carry-experience is a LOT of ground to cover so quickly.    Don't rush, work on the fundamentals, and take enough time to be sure that safe gun handling gets hard-wired into your brain!

Sigs are sweet, though!

Have you fired it? It sounds like you haven't. You should go to the range and put two boxes of ball and one box of your carry ammo through it before you even think of carrying it, even in your house. And that is being stingy.

Congrats on the handgun. Carry well, mighty warrior. And, as a first time handgun owner, always remember that handguns are inherently more dangerous than longarms because they point around easily (without even noticing) and any hand on the handgun is always near the trigger. Handle the handgun administratively as little as possible and always with deliberation, especially with respect to muzzle discipline.

I hope you take that in the spirit intended, as a positive reminder. I would not feel the slightest bit insulted if somebody gave me that reminder today.

Thank you both for the valuable advice. It is well-received. I did the loaded carry thing for about an hour before realizing I should listen to my spidey sense and unloaded. Now I'm just doing unloaded carry, laser practice, and and taking it apart and putting it back together.

I took the NRA Basic Pistol course and will take the Urban Pistol course as soon as there is an opening. In the mean time, I plan to do a lot of shooting as soon as I can get to the range.

It will be a few months before I can actually carry on the outside. Once I get my Utah CCW, I'll apply for CT and will carry there when I'm there for work. If business takes me to TX and schedules mesh, I'll go for TX CHL but I'm not going to jump through hoops for that because I realize that between now and 2017, Kane can do a lot of mischief.

Ahhhh.....the first one........everyone remembers that one.

Congratulations on the P938. Thinking about getting one myself soon.

Not a fan of chamber carry for these single action Sig s.

I used to carry my p238 without a round in the chamber but i got a pocket holster and carry it cocked and safety on with a round in chamber now. Lets hope that NH ccw is valid in PA until it expires since i cant renew that one.

Should have went to a Texas CCW course when i used to go there a lot a few years ago.

i just got my first handgun ever, a Sig P938. It's such an elegant little gun. I'm surprised at how mechanically simple it is.

I have been home carrying with a DeSantis Superfly holster. It really looks like nothing more than a big wallet and is comfortable to carry. The stickiness of the holster keeps it securely in my pocket as I draw.

I'm still a little freaked out carrying with a round in the chamber and cocked. I wish I could decock it and fire from DA. People will call me a wuss, but for the time being, I will carry with an empty chamber.

I've been practicing with this laser training target, which is a lot of fun.

http://www.amazon.com/LaserLyte-TLB-1-Laser-Trainer-Target/dp/B004GFDTNA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400108417&sr=8-1&keywords=laserlyte

My Utah CCW should be arriving any day now. PA here I come! Oh, wait.... :nono:

Congrats on the purchase and on your determination.  Now do yourself a favor and find a BUG Match run by IDPA so you can experience a little adrenaline jolt while working on-the-clock!  THEN you'll really see how much practice you truly need in order to move and shoot defensively.  And, do yourself a favor and practice both weak-hand and strong-hand ONLY after the draw, because in REAL LIFE sometimes the Bad Guys get the first shot or get to stab/cut you on your strong side...........

Dave

Crickets....................................................

Blah, let him walk into a crack house. He'll get it! ;) especially if there is a pitbull guarding it like my last one. :) (j/k)

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

A Sig P938 is my main carry gun when I carry a semi auto. Even if the safety came off safe, something that has never happened to me in over 45 years, the trigger pull is heavier than that of a Glock.

I am surprised,to read that someone who cannot carry outside their home and is not comfortable carrying the Sig the way it is meant to be carried, would buy this gun? When I lived in NJ I only owned duty sized guns since concealing them was not an issue. When I moved to Florida I was totally unfamiliar with carry guns or carry holsters. Just surprised to see that my gun is enjoyed up there too. It is a fine gun and nothing bad will happen if you carry with one in the chamber. It is not a 1911 with a light trigger. It has a pivoting 8 lb. pull, which is more than striker fired guns. A gun with a manual safety requires you to purposely move it's safety while most guns low you to shoot with doing anything else first. Read up on all the safeties on that gun. I know it looks scary with the hammer back but the firing pin cannot even be touched without first pulling the trigger. All but one of my 12 carry/HD guns have manual safeties.

I have several guns to carry now that I can every day in FL.

G21 Gen 4 when tshirt permits, Cm9, XDm .40 compact and my usual carry Xds .45

I always carry one in the chamber, but to be honest, I would be nervous carrying my 1911 cocked and locked and just can't bring myself to carry like that.

I am a bitch I know.

Well, I am very uncomfortable carrying a Glock since all the safeties are on the one thing I want to be safe from. :) For a 1911 to fire the grip and manual safety would both have to fail. Then the safety notch that stops the trigger from moving too far, would have to fail and somehow the firing pin would have to either become unblocked or moved into line with the hammer, depending on model. That is a heck of a lot of things to have to fail at the same time.

I once attended a training class many moons ago, where the instructor took a beat up old 1911 and flung it against a cement wall several times and then showed us that the hammer was still cocked and all the safeties still worked. It is just a mental thing with most people because they can see the hammer cocked. I feel much safer carrying cocked and locked than any striker fired pistol without a hammer. My concern is never that the gun will go off by itself but more that I have seen so many guys grab their falling gun and putting their finger on the trigger when they do so. Around here we often have guys firing guns that are falling from somewhere on them. :)

Well, I am very uncomfortable carrying a Glock since all the safeties are on the one thing I want to be safe from. :) For a 1911 to fire the grip and manual safety would both have to fail. Then the safety notch that stops the trigger from moving too far, would have to fail and somehow the firing pin would have to either become unblocked or moved into line with the hammer, depending on model. That is a heck of a lot of things to have to fail at the same time.

I once attended a training class many moons ago, where the instructor took a beat up old 1911 and flung it against a cement wall several times and then showed us that the hammer was still cocked and all the safeties still worked. It is just a mental thing with most people because they can see the hammer cocked. I feel much safer carrying cocked and locked than any striker fired pistol without a hammer. My concern is never that the gun will go off by itself but more that I have seen so many guys grab their falling gun and putting their finger on the trigger when they do so. Around here we often have guys firing guns that are falling from somewhere on them. :)

I dropped a loaded Glock 23 on the ground.. it went bouncing but no discharge.... I carry a Glock with one in the chamber (as do numerous LEO) every single day of my life.. and the gun doesnt just go off.. as long as you dont pull the trigger you are GTG.. 

My concern is never that the gun will go off by itself but more that I have seen so many guys grab their falling gun and putting their finger on the trigger when they do so. Around here we often have guys firing guns that are falling from somewhere on them. :)

There's a simple rule to follow when it comes to this... DON'T TRY AND CATCH A FALLING GUN!

Something they drilled into us at my NRA Basics class years ago.

My issue is 80% mental and 30% physical :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Thanks again for the continued advice and comments, everyone. Smokin .50, I will try the BUG match, although I'd first like to try standard IDPA with my next purchase (which will be a Walther PPQ.)

Old Dog, I think cocked and locked is a psychological issue, and comfort comes with familiarity. I'm still new to this, so taking it one step at a time.

I will still carry concealed in CT and in other states when I go on vacation or business. For PA, I've ordered a Galco paddle holster for OC.

While I'm being a paranoid newby, what are the chances of a slam fire? I have been doing a lot of dry firing, and my active imagination envisions the firing pin breaking and a fragment setting off the primer. Is this a crazy scenario?

I had my Springfield XD(striker fired) fall out of the crappy holster they include with the gun while running a drill. It hit the asphalt on the rear corner of the slide, which I would imagine to be the worst case scenario, and it didn't go off. Lesson learned; buy a good holster.

I have a Walther PPQ and love it! You won't be disappointed. :)