Ok gang, something a little different. Everyone is always posting/asking what's the best gun. This one or this one. I'd like to see this thread inform people what to stay away from. So how about an informative twist? Please use criteria below.

What is a bad YOUR BAD gun?

You name it and tell us why. This is NOT about bad pricing or what you heard someone else say unless it actually happened to you. Then you can use other evidence to back your story....I want actual hands on experience. IE, gun has blown up, gun falls apart. Gun is notorious for blah blah... This includes handguns, rifles and shotguns. Not cannons, ray guns, ammo, pea shooters or bow and arrows. ;)

Again, please serious and stay on point. Carry on! :)

Sent from my iPhone using TT 2 Pro

As much as I kinda dig the looks of them, I will not buy another Taurus revolver.

I picked one up at an NRA dinner.  Got it to the range and put 30 rounds of mild reloads and 20 rounds of sorta hot reloads thru it.  It stopped working.  I actually got a small cut because the bullet's jacked sheared off and flew out of the cylinder gap.  That was at about round 47.  It stopped working completely after 3 more rounds.

It was out of time.  To Taurus's credit, they fixed it quickly.  However I sold it. 

No more for me.

C

An unmodified CZ-52.

Let's see here...I paid about $250 for the gun.

The firing pin broke.  Twice.   Replaced it with a Harrington competition firing pin and milled out the heel of the extractor for the return spring.  It won't ever break again.

The firing pin interrupter is worn, turning the decocker into a 2nd trigger.  I simply removed that one.

The slide release lever mount was worn meaning that even a perfect magazine wouldn't lock the slide back on the last round.  I replaced it with different release lever I found on the internet.

The floor plates of the original magazines have a tendency to blow out and the spring flies one way, the rounds fly all over.

After replacing the firing pin and the stop, the gun is reliable and fun to shoot.  In OE, it was a POS.

Kahr CM9.

Felt cheap.  Major issues when I 1st purchased it and it had to be sent back to the factory.  Not comfortable to shoot at all either, it was just so light and small and the grip felt like sandpaper.  I had it in 9mm, couldnt even imagine it in .40.  Sold that sucker for a Shield.

I guess for the right person its a good gun, I mean its small and very slim, but it just isnt a shooter at all, and the QC from Kahr on their cheaper line of guns just isnt there.  I was one of MANY with problems from the factory.  To Kahrs credit though, they fixed everything and it worked flawlessly when it was sent back to me...

I just loved the Shield so much that the Kahr had to go...

So far the only one I have had a love hate relationship after really wanting one was the Keltec KSG. The shells would eject and I shot enough that is actually left a nice cut/burn on my chocolate skin. I would buy a another though a few people said to get one of the newer ones the one I had was a first run.

Sig p250 compact 9mm. A gun you either loved or hated.

The least expensive of the Sig line at the time,with a long DA trigger that even after 500 rounds refused to "smooth out". temperamental with some ammo,mags,and caliber change kits were rare and expensive.

I exchanged it for a S&W .357 and never looked back.

The only gun that I ever had a bad experience with was a S&W Model 25-5 (.45 Colt) w/4" barrel. I sold a pristine Ruger Flat-top Blackhawk in .44 Magnum to buy the 25-5, which just added insult to injury.

Mine was a very early 25-5 - among the first production run. Seems that Smith made the barrel to post-war dimensions and the cylinder to pre-war dimensions. You had a cylinder with throats that measured .456" - .458" hitting a barrel that measured .452". The bullets - which were also .452" - would start to yaw before they ever made it to the forcing cone. My first targets consisted of about a 12" pattern with 50% keyholes.

I jumped through all sorts of hoops to get that thing to shoot. It went back to Smith and, while they had not yet corrected the production gaffe, they replaced the cylinder with one with smaller throats (actually measured a whole batch to find one). While the keyholing stopped, accuracy was still sub-par due the differential in bullet diameter to throat diameter. There was a swaged lead bullet manufacturer at the time named Taurus Bullets (later changed to Alberts Bullets) from here in NJ. They started making larger diameter .45 caliber bullets (.454" - .456") to remedy the problem. This created another problem - there were no .45 Colt reloading dies being manufactured at the time, with an expander plug that would accommodate the larger bullets. Made some phone calls and got someone at RCBS to actually measure expander plugs used in their .458 Winchester dies, and find one that measured on the low side of the spec. The owner of Taurus bullets was nice enough to recut my forcing cone to 11degrees - which was found to help also. Are you beginning to understand what a PITA this all was?

The problem resolved itself when the gun was stolen in an apartment burglary - the only gun of several, that I wasn't sad to see go.

So just a word to the wise if you run across a 25-5 and it calls to you - measure the cylinder throats before you plunk down your cash. Anecdotally, it has been said that if the barrel on the 25-5 is not pinned (changed from pinned to unpinned in 1982), the chamber throats are OK - I'd still confirm by actual measurement.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Good info folks keep it coming. For the folks going outside the subject or not being informative, please suppress, please do not comment. I'd like to see no banter, just facts that we can all benefit from. Maybe make this thread a stickie, but not if it's full of a lot of flotsam and jetsom....

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

I would not buy any 22lr rimfire pistol or rifle that could be damaged by dry firing. I also would not buy any of those potmetal based 22lr clones.

Refer post 1.... Make, model, cal and YOUR experience.

Folks, I'm trying to compile a 'bad gun' list to help perspective buyers in their decisions and/or make info together that will help anyone. Generic statements do not help this thread.

Thanks for your understanding. Please stay on point.

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

Zip 22. I like its unique design and the fact it uses 10/22 magazines.

It took a little getting used to, after handeling it I enjoy the ergonomics.

I have tried it with multiple types of ammo - even the mini mags reccomended by the factory. I can't get it to shoot reliably with anything. Remington Thunderbolts are the most reliable in this gun. I tried some of the improvements suggested by other owners with no success.

I'm still going to tinker with it but it has become less of a firearm and more of a project.

I would not buy another.

Ive never owned a hand gun I don't like as of yet. But a few long guns I own I've got some issues with. GSG-522-SD, looks cool, feels great ergonomically based off the MP5 platform. But when you hold it it reminds me of an airsoft gun or a kids toy. Its also doesn't like certain ammunition. Guess you get what you pay for.
Mossberg 935 bought it so I had an auto loader in 3.5". Every brand of shell I've tried in 3.5" sooner or later jams. Still own it but I've since replaced it with a Browning Maxis, best auto loading shotgun I've ever owned IMO.

My Springfield XD9 had a huge double-feed problem that appeared somewhere after 300-500 rounds, and it would happen 1-3 times per magazine, with some ammo more susceptible compared to others. I finally got around to contacting customer service at around the 1400 round count and they were an absolute pleasure to deal with. They replaced the extractor, and though I've only put 50 rounds through it since getting it back, so far so good. I guess a plus from the whole experience is that I now have a ton of experience clearing double feeds.

Sig Mosquito. It was one of my first pistols and I really wanted to love it. It was a cool desert camo print. Alas, the gun was a pos that I couldnt get to run reliably, even with mini mags. It was also a pita to clean bc of the fixed barrel.

I kept it through the break in period but when it still didnt get better I sold it to buy a 22/45.

I also had two .22 rifles that I hated. I bought the original gsg5 and while it felt good and was reliable, it was a project to take apart and clean. Sold it for an issc mk22 scar clone which was an even bigger pos and couldnt get through a mag without some sort of issue. I eventually tinkered with it enough to get it to sort of work, but sold it when I bought a 15-22 (which has gone bang every time).

Taurus 605

nice fit/finish, surprisingly good trigger.

Sh*t the bed in about 50 rounds..cylinder wouldn't advance.

went back to taurus, off to gunbroker after that.

I guess I was one if those "misses" in Taurus's legendary "hit or miss" reputation.

never do that again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S&W 3906

I didn't buy it, my dad inherited it.

I wanted to love it. Stainless steel, full size 9mm, single stack, made by S&W, etc. I can't shoot it for the life of me. The trigger is that DA/SA nonsense that I hate, and is two stage at that. In single stage it is a long pull of slack until you get to the spongy release. Horrible.

Plus it has a grip angle like an M9.

One of the first rifles that I purchased after receiving my FID card was a Remington 597.  First few trips to the range were fine.  Rifle shot well, and accuracy, even from a new shooter wasn't too bad.  But then one day I'm shooting, and the bolt would not lock back after the final round.  Took it home, stripped it down and pieces started falling off.  It was very cheaply made, like in gun-shop class for newbs.  I fixed it up as best as I could so it would work reliably and traded it for a Savage.

This was in 2007, were the Remlin QC problems occurring at this time?

I think I have "the worlds worst semi auto handgun". It is a Sedco SP22. Sedco was only around about 4 months before they closed up shop. The gun was a freebie when I joined Crossroads Gun Club in Pennsauken  back in the 90's. It has trouble feeding, ejecting, and going bang when you pull the trigger. And you need really good safety glasses cause there is a lot of blow back when it does go bang. It is held together with rubber bands and epoxy glue. Why do I keep it?It was free.

Beretta 21A .22 semi handgun.  Bought it in the early 90's.  It was one of the very first super compact guns designed as a backup carry gun.   I bought it because I worked in some bad neighborhoods at the time and was naive about NJ gun laws.

I still shoot it once in a while but it is ridiculously picky about ammunition.  It will jamb on anything except high velocity ammo and jambs on some brands of that.  It was okay a couple of years ago but the ammo of choice is very hard to find now.   Fortunately, there are lots of other options in sub-compact guns today.

ATI Fatboy in 45 ACP. Bought new 1 year ago, burned a permit. Malfunction from the 2nd shot. Safety forced up and jammed. Sent back and received email 2 weeks later, Cannot be repaired. Lost a permit and got my money refunded. Big POS!!