Fallen Knight

Thoughts on .40S&W and Beretta 96A1

Hey everyone,

So I did some reading on this, first off, I get that there isn't any "goldilocks" caliber, but how greatt is the difference between the 9mm and .40 in terms of ease of acquiring, price, and stopping power?

Secondly, would this Beretta 96A1 also have significantly more recoil than the M9(to those who've shot both)? I shot the G17 and didn't like the snappiness that it had, even though it is 9mm. And lastly, would the 96A1 be as durable and reliable as the M9? I've read that apparently .40 cal guns tend to "wear" out faster...I won't presume to have any knowledge nor expertise in this area.

I know the .40cal seems to be a polarizing topic...But I trust we can keep it civil and gain something from the discussion! Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas!

I'd avoid the 40 caliber. More expensive, more recoil, stopping power is more than 9mm but you can buy 9mm +p rounds or hollow points for home defense anyway. If you like didn't like the snappiness of the G17 then 40 cal is going to be even greater than that. You might like CZ-75's or Browning Hi Powers. All metal 9mm guns that have very low recoil. 

First, take stopping power out of your vocabulary. There is no such thing.

Read this: http://m.policemag.com/article/2426/stopping-power-myths-legends-and-realities

Second, with modern ammunition, especially modern hollow point ammo, there is very little difference in terminal ballistics when comparing the major "duty" calibers - .38spl, .357mag, 9mm, .40S&W, .357sig, 10mm, .45ACP

The .40S&W is a good round. I carry it every day and feel comfortable with it. The caveat is that I have realistic expectations of what the round is capable of, recognizing the fact that it is a pistol caliber and knowing that all pistol caliber rounds are poor fight stoppers.

That said, if I had a choice, I would carry 9mm for more mundane reasons such as price and availability.

I was under the impression +P rounds are illegal in NJ...?

They are not. Where did you hear that?

I have no use for a 40. I carry a 9mm or 45. The 40 is the bastard child of the 10mm that was invented more to sell new guns than bridge the gap between 9 and 45.

In the recent past (6-8 months) I bought a 96A1. I can't speak to the long term durability, but after 800 rounds I haven't had any problems with it.

Regarding recoil, it seems comparable to my 2 9mm's (HK P30 & M&P 9C). The 96A1 is a big, all metal (except for trigger & guide rod) pistol. For me, it's a pretty easy shooter.

One warning however: if you are planning to use the gun for matches that require a holster, you should probably look elsewhere. It seems that no one makes a holster for these Berettas with rails on them.

I have a decent collection of reply emails stating "no, our holster DOES NOT fit your gun"

Other then that, I like it and am glad I bought it.

I may not be as "hands on" as some of the other posters here in regards to reloading and familiarity with multiple pistols but my first purchase was the 96a1 and although i have shot plenty 9mm and .45 the main reason i bought .40 was the fact that 9mm was getting a little difficult to find locally. This was about a year ago i guess. The other reason was fit, the Beretta fit my hand great as opposed to Glock for instance. Turns out i really like shooting the .40 S&W. i think it is in the sweet spot for comfortable shooting . I recently got active in shooting games and use the .40S&W and i found that Beretta makes a decent holster for the 92 and 96 with a rail for $50 

It comes with belt and paddle for the hip , pretty comfortable 

http://www.berettausa.com/products/beretta-92fs/92a1-holster-rh/

The 40 will always have more recoil than the 9mm when used in the same platforms. According to ballistic tests, the difference between modern HP 40 and 9mm self defense ammo is marginal. Don't overthink the caliber effectiveness. Will a 40 pistol wear out before a 9mm pistol of the same platform? Probably, the 40 exerts more energy on the pistol. Will you ever be able to wear out a Beretta 92 platform in 40 or 9mm? We will revisit that question when you get to the 100,000rd mark.

i found that Beretta makes a decent holster for the 92 and 96 with a rail for $50 

It comes with belt and paddle for the hip , pretty comfortable 

http://www.berettausa.com/products/beretta-92fs/92a1-holster-rh/

Wow! Just rechecked Berett'a website and this model is available for southpaws as well. Thanks for the heads-up. I'm ordering one right now.

I typed too quickly. Just spoke to Beretta customer service and the LH version doesn't fit the 96A1.

That is good to know! +P rounds, due to the increased pressure, will have result in greater recoil, and wearing out of the gun then, no?

You are correct but that all depends on the gun. Shoot +P in a k frame size gun and the effect is going to take a lot longer than a j frame gun. Most of the +P I shoot is in a k frame. I don't use +P in any semiautomatic. If you look at testing +P really doesn't give you that much more, more so in a short barrel.

My idea of a +P 380 is called a 9mm parabellum , +P 9mm is a 357 Sig, and so on.

so is this gonna be ur 1st handgun ?

Or do u have other calibers ?

I dunno y .40 gets so much hate. I love my .40z

I shoot it as well as any other caliber and don't feel any more "snappiness" than any other caliber. correct grip and control all that u need :)

I'm still learning both :)

Yeah, this will be my first gun, ever. I don't have too much cash to spend right now, definitely want to keep less than 1,000.00 since I've got school related expenses coming up. I don't know when I'll be able to buy another gun, but I hope my next one will be an AR, since I'm relocating to PA for school, so I won't have NJ laws holding me back.

Yeah, this will be my first gun, ever. I don't have too much cash to spend right now, definitely want to keep less than 1,000.00 since I've got school related expenses coming up. I don't know when I'll be able to buy another gun, but I hope my next one will be an AR, since I'm relocating to PA for school, so I won't have NJ laws holding me back.

unless u stocked up on ammo even before the great panic ;) than ammo cost will be an issue. I would say that at this point you shoudnt care about the caliber specs as ur 1st step is learning and perfecting the skill of shooting. And as any skill it only comes after hours and hours of practice. so my personal recommendation is to stick with 9mm or even .22 ( many ppl don't give enough credit to .22lr) and buy a used handgun ( trust me mate if the weapon is properly maintained u will see NO difference between new and used besides some cosmetics, my last new handgun was my very 1st handgun ). U will save tons of money that u can then spend on range fees and more ammo.

PS just FYI my very 1st handgun was a Sig in .40, so Ive been there brother :)

Thank you all for the advice! I'm hoping to take  basics class some time this week at RTSP. I'm not a very large guy, being around 5'7 and just over 130lbs, that plus being new to shooting, makes me tend to avoid recoil, for the time being. That's why I wanted to gauge the difference between the 9mm and .40cal recoil, because as a smaller guy with undeveloped skills(for now), I wanted to start off with the most powerful caliber that I can handle. Any gun that is .40 cal that is comparable to the 96a1 in handling, weight, recoil, etc? RTSP doesn't have the 96a1 available for rental, unfortunately.

You do understand that recoil is impossible to eliminate. It is also controllable by technique regardless if your size.

You are way overthinking this whole thing brother....

^ this. Your best strategy is to find the frame that feels the best in your hand . Recoil is nominal between 9mm all the way to 45 ACP in full size handguns in my experience . Shoot what feels good out of those calibers , and you are likely to shoot more often , which leads to proficiency , which factors in way more than ballistics. I'm 4'11 with small hands . I do weigh more than you do though lol .  Seriously though , ergonomics and liking your gun trumps the minor details of 9mm vs 40 vs 45. There is nothing wrong with modern 9mm ammo as a self defense round. Nothing at all. And yes , some .40 cal loads are snappy. The people standing around you will notice it more than you do. The only time I worry about about caliber per say is when I am being strategic in shooting sports. If you want to do something like IDPA or USPSA .40 cal can put you in a spot that is disadvantageous as a beginner for scoring / division reasons. Aside from that one minor caveat I say try before you buy , and buy whatever feels best. Good luck!    

In the recent past (6-8 months) I bought a 96A1. I can't speak to the long term durability, but after 800 rounds I haven't had any problems with it.

Regarding recoil, it seems comparable to my 2 9mm's (HK P30 & M&P 9C). The 96A1 is a big, all metal (except for trigger & guide rod) pistol. For me, it's a pretty easy shooter.

One warning however: if you are planning to use the gun for matches that require a holster, you should probably look elsewhere. It seems that no one makes a holster for these Berettas with rails on them.

I have a decent collection of reply emails stating "no, our holster DOES NOT fit your gun"

Other then that, I like it and am glad I bought it.

Good holster the the 96A1:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/610259/desantis-thumb-break-scabbard-belt-holster-right-hand-beretta-92-a1-leather-black

I love my 96A1, I still have a problem though with the standard beretta safety/decock

I personally like the .40 for self defense. I can keep it on target however I do not like shooting more then 100 or so rounds at the range. I have a springfield emp .40 which has the same manual of arms as my full size 1911. so I run about 100 through my emp then continue to practice with my full size .45 simply because the recoil is easier. The .40 is a snap while the .45 is more of a push. My other carry piece is a sig m11a1 (229) in 9mm. That I have no problem shooting all day like my .45. In the end its up to what you feel comfortable shooting.

Thank you for the all the advice and input! After reading through your contributions and suggestions, I've settled on the Beretta 92a1. I picked it up last week, and soon thereafter left for CA, I'll be back soon and look forward to getting to know my new friend at the range GW!

On a sidenote, I did look into the cz75, and it's definitely an impressive gun, but it's a bit more expensive, and I need to discipline myself financially at this point. Thanks again everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk