5th4x4

A question for the open-minded Glock appreciators out there

I'm seriously appreciating all of these responses and suggestions. Thank you guys!

And just so you know, I'm not being an absentee thread starter. I just wanted to accumulate plenty of suggestions before commenting.

And now.... well the Rangers game approaches, so I'm further detained from responding.

But I did want to thank everyone for contributing though, so THANKS!!!

Best advice I could give you is to go rent some different guns or go to a range with a buddy and shoot theirs. Think of them as shoes everyone has their favorite pair, they all cover your feet but do things differently and fit everyone differently go try some on!

Best advice I could give you is to go rent some different guns or go to a range with a buddy and shoot theirs. Think of them as shoes everyone has their favorite pair, they all cover your feet but do things differently and fit everyone differently go try some on!

This

I love my Glock 19, I disliked my Glock 22 (which I sold), and I absolutely despise shooting the Glock 21 (.45) Different strokes for different folks. Go try some out and see what you like. :)

Stay away from Charter Arms if you want a revolver. POS. Go for a Ruger GP100 or S&W 686.

I'm a fan of autoloading polymer frame handguns, but with bigger calibers I prefer metal frames. A well made 1911 is difficult to argue with. Sig Sauer makes some nice ones.

9mm? Beretta M9a1.

Turns out that you are not required to use your left over permit.

I'll give you the advice I give everyone who asks this question: If you don't know what you want to the degree that you ask people on the internet what you should be spending your money on, the correct answer is almost always ammo, training, and practice. When you know what you want, then buy it.

+1 Could not have been said better!   A lot of people get permits, 3,4,5 then extent them. Then they feel obligated to use them. Dont get me wrong its nice to get A new gun or guns, But impulse buys, are usually regretted,   But hey if youve got the cash laying to spend then by all means enjoy.

+1 Could not have been said better!   A lot of people get permits, 3,4,5 then extent them. Then they feel obligated to use them. Dont get me wrong its nice to get A new gun or guns, But impulse buys, are usually regretted,   But hey if youve got the cash laying to spend then by all means enjoy.

And I couldn't agree less. (so I'll respectfully -1 that)

The entire nature of this thread is about as far from an impulse buy as one can get.

And the idea of asking for recommendations within a gun-based community hardly indicates a need to buy more ammo, training, and practice instead.

Seriously? This is a gun forum. What better place to acquire people's experience with an array of firearms that I've never fired before?

I enjoyed all of the input that was put forth by the people who took their time to do so. Obviously some of it does not match my own personal preferences, so I will respectfully decline to pursue those further. But since I already own a trio of firearms that I already enjoy shooting, it's good to get a cross-section of what others enjoy shooting, and then match those to my own preferences. After all, when one is curious about something, the best thing to do is gather more information. And I've been provided with some interesting options that I will look into further. 

The bottom-line is that I wanted to hear from others who have had experience with certain types of handguns AND who have Glock sensibilities. In other words, shooters who value performance over plain looks. Substance over style. 

And that's why I titled the email as I did. I wanted to hear from those who look at firearms with performance and practical use as being at the core of their recommendations. 

I truly appreciate the input here, and I've already been doing some homework on some of the suggestions that interested me the most. 

This has been quite helpful. Thanks again.

Didnt mean to come across in any bad way at all. Sorry if it was taken that way. I have bought 2 new Handguns in the past 2 months. Meant to buy the 1st was working on it for A while. Then I happened along A revolver on GB that I just couldnt pass up.

I couldnt add much to the Glock question as I have only shot A couple at the range.  I quess I should have also mentioned like another poster said, the Sig P Series line,

Did not mean to offend in any way.   

Nah. No offense taken. I just didn't feel that lending support for the post that you quoted was something that was worthy of repeating. At least not in this thread. To be truthful, I found it dismissive, judgmental, and rather pompous. 

Aside from that, I thought it was awesome ; ) 

Oh oh can I get insulted now?

I know enough people with guns they never use when they could have spent the money on being better shooters instead of being a collector.

Personally I will never understand the "what should I buy next type of question.

As this being a firearms forum, that does include shooting them and doing so well, not just collecting. It's not like I suggested taking the money and buying narwhal horns or talking stamp collecting.

Personally I will never understand the "what should I buy next type of question.

Ok, then we agree to disagree. I personally found it helpful, so I am grateful that others did't share your opinion.

And actually I had intended to ignore your opinion until the last poster quoted it. 

You expressed your opinion, and I expressed mine.... and the world continues to spin on it's axis. Lets consider that a success.

Wait, I want to hear more about the narwhal horns.... You have a line on these?

Aren't those those big goat type rams in the mountains of Jabib?

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

Just wanted to throw this out there... I believe someone else mentioned it but, for refreshing sake, a .22lr pistol is not a bad idea at all. There are many different hi-quality full size models of other pistols like .22lr 1911s, S&W M&P 22, SIG, etc. In fact SIG 1911 22s are on sale for $275 hard to beat especially when you factor in .05/rd shooting. I have wanted me a Walther PPK/S 22 for some time now, been keeping my eye out. Then you have all the traditional Rugers and similar target 22s ( not holding my interest but very popular) ... I was debating the purchase of my recent SIG MK25 and was also considering a G27 for CCW/EDC ( Now that im in FL I hope to carry every day and will need a dedicated Carry gun) @ ~$500 + a SIG 1911 22 @ $275 ... basically the exact same as the MK25 sale price. Despite this being perhaps the smarter/more practical path, I really wanted a full size combat pistol. But I still need me a .22.

Just do whatever makes you feel the best, always the best choice

Don't you have an active thread in which you required that others stay on topic?

Ouch! Yup! My apologies. :)

Ouch! Yup! My apologies. :)

No need for apologies. I don't care at all when threads go awry and people have fun. Sometimes threads run their course and sandtrap into inanity. Sometimes they deviate for comical relief. And sometimes they pick back up where they left off and return naturally to the topic. 

The thread that I referenced though was a bit heavy-handed with post deletion (in my opinion). And that's the only reason why I pointed out the disconnect here. 

But no. I wasn't wishing for or fishing for an apology. Nor was I pulling an internet version of "stay off my lawn!". This thread is not holy scripture, so I don't care if people want to spray paint all over it with graffiti. I'm just grateful for the input that I've received here, so all is cool. 

You could also buy Advantage Arms 22lr conversion kits for you Glocks. They make them for the the full size, compact, and subcompact frames in Gen 4 and 3. Just in case you felt the need for a 22lr pistol. No permit needed for the 22lr conversion kits.

No need for apologies. I don't care at all when threads go awry and people have fun. Sometimes threads run their course and sandtrap into inanity. Sometimes they deviate for comical relief. And sometimes they pick back up where they left off and return naturally to the topic.

The thread that I referenced though was a bit heavy-handed with post deletion (in my opinion). And that's the only reason why I pointed out the disconnect here.

But no. I wasn't wishing for or fishing for an apology. Nor was I pulling an internet version of "stay off my lawn!". This thread is not holy scripture, so I don't care if people want to spray paint all over it with graffiti. I'm just grateful for the input that I've received here, so all is cool.

Sometimes you'll find me interject with humor to break up the start of heated posts. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

As for the other thread, you've been here long enough to see one person turn a perfectly good thread into hell. I don't want to see turmoil especially when we have enough politics going on. Nor did I want it end up in the Litterbox or whatever it's called now. Just want a clean thread that with everyone's help, I can give back a nice list. I'm aiming at starting a db of which I'd be happy to upload when it grows so people can reference it without digging through crud.

I see no reason in any post where the OP asks for some compliance to make the endeavor work and I did say that right up front. But I degress. Back on topic and still wondering what that horn thing is... (I will google it)....:)

Glocks are pretty much all I shoot. I shoot a 34 in production and soon I will start Limited or L-10 with a 35. I have other pistols a few 1911''s  and some others but I always go back to the Glock.  I shoot it better so that's what I use.

You don't mention or at least I didn't see what is the intended purpose for this gun? I think that if you want a 40sw go with the 35. You just need to decide what Gen. I have Gen 3 and 4 and like them both the same, but I think the Gen4 35 is tighter and a little more accurate. I have a 17 also but much prefer the longer slide models.

Were you the kind of guy that liked to fiddle with cars in high school? If so, get a 1911 as a "hobby" gun. You can spend the next 3 decades tinkering with parts and upgrades. Just when you think you have it the way you like it, the next great thing will come out.

Were you the kind of guy that liked to fiddle with cars in high school? If so, get a 1911 as a "hobby" gun. You can spend the next 3 decades tinkering with parts and upgrades. Just when you think you have it the way you like it, the next great thing will come out.

INTERESTING!!!!!

Yes, that's totally me (high school and well beyond).

So ok, '1911' seems to be a generic term for many manufactures. Therefore if you could possibly provide some greater detail regarding your own experience, I may dove-tail off of that and go my own way with it. 

Care to share??

sell your glock 19.. get the 40 S&W model that you prefer.. and get the 9mm conversion parts for that... this will save you money, and still get you the versatility of two rounds VS one... 

Yes, that is so true. And that is the biggest influence that I've taken from this thread at this point.

So yeah... I'm most definitely doing research regarding conversion cross-breeding of calibers.   

And since a few have already inquired, I'll now state (since it was an overdue bit of info that I didn't already mention and which I didn't mean to omit) is that the intended use of this next gun purchase was for "variety" reasons. I just want another kick-ass handgun to play with... and to be able to bring down a bad-guy (in other words... not just a fun range gun).

As a rifle (/distance) guyI never expected to enjoy firing handguns, but my Glock 19 has expanded my world and made me hungry in a new way.

So anyway...

My considerations relate mostly to availability/cost of ammo. Therefore I don't need anything specific (caliber-wise), I just want to be able to actually shoot it without endless searching and/or and endless budget for ammo.

(if that helps)

I have a g19 too but I've been thinking about a 1911 or a walther. If you go for comfort I think the m&ps have some of the most comfortable standard gripsSent from my LG G2 using tapatalk

Definitely take a look at the Walther PPQ. I'm currently in the market for a new pistol, also. Rented a Glock G19 Gen4 and a PPQ at RTSP today to give them a go. I'm currently trying to get into LE, so I feel I should own at least one Glock as most departments use them. I was literally all over the Q target with the G19. I couldn't really home in with it. After 50 rounds I switched to the PPQ. The contents of the first mag didn't make a mark larger than the top of a soda can. I was amazed at how comfortable and easy to aim it was. The trigger was awesome with a very consistent take up and extremely crisp break.

Enough of my rambling. In short: Give the Walther PPQ a go.

By the way, I'll be purchasing both the PPQ and G19. Just because :)

My last handgun purchase was a FNH FNX .45 ACP. I do not consider it a cannon as the recoil is mild with this gun. 15 +1 rounds of .45 goodness and lots of fun at the range. I know that lots of people like Glocks because they are idiot proof but I take that as an insult to my intelligence and skill, rather than a good thing. :)

My last handgun purchase was a FNH FNX .45 ACP. I do not consider it a cannon as the recoil is mild with this gun. 15 +1 rounds of .45 goodness and lots of fun at the range. I know that lots of people like Glocks because they are idiot proof but I take that as an insult to my intelligence and skill, rather than a good thing. :)

I'm trying to determine if you are being insulting, being boastful, or both.... but I'll look into that firearm regardless. Thanks for the heads-up.