al7601

Noobie wondering if glock 41 is a good decision

I'm new to shooting, pistols, and having a FID.  Having never shot a pistol of any caliber I'm reaching out for advice. I'm a male, 215lbs, 5'11".  Not sure if that's helpful but there it is.

Based on alot of research that I've read I'm very interested in a Glock 41 4th gen .45. 

Is this too much of a gun for me the first time?

Things I like are that it has a long slide, light recoil, good feel, and that its a .45. 

I suggest going to Woodland Park Range http://gunforhire.com/  and renting some different things and find what feels best.

Since you said you never shot a handgun.

I would start with 9mm since ammo is more affordable, and is a great starting point.

Agreed, ogfarmer is spot on.

Also, it never pays to be one of the first people to get a new model gun.

I am also intrigued by the G41, but I won't seriously think about getting one for at least a year or two. Let others figure out what's wrong and give the platform time to evolve and fix any issues.

What makes it a "competition gun"?

If it needs a hotter load to function doesn't that make it the antithesis of a competition gun?

If you are referring to its size, I regularly carry a G35 with no issues. If CCWing, the length of the slide isn't an issue, it's the size of the grip that causes a gun to print. The G35/34 has the same frame as the G17/22. The G41 is roughly the same - it uses a standard G21 frame making it a "large frame" Glock, and therefore slightly bigger than a G34/35/17/22 size frame - but not so big as to make a difference as far as CCW.

Renting guns can get expensive aywhere.

Going out to PA also involves paying for gas and maybe tolls.

OP, you might want to check these out

http://gunforhireshop.com/?product_cat=test-drive-series

There doesn't seem to be one at the moment that includes mainly full sized pistols, but as a new shooter, you can get a feel for how several different guns operate AND you'll be shooting under the supervision of an experienced instructor.

Of course the best (and cheapest) way to try out different guns is to shoot with someone you know.

Lastly, consider taking an NRA pistol class with a live fire component (readily available in lots of locations).

Again, you won't be shooting exactly the gun you're looking at, but you will get some trigger time and learn a whole lot (you'd be surprised how much you don't even know that you don't know).

And if you're not shy about it, you can pick the instructor's brain about GLOCKs, .45s, what makes a good first gun and maybe even where to shop.

If push comes to shove (expiring permits, for instance), get a GLOCK 19/17. You'll probably be very happy with it. And if for some reason you hate it, you can always sell it without losing too much $, if any. (about the same as a couple of rental sessions)

IMHO:  The rent is well spent money if you try something and decide not to buy it, so I agree with the suggestion to rent, but I don't have an axe to grind about where.  I am a member at RTSP and they have an extensive rental inventory.

Let me give you a brief rundown on the Glock model line and you can decide for yourself if the G41 still makes sense.  Glocks come in three basic frame sizes, 1) a full size frame that would be used as a duty pistol by an LEO, range shooting, etc. 2) compact, which is slightly smaller and is a very versatile size because it is a bit easier to conceal without giving up much, 3) sub-compact, which is very concealable but for most you can't keep your pinkie on the grip, so it is a bit harder to control.  (I don't recommend a sub-compact for a first pistol.)  These three basic frames are then fitted for various calibers giving you a large number of models that only vary by frame size and caliber.  Add to this some specialty guns that are used in competitions and you have the whole product line.  The specialty guns include compensated guns and a series with longer than normal barrels.  You would never use these on a day to day basis, but they are great for accuracy.   The G41 fits in this last category.  It is a Full size Glock with a longer slide and barrel in .45 caliber.

Now with that background let me suggest how to choose your first Glock:  Since we are in NJ, you won't be carrying.  You'll be going to the range and possibly using the gun for home defense.  You want either a Full Size or Compact frame.  Hold one of each in your hand to get a sense of what feels comfortable.  Rent if you can.  Now the next choice is caliber.  The most common calibers are 9mm, .40 cal and .45 cal.  9 mm is the cheapest to shoot.  .40 is more expensive and .45 most expensive of the three choices.  However, one of the nice things about Glocks is you can get conversion barrels that allow you to shoot different calibers.  However, not everything can be converted.  You can convert from a .40 model to a 9mm, but you can't convert from 9mm to .40.  Starting with a .45 caliber there are some conversions, but not to a nice inexpensive choice like 9mm.

As a result, I like to recommend getting a .40 caliber for a first Glock, and adding a 9mm conversion barrel.  This gives you a choice of an inexpensive round to shoot, and a more robust round for home defense.  This is pretty nice in a state where you have to go through the whole permit BS for each pistol.  If you like my thinking this gives you a choice of the G22 (Full Size) or G23 (Compact).  There are also the longer barrel competition models and G35 would be the .40 caliber choice if your heart is set on a competition length gun and 9mm conversion barrels do exist for it, but I would suggest a G22 or G23 as a first Glock.

That said, if you purchase any Glock the internals are pretty much the same, they are incredibly durable, and they can be easily traded or sold if you grow tired of them, so there are really no bad choices.  Good luck with your purchase.

What makes it a "competition gun"?

If it needs a hotter load to function doesn't that make it the antithesis of a competition gun?

If you are referring to its size, I regularly carry a G35 with no issues. If CCWing, the length of the slide isn't an issue, it's the size of the grip that causes a gun to print. The G35/34 has the same frame as the G17/22. The G41 is roughly the same - it uses a standard G21 frame making it a "large frame" Glock, and therefore slightly bigger than a G34/35/17/22 size frame - but not so big as to make a difference as far as CCW.

wasnt the 34 35 made for comp. I was told that the 17l needs a hotter ammo. I assumed the 41 did too

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

so, drive an hour and a half out of your way because you will pay a few extra dollars at a state of the art facility less than 30 minutes away? :facepalm:

20$/day vs 20$/hr... why is a state of art range necessary? Its a range not a space ship. ..lol

Geek,

Keep in mind that in addition to the standard "sizes":

Sub-compact - G26/27

Compact - G19/23

Full size - G17/22

Practical/tactical - G34/25 and now 41

Long slide - G17L/24

That the .45ACP and 10mm guns are also built on a wider frame and are referred to as "Large Frame Glocks" vs the 9mm/.40S&W/.357sig "small frame" guns.

You also have "S" series guns as well as single stack models of the "Large Frame" guns.

68E61693-7851-4D08-9CD3-E41B13FBE776_zps

wasnt the 34 35 made for comp. I was told that the 17l needs a hotter ammo. I assumed the 41 did too

34/35 are the Practical/Tactical models made for comp and "social" work. I carry a G35 on a SWAT team and shoot another one in steel comps.

The 17L and 24 are the long slides.

None of them require hotter than standard ammo.

I am unsure of the 41's ammo requirements since it is a new model. That's why I said to wait a while before buying one.

I'm very interested in a Glock 41 4th gen .45. 

Is this too much of a gun for me the first time?

No. Any handgun will be fine.

Things I like are that it has a long slide, light recoil, good feel, and that its a .45.

You like the idea of .45? Then get a .45.

High Exposure:  I was trying to give a reasonably simple description to a new shooter.  Yes there are additional variations, most of which I consider irrelevant for someone for whom this is his first gun.

Diamondd817:  I agree he should get what he wants, but he was seeking opinions here.  My very first pistol was a .45.  It was a poor choice for me as a first pistol.  My second pistol was a G23 which now has many thousands of rounds through it, both .40 and 9mm and was an excellent choice.  That pistol will be part of my estate.

There are many excellent opinions posted and I value them all. Special thanks to

NJGF Member for giving such excellent pointers.

I went to see the 41 yesterday in person and began talking to the 2 guys over at the store in Rahway and they both stated something that is still resignating with me. They stated that if I went with a 9mm or .40 that I would regret not buying the larger caliper,  I couldn't help but agree with them 100%. I was hoping to hear from someone who currently owns one but that's ok considering its new.

I am going with a buddy who owns a 9mm and a .45 next week to Belleville to fire some shots.  While he doesn't have the G41 that I want, hopefully it'll help me make my decision. The 9mm option I am considering is the Baretta 92 fs Inox which is the stainless steel version. I do love the 2 tone look.

I put 100 or so rounds through the 41 the other day and it was not very forgiving with recoil. My opinion is to get a 34 or 35 with the conversion barrel. You need to shoot a lot and doing so with 45 is more expensive.

And remember getting advice from the guys that work in a gun store is worth little to nothing. The only way to know is to shoot the pistol you are thinking about. I have 9mm 40sw and 45acp and I shoot the 9mm the most.

You can always get more permits and by that time the 41 should be more proven even thought it hasn't had to many problems same frame as the 21 with a longer slide. I say get the a 34 and come shoot USPSA production matches. Then go nuts and buy everything you want you may see your tastes change!! Either way if you are like most of us you will own a bunch more guns!

High Exposure:  I was trying to give a reasonably simple description to a new shooter.  Yes there are additional variations, most of which I consider irrelevant for someone for whom this is his first gun.

Geek, understood. But the difference between the large frame (.45/10mm) Glocks and small frame (9/.40/.357) Glocks is of significant importance to a new shooter looking at a .45ACP Glock.

I went to see the 41 yesterday in person and began talking to the 2 guys over at the store in Rahway and they both stated something that is still resignating with me. They stated that if I went with a 9mm or .40 that I would regret not buying the larger caliper, I couldn't help but agree with them 100%.

Why do you agree with them 100%?

I don't own a single .45ACP pistol and I have no regrets.

I shoot .40S&W and 9mm much better than any .45ACP pistol.

I would rather be able to place 5 rounds of .40 in a 4" circle at 10 yards in ~2 seconds from a holster than 3 rounds of .45 in a 6" circle with all else being equal all day long.

Also, remember, if you buy a .45 you have to by .45 ammo at .45 prices with .45 availability....

I am not saying don't get a .45 if that's what you want. It is an excellent round that is supported by many excellent models of pistols. Just examine all your choices logically before you decide.