Pizza Bob

What This Forum Lacks...

In a word: Women. Let me say, right up front, that I have no solution to this dilemma, but it is something that should be addressed. From participation in the sport to political activism we need more women.

AFAIK, we only have one woman posting on this forum: IrishPete’s Wife. She is the uber-female shooter. She started shooting, I believe, less than three years ago. Since that time she has been an active participant in IDPA and USPSA matches. She is a certified NRA Instructor and an instructor at Gun For Hire as well as a certified Range Safety Officer for IDPA. She manages all this while being a mother to three small children (well four, if you count Pete) and being a freelance photographer. I couldn’t resist the small shot at Pete, but Sandy manages all this because of the full support of, and participation with, her husband Pete.

I point her out because she is the ultimate example of a woman shooter. I wouldn’t expect that level of accomplishment from all women – or men for that matter, but we need to have a broad spectrum of women involved in our sport at all levels.

While Mr. Stu will be conducting an informal Intro to IDPA this coming Sunday (6/1) at EFGA, Sandy will be one of three instructors holding a more formal Intro to IDPA for Women at Hellertown. The cost is nominal and along with Sandy there will be another female instructor and a Master class male instructor. If your wives or significant others have expressed any interest in shooting, this may be an excellent vehicle to get them to become more involved – likewise Stu’s course if your gender doesn’t allow you to attend the Hellertown course. I’d suggest you PM either of them if you or the one you love has shown an interest.

Aside from that, I urge every one of you to try and motivate your spouse or SO to participate more in any aspect of the shooting sports – from formal competition to just going to the range and shooting – and then, instead of being a shrinking violet, they need to talk about it among their friends and in this forum.

Just my thoughts for this holiday morning – sorry for rambling, but that’s what I do.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Sandy 'use to' post. But not in awhile. Last I spoke to her, she was frustrated with folks here. She has enough on her plate.

So suffice to say, our arrogance, course demeanor and quite a lot of other bad qualities drive the women away.

We need not to scare them off!

Sent from my iPhone using TT 2 Pro

So suffice to say, our arrogance, coarse demeanor and quite a lot of other bad qualities drive the women away.

Sounds like most of us!

There are days I wonder why my wife puts up with me....

It is a reflection of a more general problem. Look at the ranges and see how often you see women who are not there with "their man".  And it isn't because women don't own guns, I think it has to do with how we treat them. My wife used to go to the range by herself but she kept on getting annoyed by random people (read: men) who seemed to think she was lost/abandoned/needed help/etc.  It is not as if my wife can't handle her self in those situations, but she likes to go to the range to relax, not deal with random people.

I think a lot of men gun owners are stuck in a very conservative mind set, or at least the more vocal ones are, and treat women as "the little lady" instead of treating women as equals on the range. They are not doing this to be "mean", I think they think they are helping, but they are not. They are just continuing a stereotype.

My wife really has no interest in guns beyond self defense, and maybe practicing once in a while with other women. There is also the time aspect, 3 small kids also, and me travelling frequently. But so far, she has only been to the range with me or in a class setting. She does not feel confident enough to go alone, she is capable enough, but not confident. As far as this forum, she has about zero interest in it, the few times I have showed it to her she said right off it was a men-oriented forum. Could say the same for Pinterest or etsy from my POV. I don't have an answer either, but at least my wife got into it and was annoyed and sending emails/letters to Christie to veto the new mag bills.

It is a reflection of a more general problem. Look at the ranges and see how often you see women who are not there with "their man". And it isn't because women don't own guns, I think it has to do with how we treat them. My wife used to go to the range by herself but she kept on getting annoyed by random people (read: men) who seemed to think she was lost/abandoned/needed help/etc. It is not as if my wife can't handle her self in those situations, but she likes to go to the range to relax, not deal with random people.

I think a lot of men gun owners are stuck in a very conservative mind set, or at least the more vocal ones are, and treat women as "the little lady" instead of treating women as equals on the range. They are not doing this to be "mean", I think they think they are helping, but they are not. They are just continuing a stereotype.

Yea, but they don't do it as evident with other men. In other words, if I grumble to myself for a bad day shooting, no one comes to help and comfort me. Realize, I do not need help. Just making a point. It is definitely the animal in men or at least the ones who can't keep it real. I'm just the opposite. I insist she go without me because I do trust her and she can hold her own against the persistent kinds. Besides, we may not see eye to eye and I have no patience when she insists doing it her way. It also saves me from sleeping on the dreaded couch of doom! ;)

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

My wife really has no interest in guns beyond self defense, and maybe practicing once in a while with other women. There is also the time aspect, 3 small kids also, and me travelling frequently. But so far, she has only been to the range with me or in a class setting. She does not feel confident enough to go alone, she is capable enough, but not confident. As far as this forum, she has about zero interest in it, the few times I have showed it to her she said right off it was a men-oriented forum. Could say the same for Pinterest or etsy from my POV. I don't have an answer either, but at least my wife got into it and was annoyed and sending emails/letters to Christie to veto the new mag bills.

Same here. She has no interest in ANY type of forum. She deals with enough people at work and wants nothing to do with the internet alter egos.

She also sees me frustrated with them and hears me jibber jabbering enough to know they are really not for her.

In a word: Women. Let me say, right up front, that I have no solution to this dilemma, but it is something that should be addressed. From participation in the sport to political activism we need more women.

AFAIK, we only have one woman posting on this forum: IrishPete’s Wife.

Just curious... Have we identified all who post here "visually" (i.e. at a meetup, or "Shotgun Shootout" or when hanging out at your favorite FFL)? I'm wondering if, perhaps, some on here may be posting "androdgenously." I have my suspicions... I'll keep them to myself... :D :D :D

And, FTR, I'm all male. :D

Aside from that, I urge every one of you to try and motivate your spouse or SO to participate more in any aspect of the shooting sports – from formal competition to just going to the range and shooting – and then, instead of being a shrinking violet, they need to talk about it among their friends and in this forum.

Just my thoughts for this holiday morning – sorry for rambling, but that’s what I do.

I'll be trying to introduce my niece to the sport, as I introduced my nephew to it. She will turn 18 in July, and can shoot long guns on her own. Problem is, I believe her interest is in pistol shooting, so I'll be trying to work with her. I may need help as I need people willing to lend .22s for her to shoot (I only have 9mm and .45acp).

Just curious... Have we identified all who post here "visually" (i.e. at a meetup, or "Shotgun Shootout" or when hanging out at your favorite FFL)? I'm wondering if, perhaps, some on here may be posting "androdgenously." I have my suspicions... I'll keep them to myself... :D :D :D

And, FTR, I'm all male. :D

I'll be trying to introduce my niece to the sport, as I introduced my nephew to it. She will turn 18 in July, and can shoot long guns on her own. Problem is, I believe her interest is in pistol shooting, so I'll be trying to work with her. I may need help as I need people willing to lend .22s for her to shoot (I only have 9mm and .45acp).

I try to make it to the guild on Sunday mornings. If you are there with her, You may find me and my fiance on the 6 port side with a pink M&P22. Your more than welcome to use it.

I try to make it to the guild on Sunday mornings. If you are there with her, You may find me and my fiance on the 6 port side with a pink M&P22. Your more than welcome to use it.

Much appreciated. She'd be in Church on Sunday mornings. Or at work, otherwise (gotta make fuel money et al.). :)

And it will probably be at EFGA. I have a guild membership also. But what I learned recently is people between 18-21 at HG must have parental (or guardian) consent even to shoot handguns under adult supervision! If 18 or over, they can sign their own consent/waiver for "long guns," but they must be 21 or have parental/guardian consent to shoot hand guns, even under "older" adult supervision... :crazy:  I dont' believe EFGA or the other ranges have this requirement.

The reason there are 99% males on NJGF is because they want to get away from their wives.

Lmao!

Personally I think all women should shoot because firearms are the great equalizer.

That being said, We have our own pompous jerks on this forum and I admit I am one at times.

This may shy women away,

Also many of the gun games ( IDPA / USPSA ) I feel are taken more seriously than some would like, specifically some women.

IMHO the protection of self and family aspect is what needs to be emphasized.

In my family, men and women shoot both long and handguns at least every 6 months for proficiency.

We used to play gun games but between the busy life and some pompous AHs we found better stuff to do.

NECESSARY EDIT:  We did meet some wonderful people at gun games.

Also many of the gun games ( IDPA / USPSA ) I feel are taken more seriously than some would like, specifically some women.

How do you figure exactly? I'm only asking because we have a number of women that shoot those games regularly, and there is significant increase in the number of women shooting 3gun.

I'm curious, how did you arrive to your conclusion?

This forum needs more female constitutional conservatives (and to all you who know who you are... more male constitutional conservatives)!

Hey Bob , thanks for the flattering post :)

I love IDPA , wish I could participate more. I do occasionally teach a 1st steps at GFH as well and I really enjoy introducing people , specifically women , to the world of firearms.

I started shooting when Skipio ( my youngest son, who is really named Peadar,  who is now nicknamed after the bean baby in Somerset IDPA ) was 5 months old and he will be 3 in 2 weeks. So , about 2 1/2 years. The good news is he goes to school full time starting on his 3rd birthday June 2nd , so I will have a lot more time to , mmmm , maybe practice at the range more :)

John ( bhunted) - I actually stopped visiting all my forums because they tend to suck up more time than a mere blurb on FB. As the baby got older , less keyboard time was to be had . I hate foruming on smart phones and tablets and I am usually mobile these days. Plus , it is true - the keyboard warriors (that are on ANY forum on any topic) get old.

That said , I do plan on participating a bit more here and just staying away from anything too dramatic lol.

Ironically I was coming on here to mention our women's shooting group that is really taken off. It is headed by Shari Spivak who is a very skilled shooter and also an NRA instructor in a few disciplines. Our home range is Woodland Park. I am going to post about this forum in our group and see if we cant get some more women involved. There are no dues or anything , we only charge for events where expenses need to be covered. Look us up on facebook - Second Amendment Women Shooting Club.

Women are more important in our hobby than most other hobbies because of the political aspect . Women ARE the swing vote. Odds are like it or not it is the woman of the house who is going to decide what way the family sways on firearms and whether or not the kids are going to learn to shoot safely .  

Again ,thanks Bob. Warm up the car I'll probably be bugging you for a gun store outing while Skipio is in school with the other two :) Mommy wants a new .40 cal.  

This forum needs more female constitutional conservative!

Who cares what political background our members have? I don't care if they're male, female, black, white, gay, straight, Mormon, or atheist. The more the merrier. The gun rights movement really can't afford to be picky.

As for more more women? Absolutely, but we need to look at ourselves and realize that we're part of the problem. People with cleavage for avatars aren't helping and our typically abrasive discourse could use some refinement as well.

Also Bob , I wanted to compliment you on being a true ambassador to the firearms community. You are a huge help to anyone that needs it , extremely knowledgeable , and you are incredibly patient.  You took me on my first gun store tour , and I bought my first store bought gun ever ( my Model 60 J frame pro series) on that tour. The same applied with Gayle. You waited patiently while the 2 women gun shopped for hours ..thanks for being such a good guy :)

Who cares what political background our members have? I don't care if they're male, female, black, white, gay, straight, Mormon, or atheist. The more the merrier. The gun rights movement really can't afford to be picky.

So much this. I don't know why people choose to self pigeon whole the whole firearms issue, with a single political doctrine. That is the recipe  for making enemies, and it is exactly what anti-gunners have been doing to gun owners for a very long time, successfully I might add.  By paining all gun owners as "republican, white, racist, southern, religious, whatever" they have managed to make gun right and self defense a niche issue with visceral feedback loops. 

Think of it this way, would you really be upset if suddenly all gay people decided to buy guns? All liberals? All <pick your minority>? It would be fricking awesome!

Sandy, thank you back. Now that the mutual admiration society is out of the way...

Vlad, you are 100% correct. We need to be a sport of inclusiveness and not let ourselves be pigeonholed by the antis. Sometimes we are our own worst enemies by allowing ourselves to be lumped into the evil category of gun owners - as defined by the opposition. 

There is a need for more organizations like Sandy's 2A Women and other groups that are typically thought of as liberal/anti-gun. Whatever happened to the Pink Panthers? While it is important to have these gunowners represented in their own community, it is far more important for them to be recognized as a part of the whole. There is strength in numbers and as long as we alienate large segments of the population because of their beliefs outside our core issue, we will always be in the minority.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Welcome back Sandy... We are backed up on pancake breakfasts. Long over due. We gotta do this again!

For sure! Have not seen you at the range John. Then again I do not get to go all that often. That will change in 7 days..exactly lol

Kewl... I only go in mornings. Be on a road trip soon. So when I get back, I'll drop you a note.

I'm part of the solution instead of being a part of the problem.  I've never "hung-out" on a forum to escape my wife.  I treat women shooters as EQUALS.  Just yesterday I made a house call to drop-in replacement parts for a (Girl)friend's Ruger SR-.22.  Also diagnosed her 9 yr. old son as having a major eye dominance issue (using my son's 20 yr. old Marlin Youth Model "Little Buckeroo").  I support Gun Rights for all regardless of Gender, Sexual Preference, Race, Age, you name it!  I help Sandy and Shari whenever possible, at my own expense, because I BELIEVE in all of the good work they're both doing in leading a newly-formed group of women shooters into some of the finer aspects of the sport.

Some of the guys that "hang" here are really, really experienced.  Some think they know it all and in actuality they aren't dry behind the ears yet.  Some are absolute EXPERTS even though they haven't bought a gun or fired a single shot!  But THAT'S the price you pay when it's an open forum and anybody can type.  I wish to see more female involvement in the forum.  More questions, more commentary, more everything.  I don't necessarily think that it's all the Guy's fault either.  Unlike peeing in same-sex groups of two or more, forums are such that one must be somewhat independent and "open" to discussion, outgoing if you will.  Some women aren't wired that way, it's just the way it is.  But somewhere I feel there's a balance that can be struck.  Maybe we need Sandy to shoot a Firemen's Calendar with a bunch of really buff guys in Speedos so the Gals have some of there own avatars?

Finally, everybody needs to lighten-up and let the ladies into the Pro-Gun world.  Women are complicated creatures, and will remain so.  A little bit of respect will go a LONG way IMHO!

Rosey

As for more more women? Absolutely, but we need to look at ourselves and realize that we're part of the problem. People with cleavage for avatars aren't helping and our typically abrasive discourse could use some refinement as well.

I think its a scientific fact right up there with global warming, the liberal mind of any creed or gender is largely incapable of safe gun ownership, at least over time.  Are there exceptions to the rule?  Probably.  But lets look at my anti-brother-in-law and his wife (I think she is female).  They are perfect examples.  They also believe that they cannot make up their own decisions and so the government must know best.  It has to in their case. They are against gun ownership because they cannot control their behavior and actions (anger management) and because they need guidance, and due to transference, they believe that others are equally as pathetic.  As far as constitutional conservative goes, we will eventually lose our unalienable right to self-protect unless we move in that orientation.  I am not talking the ultra-right demon conservatives that really don't exist that are quoted continuously in the media, except for a very small minority in the fringe.  Is Constitutional Conservative the be all and end all? No, but it is our only hope, Obi Wan.  Is a somewhat safe male or female liberal with a gun a start in the right direction, I guess. 

The more the merrier... Quality is better than quantity.  Oh, wait, lets not hurt anybody's self esteem.

If you want more inclusion, including women in our forum and this media, then I suggest having an NJGF Pinterest board.  

I have noticed that men try to help women out at the range sometimes and it annoys them.  It seems that way in the gym, too.  Give them space.  Maybe space on the forum, too.

I think the whole thing is an interest thing.  If it was NJGASF (New Jersey Gun and Shoes Forum), there would be women on here 5 to 1.  Max should look into starting the NJSF (New Jersey Shoe Forum).  Think of the clients!  And if GTO Nut was working there, he probably wouldn't have to put up with politics, which are ingrained in ANY gun or firearms forum.

If you take some of the women in your life to the range and they become interested, and then you point them to this site, they will most likely gravitate.  But, will they want to come here to talk about gunsmithing, politics, and such.  NO.  Not really.  It's all about interest.  Do they want to talk about S&W Revolvers?  Probably not.  So, what topics would they be interested in?  Coach holsters? Alex and Ani Grips?  Brighton sights?   Vera range bags? Starbuck's Trap Event?