Sign in to follow this  
emulzhn

forgive me ignorance... would this shotty b legal?

is it worth the xtra?

thanks

Without a doubt.

The Catamount is basically a chinese-knockoff of the Saiga12 as far as I know it. There is not much more that has to be said. I believe they are imported by Century. 

Plus it doesn't accept Saiga mags? Pretty lame. So you have to buy your own Catamount mags, and the market for Catamount Fury's is not large. 

Until NJ gets on top of the loophole a skeleton stock is not a pistol grip. That's legal. I'd still spend the extra on a saiga 12 as well.

I disagree.. completely.. 

NJ does not define thumbhole stock.. so therefore it is nonexistent in NJ law.. they do however define pistol grip.. and that is by NJ definition essentially a pistol grip.. take notice that the law does not state a pistol grip stops being a pistol grip if it is attached to the stock.. there is simply no mention of stock at all.. 

"Pistol grip" means a well defined handle, similar to that found on a handgun, that protrudes

conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, and which permits the firearm to be held and fired

with one hand.

Exactly, the loophole is that they don't define it. They will sooner or later but until then its legal! :)

if they dont define it.. then it does not exist.. for it to be a loophole they would have to say something like 

"thumbhole stock - is any stock in which the stock is one complete piece attached to the rear of the rifle"

that would create a loop hole because it would take that obvious pistol grip and turn it into a thumbhole stock by being one piece... since that is not the case then the piece protruding off the gun is judged solely on if it meets the criteria of a pistol grip...

ask yourself.. you are in front of a jury.. the prosecutor holds of that gun, which he has already demonized.. and then begins to read the definition of pistol grip.. showing that the thing he is holding meets all that criteria... whats your defense? there isnt one.. because it is a pistol grip as pistol grip is clearly defined in NJ law..

"Pistol grip"

means a well defined handle check,

similar to that found on a handgun, check

that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, check

and which permits the firearm to be held and fired with one hand. check

it is.. as defined by NJ law.. a pistol grip.. 

thanks all for the valued opinion.  As per my LGS, I believe this remains to be legal.  It is obviously a 2nd looker and thus my query.  I did consider at first as it just looks "Bad Ass", however will I research more as well as looking into the Saiga.  there is certainly more than being a "bad ass"....

thanks all for the valued opinion.  As per my LGS, I believe this remains to be legal.  It is obviously a 2nd looker and thus my query.  I did consider at first as it just looks "Bad Ass", however will I research more as well as looking into the Saiga.  there is certainly more than being a "bad ass"....

ask him what part of the law makes it not a pistol grip... you have an FFL in this thread telling you its NOT legal... so just being an FFL is moot.. what matters is what the law literally says... 

Just was reiterating what Vlad had posted in the sticky. Its not defined. The definition of a pistol grip does not include it.

I think I'll crawl back to my AK variant corner now thanks guys ....

I will go slower.. 

in the eyes of NJ law it is not a thumbhole stock.. because a thumbhole stock does not exist.. 

because thumbhole stock does not exist it can not be one in the eyes of the law...

that leaves you with it being a pistol grip OR not a pistol grip....

since it meets the criteria of being a pistol grip it is by my best estimation a pistol grip.. 

if they dont define it.. then it does not exist.. for it to be a loophole they would have to say something like 

"thumbhole stock - is any stock in which the stock is one complete piece attached to the rear of the rifle"

that would create a loop hole because it would take that obvious pistol grip and turn it into a thumbhole stock by being one piece... since that is not the case then the piece protruding off the gun is judged solely on if it meets the criteria of a pistol grip...

ask yourself.. you are in front of a jury.. the prosecutor holds of that gun, which he has already demonized.. and then begins to read the definition of pistol grip.. showing that the thing he is holding meets all that criteria... whats your defense? there isnt one.. because it is a pistol grip as pistol grip is clearly defined in NJ law..

"Pistol grip"

means a well defined handle check, - that's debateable since it's incorporated into an entire stock, "well defined" is less clear

similar to that found on a handgun, check - Very rare to see a skelton stock on a handgun

that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, check - NO, that hand grip is clearly not "beneath" the action of the weapon, it is behind the action of the weapon. The hand grip also is not "protruding conspicuously" since it part of the skeleton stock.

and which permits the firearm to be held and fired with one hand. check - Yes

it is.. as defined by NJ law.. a pistol grip.. 

I'm not saying the NJSP or the AG's office will tell anyone it's legal, since they have their own agenda that isn't necessarly based interpreting our laws objectively, as we have seen time and time again with other firearms.

I'm not saying the NJSP or the AG's office will tell anyone it's legal, since they have their own agenda that isn't necessarly based interpreting our laws objectively, as we have seen time and time again with other firearms.

the issue is the law does not state that the grip needs to be separate from anything.. it does not state how it can or can not attach to the gun.. for it to be legal it would need to state that if it is connected to the stock it stops being a pistol grip.... remember we are viewing this as gun enthusiasts not law makers... the word similar is extremely vague.. most would argue intentionally vague.. 

the word beneath implies something is below something else.. it does not need to be directly below it to be beneath.. if you want to split hairs it is not really behind the action either.. technically of course.. 

the biggest issue is you are resting your freedom on the fact that it is attached to the stock.. "it is not because of this, which is ultimately it being attached to the stock" but the law does not address that.. a pistol grip can be part of a stock by the way it is worded... 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• olight.jpg

Use Promo Code "NJGF10" for 10% Off Regular Items

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Can someone explain what the timing limits are for the quals?  I know it’s 50 rounds broken down at various distances, but what is the timing requirement in total or per distance?
    • I will take 3x titegroup and all small pistol and small rifle primers.  
    • Gas crisis SOLVED! Biden’s new ‘gas czar’!   https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MoPw1i4SKN0  
    • Please read this entire post, there is a lot of information, please read read all of it before making a decision. I am selling ALL of my reloading equipment, everything set up for 9mm, 45 ACP, 223, and 308. I will not ship Large or Hazmat items, pick up local in the Manalapan area. I am willing to drive 10 miles in any direction. For large orders I would consider driving further. I can ship small, non-Hazmat items on your dime. Keep in mind, bullets are small but very heavy, shipping them will be expensive   My pricing methodology is simple, all prices are based on retail prices as of 6/29/2022: All hardware, whether New or Used, is 10% below amazon prices. Powder is full retail price per powder valley prices for un-opened containers. 10% below retail for remaining amount of opened containers Primers are all 10% below Powder Valley prices because I threw out all the original 1,000 count outer boxes and have the 100 count cards in ziplock bags Bullets are full retail price per powder valley and Berry’s prices for un-opened boxes. 10% below retail for loose bullets All prices are rounded to the nearest dollar There is always room to negotiate price as long as the offers are reasonable. But all negotiations must be completed prior to delivery, not during the delivery (I had a bad experience with this).   First “I’ll take it” in the thread, not via PM, gets the sale. If we are negotiating via PM and someone says “I’ll take it” in the thread during negotiations, the “I’ll take it” gets the sale.   If you want all of it, we can work out a package deal, and you will get all my brass for free, some of which is already primed. But keep in mind, it will be around $3K   Most items can be purchased separately but some will need to be combined for obvious reasons. Here is the extensive list. Photos will be provided upon request, there are too many to put into the post.   I accept Cash or Paypal as gift   Press - as a set - $643.49 Total    Hornady LnL AP press (Includes all retail components and manual, NO shell plates or dies)     - $507    Inline Fabrications roller lever (painted)                                                                                                 - $50    Inline Fabrications dual bin output tray                                                                                                  - $36    Inline Fabrications skylight                                                                                                                       - $27    Inline Fabrications shell plate lighting                                                                                                    - $25    3D printed case feeder                                                                                                                              - FREE    3D printed attachment to empty powder drop                                                                                     - FREE    Wood stand                                                                                                                                               - FREE    MTM Primer Flipper (Clear Smoke)                                                                                                      - FREE    Hornady LnL Shell Plates – Sold individually #1                                                                                  - $36 #8                                                                                  - $36 #16                                                                                - $36 #25                                                                                - $36   Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension 2-Die Set – Sold individually .223 (2 LnL Bushings Installed - $12)                             - $60 .308 (2 LnL Bushings Installed - $12)                             - $60   Hornady Custom Grade New Dimension 3-Die Set – Sold individually 9 mm (3 LnL Bushings Installed - $18)                            - $68 .45 ACP (3 LnL Bushings Installed - $18)                        - $68   Case Prep – Sold individually Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Rotary Tumbler with 7-Liter Capacity                                                                                               - $135 Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ 110V Case Tumbler Kit Reduced more than 10% due to loose powder cable in the tumbler         - $50 Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Trim and Prep                                                                                                                             - $171 Lyman 7832323 Reloading 223 Case Length/Headspace Gauge                                                                                                             - $19 Lyman Reloading 308 Win Case Length/Headspace Gauge                                                                                                                      - $19 Lyman Reloading 45 A.C.P. Pistol Max Cartridge Gauge                                                                                                                            - $15 Lyman Reloading 40 S and W Pistol Max Cartridge Gauge                                                                                                                        - $15 Lyman Multi-Caliber Large Rifle Ammo Checker                                                                                                                                          - $42   Priming – as a set - $54 Total    Lee auto primer                                                                                                                  - $31    Lee shell holders                                                                                                                - $23   Bullet feeder 9mm – as a set - $85 Total    Hornady LnL Bullet feeder die (1 LnL Bushings Installed - $6)                                 - $48    Hornady Lock-N-Load Bullet Tube set                                                                          - $37   45 ACP – as a set - $87 Total    Hornady LnL Bullet feeder die (1 LnL Bushings Installed - $6)                                 - $48    Hornady Lock-N-Load Bullet Tube set                                                                          - $39   Misc - Sold individually Hornady Powder cop                                                                                                          - $40 Lyman, Brass Smith Powder Trickler (New)                                                                    - $27 Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-EZ Impact Bullet Puller                                                       - $12 RCBS Lock-out Die                                                                                                                - $50 Lee universal decapping die with 2 spare pins                                                                - $20   Powder – Sold Individually H335 (8 lbs) New             1 un-opened container                                                         - $233 H335 (8 lbs) Open            6.56 lbs remaining                                                                 - $172 Titegroup (1 lbs) New     3 un-opened containers                                                       - $26 Each - SPF Titegroup (1 lbs) Open    0.77 lbs remaining                                                                 - $18 800x (1lbs) Open              0.73 lbs remaining                                                                 - $17   Primers - Sold in lots of 1,000, or ALL of each specific size CCI #450 Small Rifle Magnum   - 2,438 Available                                          - $72 per 1,000 - SPF CCI #350 Large Pistol Magnum - 1,000 Available                                          - $68 CCI #550 Small Pistol Magnum - 2,000 Available                                          - $77 per 1,000 - SPF CCI #250 Large Rifle Magnum   - 563    Available                                          - $43 CCI #300 Large Pistol                  - 2,413 Available                                          - $63 per 1,000   Bullets – Sold by caliber (all available per caliber must be bought together) Hornady Interlock 150 gr SP .308 (.308/7.62) – 500 Unopened (5 boxes) 21 loose – 521 in total    - $149 Hornady Match 68 gr HPBT .224 (.223/5.56) – 53 loose                                                                           - $11 Hornady 180 gr TMJ RNFP .401 (.40 S&W) – 547 loose                                                                             - $103 Berry’s 115 gr Plated RN .355 (9mm) – 734 loose                                                                                      - $90 Berry’s 230 gr Plated RN .451 (.45 ACP) – 403 loose                                                                                  - $77