jds560

A $500 < 45. NOT STRIKER, NOT 1911

This is a "What am I missing? thread. I need ideas, not comparisons. I can formulate my own opinions on guns after checking them out. I already have a Norinco 1911 and a GLOCK 30. My father has a Sar K2 that I can use whenever I want. I'm looking for another .45 for around $500 or less. If it is striker I want 2nd strike capability like the PT24/7 line. I want an accessory rail.

In that range I'm finding:

Taurus PT845

used Sig P220R (& some used carry variants)

used Beretta PX4

Ruger P345

Tanfoglio Witness

Out of that short list, the P220 is in the lead. Even though I despise decockers (I like having a manual safety), it has the best aftermarket. There used to be used HK USP's in this range but now they're all around $700. Are there any diamonds in the rough or lesser known manufacturers making something in my price range?

It's not that I haven't considered just buying a GLOCK 21. I can't see owning two of the same guns. It'd have to be in OD or FDE and those are well above the ~$500 price tag.

Here's a used Ruger P97 for $300 - http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=408864097

Another Ruger KSR45 for >$400 - http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=419210036

S&W 457 Compact $400 - http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=419209818

I know they don't meet all of your wants but you get the idea...

The FN has a huge grip girth. 15 rounds of 45acp takes up some room. Take another look at that "second strike" capability. To me it is a bogus selling point. IMO, anyone with a shred of common sense is going to rack their slide and chamber a new bullet, whether it's a Beretta 92, FN45, or a Glock. Wasting time pulling the trigger on a round that might not ignite the second time either is a risk I wouldn't take. If it's the gun with the problem, then getting a second chance strike probably isn't going to help anything.

In case anyone is wondering about the "types" of PX4s, this might be useful:

F = standard DA/SA w/ a safety decocker, just like the 92FS

G = standard DA/SA w/ a decocker, no safety.

D = double action, no safety or decocker.

C = hammer fired GLOCK.

Well actually, it refers to Beretta’s "constant action" system, which is essentially a hammer fired version of a striker fired pistol. No safeties, etc. Racking the slide cocks the hammer halfway, pulling the trigger finishes cocking and releases the hammer. You can’t thumb the hammer in the half or fully cocked position and the only way to uncock it is to pull the trigger (which doesn’t have a that little hangnail trigger “safety” on it).

In case any of that sounds dangerous (or, alternatively, awesome), fret not: the trigger pull isn’t much lighter than the DAO, but it is a lot shorter. Like the LEM trigger on HKs or the Sig DAK, etc. 

+1 for the Cougar. Made by Berettas subsidiary Stoeger now on Berettas machinery after the px4 came on-line. A new one can be had closer to the $400mark. 8rd, has a ambi safety/decocker, the mag button can switch hit too. Its solid all metal build and rotating brl calms the recoil a bit, at least I think so. Easy to disassemble and clean .Also has front and back grip striations, the front of the trigger guard has a concave grip purchase if you want it. Has the front rail you want, wasnt on the original Beretta models. You'd be hard pressed to find a negative review on it but the mags are a bit pricey .And if you care, its 8045 mags are used in Berettas cx4 Storm 45 version. Make no mistake the Stoeger Cougar is a Beretta thru & thru.