danw77

Favorite Mags

Just wondering what peoples preferences are. I finally ordered most of my parts and will be starting my first build soon  :icon_e_biggrin: , I just need to order some mags. I was thinking of going with these from MidwestPX, but am open to other options also. Honestly, I was thinking about these because they are the cheapest. Are these good or is there a good reason to spend a little more $$$ on one of the others?

http://midwestpx.com/product_info.php?products_id=356

Thanks. I tried to check out PK90's site before, but it was down. I'll have to check back later. Without any experience, I'm having a hard time deciding between the 15/20 or 15/30.

I field the 15/20 vs. 15/30 question quite often. My personal preference is for a 30rd body because they're easier to work with in the rifle, especially when clearing malfunctions. If you expect to be manipulating mags the way you would in carbine classes, the 15/30 is likely your better option. 15/20s are better suited for shooting off a bench. Truth be told, here in MO where we don't have magazine restrictions, I use a 10rd mags when zeroing a new build. Some people will say 15/30s attract more attention so they stick with 15/20s.

I've bought all sorts of modified PMags from Midwest PX.

Hell, I've even got a few for guns I don't own...yet (*coughMATENcough*  ...get after 'em Ty! Daddy needs a KeyMod 7.62 gun!).

Every one of my MPX/Magpul 5.56 mags work great. "Flawless" is the word I'd use.

I've also got two cut & riveted aluminum mags from Bushmaster. The method used to modify each mag is a little different (one is very old). They both suck donkey dick on the town square.

I use them for malfunction drills ... the only thing they can be counted on nearly 100% of the time, lol......frackin' Bushamster

The most common question that is asked here is: What is the purpose of the rifle that you are building. 

So I'll expand that further to include your particular magazine needs.

Are you going to run and gun and use this rifle in a tactical sense? (rigged-out warrior style)

If so, then you'll get lots of recommendations to go with the 15/30 mags (and I'll refrain from expounding further on that in order to avoid any new flame wars on that subject).

Or... are you going to use this gun for range shooting and/HD (or guerrilla warfare vs the zombie invasion)?

If so, then the 15/20's would be my recommendation.

As of now 15 rounds is the maximum limit in the state of NJ. So regardless of 20, 30, 50, 100, or even 1,000 round mags.... you can only legally have 15 rounds in any of them.

So depending on what your needs are, choose the mag that best suits those needs. 

If you want to give yourself flexibility until you absolutely know what size suits your needs, then go with both 15/20 and 15/30. Then supplement as needed going forward.

As for my recommendation...

Get the Pmags from MidwestPX. I own 3 of their blocked 15/20's and I am satisfied with them. 

(and in full disclosure, I have absolutely no vested interest in Midwest PX. We've actually disagreed on the topic of 20 vs 30 rounders on these boards, but that does not detract from my respect for their products).

Btw, do you have a build thread here?

Thanks for all the input. No build thread yet. I won't be doing any run and guns for now... just range and HD. I just got my stripped lower last week and I'm still waiting for my parts kit and upper to come in. I'm going with a budget build... mostly PSA components. I'm at $510 so far (not including FFL) but I still have to buy mags and a rear sight.  My goal was to do it for under $600 and I think I'll be close. I'll start a thread once I get all of the parts.