dobie

Life in So Carolina

Had a call from an old friend last night who retired to So Carolina some years ago. We got  to talking about guns and he was telling me about his latest AR15 acquisition - with a 30 round

magazine. He has some acreage so it's no big deal to go out back to his own outdoor range.

Here's the thing that really got me. We were talking about conceal/carry and of course everyone down there carries - everyone!  He even said that the county sheriff does a tv commercial where

he encourages people to come on down and get your conceal/carry permit.

How different we are. In SC they look at responsible gun owners who carry as a way to create a safer environment for everyone.

In NJ anyone who even owns a gun is a potential psychopathic mass murderer. Very sad

I moved here about a month ago and I've gotta say...It's great down here! I'm living in Columbia, the more populated blue area and even here everyone loves their guns. A bunch of ranges, PSA and FN are right around the corner. Nikki Haley is very pro gun. I don't see this state changing anytime soon.

Two things I don't like. ....8 hour ccw course and there aren't any 3 gun events.

Aside from guns, Everyone here is nice, climate is pretty warm and real estate is cheap. I'm never going back to NJ

I moved here about a month ago and I've gotta say...It's great down here! I'm living in Columbia, the more populated blue area and even here everyone loves their guns. A bunch of ranges, PSA and FN are right around the corner. Nikki Haley is very pro gun. I don't see this state changing anytime soon.

Two things I don't like. ....8 hour ccw course and there aren't any 3 gun events.

Aside from guns, Everyone here is nice, climate is pretty warm and real estate is cheap. I'm never going back to NJ

My father in law lived in SC for a while. Went down to visit and it wasn't my cup of tea really. I think we were in a real redneck area. Everybody lived in double wides and very standoffish towards Yankees

Where could I go where there wouldn't be that kind of culture shock?

My father in law lived in SC for a while. Went down to visit and it wasn't my cup of tea really. I think we were in a real redneck area. Everybody lived in double wides and very standoffish towards Yankees

The Charleston area is pretty "Yankee Tolerant"...it's a touristy area so their kinda used to it. One suggestion I would make is to work on losing (or hiding) that Joisey accent before you move there. I grew up on the Eastern Shore of MD with a father from AL, Stepdad from WV and Stepmom from VA so I didn't have any problems when I lived there before...I even learned to speak fluent Gullah while I was there.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

Don't take this the wrong way but....if you act like a typical Yankee you'll be treated like a typical Yankee.  I have spent sometime down here(Columbia and Greenville as well as sometime in Alabama) before I moved and I have yet to have any issues with people I meet, especially in Columbia.  I don't showboat that I'm from New Jersey and I don't have the NYC attitude; but if the question comes up about where I'm from I'll admit it.  The usual comment I get is "That accent ain't from 'round here."  But rarely do they figure it's from NJ, aside from how fast I speak.  I guess I'm also pretty accepted because of my lifted pick-up with pro-2A and conservative bumper stickers....I also registered my truck in SC as quick as possible....  :p

Around Columbia it is a little more diverse if you will in the fact that its a college city(USC) so you won't hear the "Yankee" term used as often.  Its also booming with subdivisions and transplants.  However, I was up in Spartanburg for a USPSA event a few weeks ago no one had an issue with me; everyone was helpful and courteous.  I got a lot of sympathy when the found out what NJ folks have to go through to get a firearm.  But aside from that, everyone was laid back and accepting.  As long as you're not judgemental and open minded everyone is the same.  I actually think there is more negativity coming from Northerners toward Southerners.  Everyone I spoke with in NJ prior to moving brought up the whole back woods and uneducated stereotype for SC.  To be honest, most of the people I work with are a hell of a lot more intelligent than the people I worked with up north.

I can't say much about Charleston, but I'd take magna's word for it.  Charlotte, NC is also a melting pot when it comes to transplants.  I've got a friend who lives in that area and I can't say he has any issues.  Cigarsnscotch lives in that area too, he might chime in.

Don't take this the wrong way but....if you act like a typical Yankee you'll be treated like a typical Yankee.  I have spent sometime down here(Columbia and Greenville as well as sometime in Alabama) before I moved and I have yet to have any issues with people I meet, especially in Columbia.  I don't showboat that I'm from New Jersey and I don't have the NYC attitude; but if the question comes up about where I'm from I'll admit it.  The usual comment I get is "That accent ain't from 'round here."  But rarely do they figure it's from NJ, aside from how fast I speak.  I guess I'm also pretty accepted because of my lifted pick-up with pro-2A and conservative bumper stickers....I also registered my truck in SC as quick as possible....  :p

Fortunately for me, 3 of my grandparents were from Georgia and one from Greensboro, NC. My mother was born in Jacksonville FL and raised in southern Ga. And, even though I've lived in NJ since (almost) age 5, my family spoke "Southern," and so did I. When I'm in the South, it's very easy to fall back into it, naturally (i.e not make it sound "obviously exaggerated" - a deadly mistake). And I would register the vehicle (and get new DL) immediately for "2A" registration purposes, more than anything else. :D Get the bureaucracy going ASAP.

I can't say much about Charleston, but I'd take magna's word for it.  Charlotte, NC is also a melting pot when it comes to transplants.  I've got a friend who lives in that area and I can't say he has any issues.  Cigarsnscotch lives in that area too, he might chime in.

I visited Charleston, once. For the most part, I had no trouble there. Very diverse people. Only one run-in with a waitress upon my arrival (perhaps I hadn't yet dialed in my "drawl" :) ) but, otherwise, no issues at all. And very good restaurants with big named chefs (Louis Osteen, Frank Lee from SNOB, etc. etc.).

I totally get why some areas are less "tolerant" of the "Northen" invasion...with all of the NY NJ refugees moving down brings more traffic and the inevitable need for increased funding(taxes) for new roads, sewers, water, gas, schools, hospitals, public safety, municipal services etc...much like what happened here in NJ with transplants, will happen in whatever the next "landing zone" is for movers..

My parents are (hopefully) building a vacation home along the ICW just north of Murrells Inlet.   That might be the stepping stone I need to get down there more often and possibly check out other areas to live.  My grandmother, aunt, and uncle also moved there (from Ohio) years ago and they seem to enjoy it.

So guys, before I get there make sure SC votes to allow open carry!    I don't mind concealed, but sometimes it's nice to have the option of just strapping on any old holster,

Moving to the south is a real culture shock. I live right outside boone nc now and it is very southern. The guys I work with are all from the south and didnt really like me the first week I was there. The second week was a lot better. Next week will be my 3rd week. They realize that I like the same things as them and generally have the same political and social views. So they are starting to accept the refugee yankee from the evil north east.

Go shooting with the southerners. When they see you can shoot they will be saying "Damn that yankee can shoot" After that you will still be a yankee but you will get some respect from them

Looking in Monck's Crossing about 40 min NW of Charleston.   Loads of retired Military and those stationed at Charleston.

No Yankee bias there.  Folks from all over the country like around any Military Base.

If you get back in the woods it may be different.

I've heard of similar problems in the south. Friend of my brother in law's says they don't like Yankees much, and Italians even less. I'm both.

My plan is to live within 10-15 miles of a college town, for two reasons. The first is I would like to do chemical research (my original job), at a college, after I'm done working as a writer and my wife is retired. Second is I believe people in the Chapel Hill area, or within driving distance of a research college in S.C. (my preference) are more open-minded. 

Comments?

I've heard of similar problems in the south. Friend of my brother in law's says they don't like Yankees much, and Italians even less. I'm both.

My plan is to live within 10-15 miles of a college town, for two reasons. The first is I would like to do chemical research (my original job), at a college, after I'm done working as a writer and my wife is retired. Second is I believe people in the Chapel Hill area, or within driving distance of a research college in S.C. (my preference) are more open-minded. 

Comments?

"Breaking Bad" ?

You'll have a lot of competition down there.   They are the new bootleggers. 

Comments?

That's rather strange, actually. Many there *are* Italians...  and Jews...  and all the rest.  In fact, Charleston has a rather sizable Jewish community and several prominent synagouges right on the main drag.  Southern drawl and everything!  Now, a few miles into the "sticks," and maybe that changes a little. 

It's all about "KLT" -  "Know, Like, (but most importantly) Trust."  Once they get to "know" you, and they feel respected, they may get to "like" you, but "trust" will take quite the  Huerculean effort. Not impossible, but extremely difficult. It will take time... perhaps even a lifetime. The more you go through life's strife with them and empathize, and help them get through it, the quicker you earn that trust. Once you get a hold of it, do all you can to keep it. God help you if you lose it.

Biggest advice, comes from Aretha Franklin -   R-E-S-P-E-C-T!!!  :)

I find the discussion of culture shock rather odd.  If you are considering moving, you should want a change in culture.  The whole pro vs. anti 2A issue is just one aspect of the cultural difference.  If all you want is CCW, but still want to live in a "blue" area, stay here and try to get the change you want.  Personally, I am looking forward to the day I can move to a free state whether I carry when I get there or not.

Just throwing this out there. When my dad moved to Arkansas the greeting he got most was something like " hey folks, how ya doin? What church you go to?......he had fun telling them he was a Pagan aka Athiest

I totally get why some areas are less "tolerant" of the "Northen" invasion...with all of the NY NJ refugees moving down brings more traffic and the inevitable need for increased funding(taxes) for new roads, sewers, water, gas, schools, hospitals, public safety, municipal services etc...much like what happened here in NJ with transplants, will happen in whatever the next "landing zone" is for movers..

You make it sound like it's a matter of the problems associated with an increasing population. It's not, it's you specifically (OK well not YOU you). They don't like us because we want to change everything to the way it was where we came from. Take PA for example. The Poconos used to be a nice, rural area. It's now a gang-infested shithole. It's completely destroyed. This is 100% because of transplants from NY (mostly) and NJ. My buddy owns a lot of land near the Delaware River in the Lehigh Valley. Lived there since he was a kid. People from Jersey moved in and wanted to change everything. Now it's like Morristown on the Amazon. You can't take a shit without a permit, people call the cops if you leave your lawnmower in your yard overnight, and all the high school rifle teams have been shut down. 100% because of Us. We are like locusts, or cockroaches. No decent people celebrate our arrival. Most store owners in Eastern PA don't even want business from Jersey tourists because they are afraid we will eventually become familiar with the area and move in.

They know this all too well in SC as well.

You make it sound like it's a matter of the problems associated with an increasing population. It's not, it's you specifically (OK well not YOU you). They don't like us because we want to change everything to the way it was where we came from. Take PA for example. The Poconos used to be a nice, rural area. It's now a gang-infested shithole. It's completely destroyed. This is 100% because of transplants from NY (mostly) and NJ. My buddy owns a lot of land near the Delaware River in the Lehigh Valley. Lived there since he was a kid. People from Jersey moved in and wanted to change everything. Now it's like Morristown on the Amazon. You can't take a shit without a permit, people call the cops if you leave your lawnmower in your yard overnight, and all the high school rifle teams have been shut down. 100% because of Us. We are like locusts, or cockroaches. No decent people celebrate our arrival. Most store owners in Eastern PA don't even want business from Jersey tourists because they are afraid we will eventually become familiar with the area and move in.

They know this all too well in SC as well.

True..but you cant tell me that native people dont get a case of the red ass when freeking Toll Bros and K Hovnanian come in and carpet bomb developments and taxes go up with all of the new services needed..You see there is no refuge anymore..people "flee" to FL,PA,NC,SC,TN etc..and shit it up..then the natives of that state move out to the next "hot" spot...until that gets discovered..With the immigration problems we have along with population growth there will be NO places to hide anymore..thats why I stay put and fight here..the grass may be greener on the other side..for now...until you get that nasty grub problem..and your nice green lawn goes brown and thin..

charleston and it's suburbs.  more liberal area, but its liberal like christie is a conservative

I find the discussion of culture shock rather odd.  If you are considering moving, you should want a change in culture.  The whole pro vs. anti 2A issue is just one aspect of the cultural difference.  If all you want is CCW, but still want to live in a "blue" area, stay here and try to get the change you want.  Personally, I am looking forward to the day I can move to a free state whether I carry when I get there or not.

Bingo.  I moved down here knowing full well that it wasn't going to be NJ, and I fully accept that.  Its going to take longer in line because people have conversations with the clerk.  Nothing is going to be open Sunday morning because everyone is at church(or says they are....).  To me, nothing is a culture shock, its all a welcome change.  If you are really that worried about moving here cause of the culture or the yankee label....please stay north of the Mason Dixon. 

Not sure if it's still this way but...when I left in 93 you couldn't buy alcohol between Midnight Saturday and 7:00 am on Monday. Took me a few weeks to learn to stock up on Saturday afternoon for Sunday @ Hartsville Lake instead of just picking it up on the way to the lake.

After living in the South/Semi-South for most of my life, Jersey was quite a shock.

Not sure if it's still this way but...when I left in 93 you couldn't buy alcohol between Midnight Saturday and 7:00 am on Monday. Took me a few weeks to learn to stock up on Saturday afternoon for Sunday @ Hartsville Lake instead of just picking it up on the way to the lake.

After living in the South/Semi-South for most of my life, Jersey was quite a shock.

Liquor sales on Sunday is banned.  Beer and wine depends on the county.  Richland isn't that way and I don't think Lexington is, but I do think Sumter is....