Jfoster99

Are Rifles in Parades exempt?

Man, when I think now that I used to march through the streets of Pine Beach with a 1903 Springfield.  They were demilled drill rifles though.  Imagine doing that today, we'd have a SWAT team on us like white on rice.

Technically speaking, I believe NJ is an open carry state for long guns, or at least it was when I was still hunting 20 years ago.  .  In real life though, I would not recommend it.

I took my kids to the Memorial Day parade over in Barnegat and the American Legion guys had M1 Garands.  They were also shooting blanks and It made my 6 year old daughter jump out of her shoes.

Perhaps some 6:00pm channel. 7 news coverage of wwII vets being zip tied and maced as they are forcible removed from the parade route for illegal discharge of a firearm is what this state needs to open its eyes to the absurd laws we. Have.

I'll be honest, years ago they didn't check for fid. they may still not. I don't think my grand pop had one till he decided he needed a pistol. Most of those old vets have had the same rifles for decades and never had a reason to get one. Probably gets covered under some parade rule. Look at the vehicles you see in them that aren't 100% street legal. The road is closed and it's a function.

Let sleeping dogs lay. :)

American Legion Member

Be thankful for the scrap of Freedom they have so far Looked the other way on?

I rather they keep there scraps and have the vets march with pop guns to show the country just how backwards NJ firearms law is.

Posted Image

Man, when I think now that I used to march through the streets of Pine Beach with a 1903 Springfield. They were demilled drill rifles though. Imagine doing that today, we'd have a SWAT team on us like white on rice.

Technically speaking, I believe NJ is an open carry state for long guns, or at least it was when I was still hunting 20 years ago. . In real life though, I would not recommend it.

If your on the way to the woods to hunt during a prescribed season and have a valid hunting license for said season, you can walk down the street with your long gun unloaded. Legal still. I live in Sussex county its not unusual to see this during deer season. I have been doing it in my neighborhood for 25 years its kind of a normal thing to see. People don't really freak out they know where your going. I wouldn't attempt it on the streets of Paterson though lol.

There is an exemption, but does VFW qualify as a military organization?

" 

2C:39-6. a. Provided a person complies with the requirements of subsection j. of this section, N.J.S.2C:39-5 does not apply to:

(6)     A member of a legally recognized military organization while actually under orders or while going to or from the prescribed place of meeting and carrying the weapons prescribed for drill, exercise or parade;"

This is different from the regular military exception:

"  (1)     Members of the Armed Forces of the United States or of the National Guard while actually on duty, or while traveling between places of duty and carrying authorized weapons in the manner prescribed by the appropriate military authorities;"

I'll be honest, years ago they didn't check for fid. they may still not. I don't think my grand pop had one till he decided he needed a pistol. Most of those old vets have had the same rifles for decades and never had a reason to get one. Probably gets covered under some parade rule. Look at the vehicles you see in them that aren't 100% street legal. The road is closed and it's a function.

Most of those rifles you see are not owned by the vets. There is a DoD program that lends rifles lpng term to veteran's organizations for use in parades, for firing salutes, and other ceremonies. Many of these rifles have been on loan for 50 years or more. A few years ago they standardized on the Garand for this purpose and recalled all the 03s that were out there and replacing them with Garands. These were turned over to and offered for sale by the CMP.

These rifles were in pretty good external condition. However, many of these rifles had the bores destroyed from shooting corrosive primed blanks through them for years. Some of these rifles had unauthorized finishes applied but were sold through the CMP. A friend of mine bought one of these and its kind of the ultimate range bling, a nickle plated 1903A3.

ryan j hit the exemption. VFW, American Legion, and others are legally recognized military organizations. No FID required for a member to carry the rifle in a parade.

Be thankful for the scrap of Freedom they have so far Looked the other way on?

I rather they keep there scraps and have the vets march with pop guns to show the country just how backwards NJ firearms law is.

3abuvy3a.jpg

If that propels the cork (projectile) by compressing the air behind it, I believe it's a firearm by NJ law.  Just like an air gun.

Edit, no... probably not

""" and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with
sufficient force to injure a person. """

is open carry of an unloaded long gun legal in a vehicle with an fid?

NO! It must be cased when inside the vehicle. I have a friend who was ticketed by fish and game because he didn't fully zipper the case at the back of the but stock. The conservation officer said that's considered an "open case" not legal.

Also its illegal to lean the long gun up against the outside of the truck, while your getting your case out.

NO! It must be cased when inside the vehicle. I have a friend who was ticketed by fish and game because he didn't fully zipper the case at the back of the but stock. The conservation officer said that's considered an "open case" not legal.

Also its illegal to lean the long gun up against the outside of the truck, while your getting your case out.

Please show me the law where it says it has to be cased. Maybe it violates hunting regs, but if I have my AR, as long as it is unloaded and I have my FID it is legal, uncased or not. 

Please show me the law where it says it has to be cased. Maybe it violates hunting regs, but if I have my AR, as long as it is unloaded and I have my FID it is legal, uncased or not.

The law says "only if its locked in the trunk", hard to do in a pickup truck or a jeep. I don't normally bring the BMW to kill deer. Can not have an uncased long gun inside the cabin of the vehicle.

The law says "only if its locked in the trunk", hard to do in a pickup truck or a jeep. I don't normally bring the BMW to kill deer. Can not have an uncased long gun inside the cabin of the vehicle.

That is only if you're carrying it under exemption.

If you have a FID you don't need the exemption. A FID is like a permit to carry unloaded long guns. In fact, it used to say, "carry" on it at one time. 

Here it is in black and white, from the digest page 27 under "specifically prohibited". The digest although not the full law with statues is taken from the full law and condensed for hunters annually. Drive around with an uncased AR they can nail you on this offence if they wanted to. They'll say your poaching deer, thats the reason for the law.

post-7008-140148061931_thumb.jpg

post-7008-140148067084_thumb.jpg

Here it is in black and white, from the digest page 27 under "specifically prohibited". The digest although not the full law with statues is taken from the full law and condensed for hunters annually. Drive around with an uncased AR they can nail you on this offence if they wanted to. They'll say your poaching deer, thats the reason for the law.

But if you're not actively hunting why not just carry under the FID provisons instead?  This allows you to carry the long gun uncased in your vehicle.

But if you're not actively hunting why not just carry under the FID provisons instead? This allows you to carry the long gun uncased in your vehicle.

Wether your hunting or not. Or even have a hunting license, driving your vehicle with an uncased long gun is still a violation of that law, and the right cop could charge you if he knows the game code, as many do.