Howard

Backyard birds - photos

So I have not posted any photos in a while so here are a few backyard birds shot with my 70-200 f/2.8 lens wide open with the new Nikon TC-20e-iii teleconverter [details for those that know this crap :) ]

14058097968_c4f786ffb9_b_d.jpg

14058109079_6e239c8dfb_b_d.jpg

14058167847_5e8605caa1_b_d.jpg

All you have to do is plant a Butterfly Bush. It attracts butterflies AND hummers.

What exactly is a butterfly bush?  Is that its real name, or is it called something else?

I need to learn more about camera lenses, now that I have Upgraded from my simple (though admittedly pretty good) point and click camera, to a fancier DSLR camera. I missed getting some really good shots at an air show because I did not have any were close to enough zoom Like a Ju. 52 coming in for a landing with a Hurricane and Spitfire coming in for a pass behind it, which ended up looking like an attack run on it.

It's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7. The problem I currently have is the lack of magnification. With point and click cameras zoom is obviously measured simply in  X times magnification. With DSLR cameras magnification is of course measured in mm, and I believe generally the higher the number the more magnification, but from what I understand there are other variables that come into play. With out an understanding of the basics, it makes it difficult to know what I would want in a lenses. It probably does not help that I am still learning the camera and it's capabilities, as well as how to make it do what I wasn't it to. 

I think the first is a Gray catbird, never really seen them before until they started showing up a few years ago. I like them, they seem very peaceful. Some took up residence in a nearby tree but Blue-Jay family took ownership of the tree this year. Anyway nice photos

It's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7. The problem I currently have is the lack of magnification. With point and click cameras zoom is obviously measured simply in  X times magnification. With DSLR cameras magnification is of course measured in mm, and I believe generally the higher the number the more magnification, but from what I understand there are other variables that come into play. With out an understanding of the basics, it makes it difficult to know what I would want in a lenses. It probably does not help that I am still learning the camera and it's capabilities, as well as how to make it do what I wasn't it to. 

I am not that familiar with Panasonic cameras, but yes the longer the lens the more reach.  Long fast lenses get very expensive very quickly.  A great forum where you can get many answers and learn a lot is http://digital-photography-school.com/forum/forum.php

The Robins look more beatup every year. They are starting to remind me of the birds south of the Tropic of Cancer. Everything comparable looks similar but 10 million years less evolved and missing a few months of required bathings.

I find them interesting for such a common bird. They always have a lot of egg filling this time of year and look like they might pop if they fly into the wrong object. I have seen them perform aerial maneuvers exceeding the skills of a hummingbee crossed with a falcon when chasing grasshoppers. I have never seen any bird do what a Robin can do. I wish they did it more often.

I am not that familiar with Panasonic cameras, but yes the longer the lens the more reach.  Long fast lenses get very expensive very quickly.  A great forum where you can get many answers and learn a lot is http://digital-photography-school.com/forum/forum.php

And for Nikon shooters, the Nikon Cafe is a great resource!

And for Nikon shooters, the Nikon Cafe is a great resource!

Digital Grin is another good board, but I wanted to provide a novice friendly place for someone just starting out and without Nikon gear.  Nikon Cafe has a very good buy sell board too.  Another great forum is fredmiranda.com

Digital Grin is another good board, but I wanted to provide a novice friendly place for someone just starting out and without Nikon gear.  Nikon Cafe has a very good buy sell board too.  Another great forum is fredmiranda.com

Yeah, photography can chew up your pay check faster than an AR.

Yeah, photography can chew up your pay check faster than an AR.

Well yea, but with digital photography it is not that bad.  Remember with shooting its much more operating costs than capital costs.  Sure guns are not cheap, but its the ammo that will drive you to the poor house.  In digital photography the capital cost is high, but the operating cost is almost nothing.  While camera bodies decline in value, lenses either maintain their value or actually go up in value over time.

Well yea, but with digital photography it is not that bad.  Remember with shooting its much more operating costs than capital costs.  Sure guns are not cheap, but its the ammo that will drive you to the poor house.  In digital photography the capital cost is high, but the operating cost is almost nothing.  While camera bodies decline in value, lenses either maintain their value or actually go up in value over time.

The technology can be challenging. A great camera body can be discontinued in a couple of years. If you want bells and whistles, you have to pay the price. A great gun will last a lifetime with proper care.

Thank you, I'll check it out this weekend after I am done working on my Mini (Just discovered the electrical problem I have been having was actually two separate problems one that I had actually fixed before, but while I was putting it back together I forgot to reattach a main positive cable and it's taken me a month to realize it  :banghead: Hopefully it should be just putting every thing back together.) Hopefully I can learn a lot there as I do enjoy taking photographs.

Catbirds?? Should be shot on sight!

They ruined  one of my best tomato crops a few years ago. Took nibbes out of every near ripe tomato.

I couldn't figure it out and even called Rutgers Extension. Then I saw them pecking at the tomatoes one day.

Aarrgh!!!