High Velocity

Picked up an M&P 9mm

Well... My latest batch of permits came in this week.

My current handgun inventory includes, a Ruger GP100 revolver, a Ruger P85 MKII and several Glocks. I must confess that I've become rather addicted to the durability and low maintenance demands of polymer framed, striker fired pistols but I decided I wanted to get something other than another Glock this time. I'd been considering either the M&P or the XDM. Had a chance to shoot an XD (not XDM) and liked it. No prior experience with the M&P. My shop didn't have any XDM's so I spent some time this evening at the counter holding and comparing the M&P to the XD. Both pistols seem to be quality pieces for the money and obviously either one would be a good choice for that "type" of pistol in that price range. Both seemed to feel good in my hands with perhaps a very slight preference towards the M&P. I've purchased a few guns in the past without ever shooting them but this time I really wanted to "shoot it" before making a decision. I didn't even have to ask. Salesman offered to let me shoot one of the M&P's that they had in their rental inventory. Wow! Very impressed. I was worried that the grip seemed a little slick to me compared to the aggressive texture and finger grooves of the Gen 4 Glocks but it didn't seem to make it difficult to Hang on to under recoil. The trigger wasn't as bad as I was expecting either based on what I've read. The Take-up is different than say the glock and takes a little getting used to but the trigger break, atleast in my opinion, wasn't bad at all. The ambidextrous controls are a nice feature for a lefty like myself. It was nice to be able to drop the slide with my left thumb for a change. To sum it up, I found it to be a really soft shooting, accurate and enjoyable pistol to shoot. It just really seemed to fit me. I'm also really surprised at how well I shot with a gun I've never shot before. Looking forward to my next trip to the range.

Congrats!  I have a few M&P's and I really like the ergonomics of them.  As you said, they are soft shooting and I just seem to naturally shoot more accurately with them than most other pistols (the only exception is Sig, I shoot best with my 226).  Between myself & my gf we now have a CORE in 40 & 9, a 9c, and a Shield in 9.  I own or have owned Glock, HK, IWI, Ruger, FN etc but the only one who I find more natural in 9mm to shoot than the M&P is my Sig. 

They really make a great gun in a well priced package.  Enjoy!

If you think the trigger is ok now, you'll be blown away if you install the APEX trigger. I tried one in my full size 9 first. I now have them in my 9c, Shield and both .45's.

Adding the APEX trigger system and 10-8 sights really transforms these guns.

I love my M&P 9 Pro (5"). I started with uspsa production division, then saw all the cool mods for it, now its my open division racer. I first put a Trijicon RMR on it using a SSS dovetail mount. I tried both the Deltapoint and RMR, and kept the RMR. I went with the Carver comp and KKM barrel, which runs fine with factory ammo and a 11lb spring. Next was the Apex parts and trigger. Then I sent it out to get the slide carved up, lightened, and the RMR melted in by DP Customworks. Finished it off with a sss magwell and SP mag bases. I use it for steel and uspsa. ( I still have the sss-dovetail mount if anyone is interested and wants to play with a dot on a non-core for $28 shipped).

Haven't been disappointed with the M&P line of pistols yet. Now you can get some bling for it!

http://www.magplates.com/MAGAZINE-PLATES-FOR-SW-MP-s/1818.htm

Are these harder material plates so they can withstand magazine drops too or just same material as factory mag?