Fallen Knight

Trying to Decide between Beretta M9 or Glock 17

Hi All,

I'm new to the world of guns, and I don't know much. I've done some reading here and there, but aside from that, nada. In any case, I want to know, which is more accurate and reliable, in terms of lower maintenance, and less chances of jams etc. I know the Glock does not have a safety, and that it is largely plastic, whilst the M9 is a more metal. I know pricing is also roughly the same. I've also looked into the sig P220...This is a vast and overwhelming world, and I don't want to screw up and buy a gun that's flimsy or unreliable. I didn't like the Rugers too much...so not interested in those.

Oh, I forgot to mention, I want to get this for home defense AND shooting range.

Thank you for your time!

The Beretta has a large grip. I have big hands and short fingers, and the grip always felt large to me. The Glock 17 has all the romance and aesthetic appeal of a hammer, but it works every time. If you want a gun that is purely a utilitarian tool, the Glock is a good bet. If you want some looks to go with your function, the Beretta is a good bet. I went with the Glock 34 (9mm + longer slide).

As many will say, rent both or any gun you might want to buy before making the purchase.

Both guns are great, that being said, I own a glock 17 and not a beretta.

There's nothing flimsy or unreliable about the G17 or M9. You can't go wrong with either. You just need to decide what features you want. I have had both, shoot both well, and can feel okay with either. If I could only pick one I'd pick....the G19. You need to be satisfied with factory 10 rd mags or 17 rd mags pinned to 15. Get a G19 and you can buy all the factory 15 rd mags you want.

Take a beginner/intro shooting course at a local range and rent a bunch of guns before buying.  Some ranges have intro classes that also let you try out a bunch of rental guns at once so you can compare.  If you post where you're located we'll be able to give you recommendations on where to go for the courses.

And now you're probably going to see a ton of posts where everyone recommends you buy whatever they own/like/think is the best handgun in the world.  The truth is there are many great options out there that will all serve you equally well and are all very reliable, Glock, Sig, Beretta, S&W, Walther, HK, etc., etc. Try to find a class/instructor who will go through the various handguns with you and explain the pros/cons to each feature.  So you can decide if you want a manual safety, what caliber is right for you, what type of trigger, etc.

Wow! Thanks guys, that was quick, much appreciated! I'm located in Livingston, NJ. It's by the West Orange and Short Hills, off of 280, if you aren't sure. I'm trying to find a good reliable place where I could try shooting, and handling both of these guns, if not others, so to make a better decision.

Wow! Thanks guys, that was quick, much appreciated! I'm located in Livingston, NJ. It's by the West Orange and Short Hills, off of 280, if you aren't sure. I'm trying to find a good reliable place where I could try shooting, and handling both of these guns, if not others, so to make a better decision.

http://gunforhire.com/

Rent guns, take classes, and a range and staff second to NONE.

We're neighbors.  Also check out RTSP:  http://rtsponline.com/.  They have a large rental inventory and lots of classes.  I'd just go in and tell them you're new and looking for an intro class and to try out a bunch of various handguns to see which is right for you.  I'm sure they, and Gun For Hire, will be able to help you out. 

FWIW, you also have RTSP by you.

I won't give them my money ever again, however many seem happy there.

Try the GFH range. Super clean, friendly, and helpful with a ton of knowledge.

Glock, I like it but the trigger isn't the best for me. It makes me less accurate than I know I can be. It'll run forever.

Beretta, I'm not a huge fan but I shoot it well. Smoother due to the weight.

I don't think you will go wrong with either. They are both well regarded and if this is your first you will probably end up with the one you didn't buy at some point anyway.

C

Definitely take a class like GunforHire first steps. Not only will this class teach you the safety aspects, they will also critique your shooting explain what your doing incorrect and teach you the proper way.

since u are new to the handgun world it will come down to two specs: grip and looks :) and that's just fine! I don't mean anything bad by that. U learn as u go.

hold it, feel it, rent it >>> trust me, its worth to spend $50 to make sure u are buying the right one. Both pistols have a long history, both pistols are used by LEOs and military around the globe, both pistols have haters...

I have a Beretta 92 vertec and I truly enjoy the reliability of this gun. However, the trigger pull completely sucks. Glocks have a much nicer trigger but I hear there factory sights need to be switch out since they are made of plastic.

I've only owned firearms for less than a year but my first (and so far only) handgun was the G19, which is just the compact version of the G17. For me I got it because I have smaller hands and the grips were comfy enough, plus at the range its a little lighter and it always go bang no matter what I run through it. I've shot a few berettas and they're also great but for me it's a little heavier but the sights are certainly nicer. The lack of a safety doesn't bother me on the glocks, but if you feel that need you might want the 92. Just my. 02 from another pretty new gun owner.

Sent from my LG G2 using tapatalk

Why not buy the PX4 if you're interested in both. It's technically a combination of the two. 92 design with Glock like polymer frame and accessory rail. And it's cheaper than either one. Personally I'd recommend a CZ-75 or Hi Power variant as a first gun. Better to learn on a hammer fired weapon. 

Thank you, I'll look into that as well. How is the durability on the CZ75? I haven't heard of this company...which doesn't mean much, but even before, I knew of Smith&Wesson, Glock, and Beretta! Btw, what is a good place to buy any of these guns(Glock17, Beretta M9, or CZ-75) from? I'm guessing Gun for Hire is gonna be overpriced? Thank you for the input!

Thank you, I'll look into that as well. How is the durability on the CZ75? I haven't heard of this company...which doesn't mean much, but even before, I knew of Smith&Wesson, Glock, and Beretta! Btw, what is a good place to buy any of these guns(Glock17, Beretta M9, or CZ-75) from? I'm guessing Gun for Hire is gonna be overpriced? Thank you for the input!

The Beretta M9 is the US Military standard issue side arm. The Glock 17 or variant of(22,19,23) is issued/used by at least 65% of US LE agencies. I don't know of any LE agency or any part of the US military that issue/use any CZ pistol.

The 2 pistols you are inquiring about are both 100% reliable and durable. They are however two completely different manual of arms. The Beretta is a DA/SA hammer fired pistol with a manual safety and decocker. The Glock is a striker fired pistol with no manual safety. You can't go wrong with either. Both are easy to break down and clean, with the Glock having a slight advantage in this area. Holsters, parts, and accessories are plentiful for both, again with a slight advantage to Glock in this area too. Try to rent both and decide what pistol type you like better / fell more comfortable with.

FWIW, newer shooters usually always go with the Beretta M9/92. It seems most people are more comfortable with the manual safety in the beginning. They usually move to a striker fired/no safety platform(Glock) as they become more experienced and comfortable with guns.

FWIW, newer shooters usually always go with the Beretta M9/92. It seems most people are more comfortable with the manual safety in the beginning. They usually move to a striker fired/no safety platform(Glock) as they become more experienced and comfortable with guns.

Correct, Lots of people come to see other pistols and end up with a Beretta M9 or 92 (Italy). They are well made, Fit the hand nicely and have a safety/decocker. 

I went with the Beretta 96a1 (.40) for my first pistol. I have been shooting it for 6 months and like it a lot. As others have said the trigger can take some getting used to as well. I have long fingers so the grip was not an issue for me and i even threw on the Hogue(sp?) rubber finger grips which make it even wider.  I use the weapon for range and some USPSA-lite action shooting which it may be a little heavy for, but i like the way the sights settle. I have shot Glocks and like them for their functionality and ease of use and see one in the safe in the near future , but Beretta just felt more solid to me.

and i also like to feel sexy at the range.  :maninlove:

As many have said, both are good.  Both have their advantages, and disadvantages.

I think the best advice that's been given is to try them.  If your experience is anything like mine you'll know right away which gun fits your hand best.

As it turns out, for me, that gun is the PX4.  I flat out love that gun.  I also have a 92FS and an M&P pro 9.  The PX4 is the gun I most like to shoot.

That said, my next gun will be a G17 and I can't really say why. lol  It feels like a 2x4 in my hand and for me, points like shit.  But I still want one.  They are like the black cocktail dress of guns.  Only uglier.  

I have a Beretta 92 vertec and I truly enjoy the reliability of this gun. However, the trigger pull completely sucks. Glocks have a much nicer trigger but I hear there factory sights need to be switch out since they are made of plastic.

Glock has a better trigger than a Beretta? No way. I'd rather pull a Beretta in double action every time than pull a glock trigger.

First of all, I suggest an intro to handgun class. That way you'll know what gun feels like in your hand the way you're supposed to be holding and shooting it.

I think it also depends on how often you plan to shoot (or at the minimum, if you're willing to put in the dryfire practice). If you don't see yourself going more than maybe once/twice a month, I'd go with the glock. No safety to worry about and only one trigger pull to get acclimated with.

Another thing to decide is what's the worst case situation for you, a gun that doesn't shoot when it's supposed to, or gun that shoots when it isn't supposed to. I'm referring to the manual of arms, not reliability. Yeah, I know with proper training it shouldn't matter, blah, blah, blah. But if you're worried abou the former, Glock, latter Beretta.

And as far as trying out different guns, I suggest visiting RTSP. You only pay one gun rental fee and you can try as many guns as you want in the same caliber. GFH might be worth considering if you're willing to spring for a membership because of the free gun rentals that you get.

All IMHO. In the end it probably won't matter since once you start, you're probably going to end up with at least 5 different guns and will end up buying both anyways ;)

All IMHO. In the end it probably won't matter since once you start, you're probably going to end up with at least 5 different guns and will end up buying both anyways ;)

^^^^^^ This..  full stop..  like Lays potato chips, you can't just have one