edwill86

bipod suggestions

I'd get sandbags or a rest instead of a bipod if that's your intended use.

+1

Last year I was all set to buy a bipod for a Ruger American Rifle that I only shot from a bench and was asking the same question.  The experienced shooters steered me in the right direction.  I made my own bags out of a sock, some rice and ductape.  It works like a charm.  Bipods do have a purpose in life, but bench shooting is not really one of them.

If your dad is shooting a light machine gun, then by all means get one for him.  Otherwise bags are all he needs.  Unless your dad is a mall ninja, then he'd definitely appreciate it.

BS.....

The purpose of a bipod is providing a rest that is readily mobile... Sure bags work fine.... But if I am moving through several distances it is far easier to have a bipod attached to the gun... Vs lugging bags around....

Nothing mall ninja about it...

The reason you saw Harris suggested over and over again is it works well... As with anything working well normally puts you at an increased cost... So you are left with two options... Wait... Save... And get a proven unit... Or impulse buy a lower quality unit and settle... I would personally just use bags until you could afford something nicer... But shooting from bags is not a replacement for a good quality bipod...

I think that a bipod belongs on any AR beyond those used for CQB - and maybe those too. I think there is a place for bench shooting aids rather than firearm mounted ones, but that would be primarily for those guns used almost exclusively from a bench. An AR with a bipod is a far more flexible implement - shoot it from the bench, shoot from the ground, take it into the field. 

I have the whole nine yards. A moderately expensive front rest and the whole complement of sandbags to make use of same, and they are a PITA to haul to the range every time. Far easier to take the rifle with the inclusive rest (bipod) for casual plinking or semi-serious accuracy work.

There is a technique for using a bipod - it has to be loaded equally for each shot for your best accuracy. You are pushing slightly forward on the rifle, in order to help stabilize the bipod - but that forward pressure has to be consistent, shot to shot, to achieve the best accuracy, as you are loading the firearm differently each time if you are not consistent. I don't think that's possible with a cheap bipod and would recommend a Harris at the minimum.

While the 6"-9" height is fine for off the bench and for magazines <30 rounds long, the 9"-13" may be better for use in the field and also becuase it provides clearance for 30 round length mags. 9" works fine from the bench. I've also found that a monopod works great when used with the bipod - and, again, no tons of equipment to lug to the range.

This...

2mgwapu.jpg

As opposed to this...

2vkdpw9.jpg

Adios,

Pizza Bob

He's a Vietnam vet. He likes tacticool stuff for some reason. Its hard to talk him out of things ounces he's decided he "needs that" lol

The bottom line is get him what will make him smile.  I suggested bags because, as a practical matter, that's all he needs off of a bench and it will give him the best accuracy with the least amount of moving parts.  If he likes bipods then get him a good one, like the Harris others have recommended or an Atlas.  As far as mall ninjas go, they use the cheap made in china stuff (UTG NcStar), more frustrating than helpful and there mostly for looks..  Seeing as how your pop is a Nam vet, he's not likely to fall in the mall ninja category so purchase accordingly.

Hey Ed... I picked up a decent bipod from wally world its sold under the Winchester name. Its pretty decent and robust for the price... about 70 bucks. I use it to sight my rifles in like the guys here say so it moves from gun to gun. A little on the heavy side but unless you want to drop some coin on Harris i find this works well.... if your running a rail you will need to get an adapter though...

Hey Ed... I picked up a decent bipod from wally world its sold under the Winchester name. Its pretty decent and robust for the price... about 70 bucks. I use it to sight my rifles in like the guys here say so it moves from gun to gun. A little on the heavy side but unless you want to drop some coin on Harris i find this works well.... if your running a rail you will need to get an adapter though...

You can often find the Harris on sale for between $95 and $105. Why pay $70 for the Winchester?