5th4x4

A question for the open-minded Glock appreciators out there

I've got the Glock (gen4/19).

I've got the revolver (S&W 5 round J-frame).

I've got the AR (which as a former Marine is essentially my 6th appendage).

And...

I've got another P2P.

So here's the deal....

I love the Glock. It is so sweet that it now commands as much attention at the range that my AR does when I go to the range (BLASPHEMY - for a Marine rifleman, but true!).

The AR and the Glock are perfect as far as I'm concerned. They are both as basic and reliable and easy to use/fire/break-down as I could ever want. 

So what should I do with this other P2P???????

I don't need a canon (nor do I really want a canon), and I'm not really looking to start a Glock collection. 

I've monitored the ammo situation (availability) and 40 seems to be plentiful. So that's my initial thought. 

However...

As someone who appreciates the simplicity/reliability of a Glock, and who is not really a "handgun guy" type, what suggestions would you guys offer? 

Obviously every gun preference is subjective, so I expect that recommendations may be based on personal favorites. But if you could approach this question from the perspective of someone who is Glock friendly (for the reasons mentioned) and in keeping with ammo availability, I would appreciate whatever input I could get. 

(and just to to clear, I am NOT looking to go smaller than 9mm)

I would appreciate any thoughtful input that I could get. Thanks!

Of all my handguns, two that always go to the range are the Ruger Mark II and the Colt Gold Cup National Match. Just the way it is.

1911 it is. The fit, feel, firepower of a 45ACP will always be a winner. Enough said.

Although I will get a 1911 again someday, I had a real eye-opener after I put the PRP trigger in my XD.

The question in my mind would be what do I want to do with the gun. My next is likely going to be a .357 mag revolver for IDPA use.

I also could use a .22 semi-auto.

You forgot to mention what your intended use will be for this handgun; knowing that certainly helps you get better recommendations.  Having said that, it sounds like you want another Glock and therefore this is the correct answer:

Glock 35 and a 9mm conversion barrel.

Then apply for more permits and get-

a full size .357 (S&W or Ruger)

a S&W 625 JM; &

a 22lr semi (MK, 22/45, SR22, 1911-22 or Browning Buckmark).

Then more permits for-

a Ruger Blackhawk convertible 9mm/.357;

a Glock 26; &

another 1911;

Then more permits, etc...

Here are my opinions. Either some type of 1911, a 686 or gp100 or the most bang for your buck is this. Get a glock 20. Then get a 40 conversion barrel an then you can also buy a 21 slide assembly. One permit, 3 calibers, 10mm,.40 and .45

I own a few Glocks and I really like them. Might I suggest a Smith and Wesson M&P series pistol. The Shield I own made a believer out of me.I also own a Sig Pistol I love however My next purchase is a Smith & Wesson 686 Performance center.

If you're looking to stay on the lower $$ end, check out the Tri-Star/Canik line. I love the feel of the T-120. All steel, low bore axis, SA/DA, frame mounted safety, uses CZ 75 mags(readily available), Cerakote from the factory, around $400.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

Okay so I'm in line with evetybody else ( 1911, 686 or gp100) but figured I'd add in a Glock 22/ 23/ 35.

It's all about what you want. If you like the Glock that much, then why change what already works for you?

This is really a personal choice, so I suggest you go to a well stocked gun store and check out what is there.  Handle lots of choices.  Try out some rentals if you can.

I own Glocks but that doesn't mean you can't also enjoy something else too.

I hated Glocks until i shot a friend's 21 gen 4. Bought one and now my next gun is a 23 gen4 with a 9mm conversion barrel. Polish internals and switch put the connector to a hand polished oem - connector.

Have a scher in my 21 and she went full auto on me other day. Almost shit myself.

Those new gen 4s are sweet as hell!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Since it surprisingly hasn't been said yet and you said 40 sounds good, how about a Sig 226 or 229 classic 22 with a 40 Cal X change kit? All steel, hammer fired and around $800 for 2 calibers. That's my next purchase in all likelihood. The 686 idea is also a winner. They are great revolvers.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Since you like Glocks, and you want .40 cal then I would say go with the G35 unless you want something to conceal.  I would go with the G35 over the G22 for its longer sight radius.

check out the fn fns. it is a similar design, striker fired can get it with no manual safety if you like that. and it works. It is an awesome pistol i have it in 9mm and its great. They also make a .40 version. the recoil is almost nothing on this pistol. It is very accurate, ive never had a malfunction or jam in around 1000 rounds now, i really like mine and would recommend it. I used to love my glock before getting this and now i haven't taken the glock with me to the range the last 3 trips. For me it is much more comfortable in my hand and i shoot it much better. I would at least take a look at one. The only downside i see is the mags are expensive around $45 each. But it comes with 3.

I too have a tremendous appreciation for my g19. When deciding for a second similar handgun i chose the beretta nano. I wanted something as close to function as the glock but with a smaller grip as both the wife and I have smaller hands. It certainly could be used for ccw if one were to travel to free america, but still has the 9mm power. Smaller and snag free but very capable and surprisingly easy to shoot. Definatly worth a look!

Turns out that you are not required to use your left over permit.

I'll give you the advice I give everyone who asks this question: If you don't know what you want to the degree that you ask people on the internet what you should be spending your money on, the correct answer is almost always ammo, training, and practice. When you know what you want, then buy it.

Here are my opinions. Either some type of 1911, a 686 or gp100... or the most bang for your buck is this.Get a glock 20. Then get a 40 conversion barrel an then you can also buy a 21 slide assembly. One permit, 3 calibers, 10mm,.40 and .45

^^^^This... 10mm ftw

What about a full M&P 40 with a 9mm conversion barrel? My storm lake conversion has been 100% reliable.

Also, the APEX trigger kit for the M&P is amazing!

A lot of people have been saying 1911, and the Apex FSS trigger makes the trigger comparable to a a 1911.

Now that I've moved to FL, a paradise of pistol purchasing power, (that was sweet, right? :-] ) I realized I can't buy all of the guns I want because of , oh, you know, money.

For a moving and celebratory present, I saved a bit and was looking at things a bit below $1000.  I decided I would choose between the Sig P226 MK25 and my 1911 of choice, which happened to become a Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded Stainless.  I loved the Para Black Ops but that was a lot more money and reviews were hit-or-miss big time... I REALLY want a TRP but I can't afford it ... and I realized I would probably regret purchasing something OTHER than the TRP... so I went with a smarter buy for me and the Sig.  I really wanted a full-size, metal, 9mm combat pistol after years and years of Glock.  (my family is all Glock basically, I have had my own G23 w/ 40-9 bbl for practice for years.. the Glock is so good is boring.)

Or so I thought.  I love the Sig, absolutely love it.  Everything and more it has been described as.  YET, now I realize how perfect my G23 fits in my hand, how perfect it points, how easy it is to draw and hold etc.  I really have a greater appreciation for my Glock now than I did two weeks past.

I agree, a 1911 is a definite candidate because it's so classic.  I would not hesitate if I were you.  But everyone should have a full-size 9mm combat pistol so I say go for a SIG baby ;)