gleninjersey

Where Do You Think North/South Jersey Begins

Have this discussion a few times a year with different people. They almost all have diff opinions on where the "Jersey Mason Dixon Line" is. What area or landmark defines once you have crossed that imaginery line?

For me, it would the line drawn between Trenton and the tip of Sandy Hook.

Raritan River (Driscoll Bridge)

Having lived on both sides of the Driscoll Bridge I have to say that is a very fair estimate.....however the boundary is rapidly moving southward with more population shift from North Jersey and NYC.

There is a central Jersey... Dont throw us away....

BUT if you wanna get rid of the Central and just break into north and south.... Just walk into a diner... If the menu says pork roll your in south jersey.

I thought scrapple meant you were is SJ?

i think its more like this, with the exception that Ocean belongs as part of South Jersey..

North-South-Central-Jersey-Map-CP-croppe

I think that map is right on the money, I work in south jersey and live in central. Guys I work with from Cape May area tell me I live in North Jersey though.

State is 167 miles tall.  The geek in me says that at 83.5 miles you draw the south/north delimitation.  That would be roughly the I195 line.

If you want thirds then that is roughly 55 miles so South would be a line passing roughly from Glassboro to Stafford through the Wharton state forest, Central would be between that and a line roughly between Felmington and Edison, and the North being the rest.

That should put this debate to rest :)

Don't see why it matters, up here in NW jersey we are more like Alabama than you guys down south

Hence the usefulness and accuracy the map I posted, which places you in the "vast wilderness of rednecks and retried hippies".

If you see Giants Shirts, you are in North Jersey.

If you see Eagles Shirts, you are in South Jersey.

If you see Jets shirts you have obviously slipped into a parallel dimension.

Have this discussion a few times a year with different people. They almost all have diff opinions on where the "Jersey Mason Dixon Line" is. What area or landmark defines once you have crossed that imaginery line?

I've asked this a lot. Everyone makes things up. If you are north of hackensack, you are safely north jersey. If you are south of Trenton, you are safely in south jersey. BNy that I mean most people you ahve a conversation with in this state will not debate that conclusion, even if they recognize a central new jersey.  I've been told Newark is centrla new jersey all the way to trenton is. 

My personal take is you divide the state roughly in thirds north to south. North is from the northern border to about where you get a line on the map if you draw a straight line through 78, and ends probably around the line you'd get drawing a line between ewing and freehold. 

Other fun interpretations I've heard are that if you are north of the raritan river, you are north jersey, and south of it you are south jersey. 

On DSD's map, I'd put union county in the north category. I agree that the county method breaks down with ocean. Probably the northern bit of both Ocean and Burlington should be in central.