Can anyone kindly offer some suggestions on where to go in NW NJ (Warren, Hunterdon counties), for personal self-defense or martial arts training? My young niece will be graduating from HS in the next two weeks, and will be attending college at U of MD, College Park. Since she would, obviously, not be eligible for EDC  until she is 21, we would like her to take some martial arts training for personal self-defense. We're just looking for a training facility that would best suit her.

All helpful suggestions, appreciated.Anywhere in the Warren, Hunterdon (Annandale, Flemignton, etc.) areas would be great.

Thanks & Regards  :)

HB

In addition to whatever she will be doing locally I recommend attending Tony Blauer's personal defense and fear management seminars. She will not become martial artist, but it will give you ideas that are very effective and easy to implement. He has a lot of stuff online, it is also helpful.

paper spray and cardio are the girl's best friends :)

You will be better off sending her to one of those paper spray certification classes, same places often offer basic self defense classes, maybe look into RAD, AWARE, IMPACT classes or such ... Def not mma cause it takes years to develop technique, muscle memory and the skills to use it in the street fight.

cardio >> there is no shame in running if you can escape physical harm.

Of course one class here , one class there will not do much , she either has to keep training or if there is one thing she should take away from all of it >>> has to be SA. good luck to her !!!

I'm sure she will be safe and have a blast .

Echoing what's been said above, the very best self-defense is being able to identify, avoid and, if necessary, escape danger.

That applies for men and women. And also (maybe even more so) for armed citizens.

I don't have any recommendations, but those the classes I would be looking for.

paper spray and cardio are the girl's best friends :)

You will be better off sending her to one of those paper spray certification classes, same places often offer basic self defense classes, maybe look into RAD, AWARE, IMPACT classes or such ... Def not mma cause it takes years to develop technique, muscle memory and the skills to use it in the street fight.

cardio >> there is no shame in running if you can escape physical harm.

Of course one class here , one class there will not do much , she either has to keep training or if there is one thing she should take away from all of it >>> has to be SA. good luck to her !!!

I'm sure she will be safe and have a blast .

I'll have to check the laws of MD in re: "Pepper Spray."   But that might be an option.

Thanks. 

As an old LEO friend once told me, if I want to learn self defense in a hurry, I should learn the same way I learned how to swim. Jump into the deep end and ether sink or swim. Only, in this case, it would be spending a few nights in Newark. :)

As an old LEO friend once told me, if I want to learn self defense in a hurry, I should learn the same way I learned how to swim. Jump into the deep end and ether sink or swim. Only, in this case, it would be spending a few nights in Newark. :)

I knew a guy who did just that as part of his martial arts training. He'd look for the seediest group of people loitering wherever and pick a fight. I know he'd been stabbed a couple times as a result, but I guess he did okay. Probably not my first choice as a training method...

I knew a guy who did just that as part of his martial arts training. He'd look for the seediest group of people loitering wherever and pick a fight. I know he'd been stabbed a couple times as a result, but I guess he did okay. Probably not my first choice as a training method...

with all due respect to ur friends >>> that's freakin messed up :)

For her to utilize any formal defensive training you must take atleast months or years to be proficient when the situation arises. Dont bother with any couple session classes. Self defense can be easy, groin and throat punches or kicks. And keep doing it until they are immobile. I would search for krav maga, judo or jiu jitsu since a punching defensive fight with a man will not work well.

Did this guy go to the "close cover before striking school of kicking ass". All legitimate forms of martial arts include situational awareness training. You learn tbe best way of surviving a fight is to not get in one to begin with. If you go pick the fight you are not a victim. This guy you know is an idiot.

As a woman who has studied a few different styles, I think Krav Maga will give her the most practical skills in the limited time. Distance from her area can be an issue though . There are quite a few schools around , but many are taught by instructors who were proficient in another martial art and paid money to attend a 3 week seminar to add Krav Maga to their resume and roster.

We wil be doing some direct to the point women's self defense seminars up in North East NJ at Woodland Park Range. They will be 2 parters , the 2nd part will be firearms. The 1st part will consist of learning a few easy to learn defenses against most common attacks on women including choke holds , bear hugs , and hair grabs . Women are , unfortunately , dragged around by their hair when a man is attempting to control them and drag them into an alley or a vehicle. We will also cover the use of pepper spray ( we have a certified O.C instructor) as a first line of defense ( since we cant exercise our 2A rights outside of the home in NJ ) .  

When she moves to D.C , I do know of an excellent Krav Maga school . If you are interested in more info on any of the above for your niece , just shoot me a PM and I will get you all the info :)

As a woman who has studied a few different styles, I think Krav Maga will give her the most practical skills in the limited time. Distance from her area can be an issue though . There are quite a few schools around , but many are taught by instructors who were proficient in another martial art and paid money to attend a 3 week seminar to add Krav Maga to their resume and roster.

We wil be doing some direct to the point women's self defense seminars up in North East NJ at Woodland Park Range. They will be 2 parters , the 2nd part will be firearms. The 1st part will consist of learning a few easy to learn defenses against most common attacks on women including choke holds , bear hugs , and hair grabs . Women are , unfortunately , dragged around by their hair when a man is attempting to control them and drag them into an alley or a vehicle. We will also cover the use of pepper spray ( we have a certified O.C instructor) as a first line of defense ( since we cant exercise our 2A rights outside of the home in NJ ) .  

When she moves to D.C , I do know of an excellent Krav Maga school . If you are interested in more info on any of the above for your niece , just shoot me a PM and I will get you all the info :)

Many Thanks! PM Sent. :)

Do you know of any good Krav Maga instructors in central Jersey?

I've been meaning to try Krav Maga and this thread finally got me to take some action. If anyone is interested, Englewood Krav Maga has a groupon subject to an additional 15% discount with the code "active15".

Central Jersey? Bordentown!

This! Israeli Krav is a great school. For those more south, there is one in cherry hill too. In CH talk to Don, great guy and great instructor as is David Kahn in Bordentown.

Hey this is getting way off topic for this thread. Maybe start another one. I posted last fall to see if anyone in central jersey wanted to do any muy thai training Because i figured id be free all winter. Not one response. Now yall want to be mall ninjas. Dont waste your time unless you can spend atleast three days a week for an hour class. You have to be in pretty good shape to start with. So before you even commit, start running and get in shape first. If not its a waste of your money and the instructors time. And if when your ready or think you are. Lets spar. Any questions please ask. But make a seperate thread. Thanks.

Hey this is getting way off topic for this thread. Maybe start another one. I posted last fall to see if anyone in central jersey wanted to do any muy thai training Because i figured id be free all winter. Not one response. Now yall want to be mall ninjas. Dont waste your time unless you can spend atleast three days a week for an hour class. You have to be in pretty good shape to start with. So before you even commit, start running and get in shape first. If not its a waste of your money and the instructors time. And if when your ready or think you are. Lets spar. Any questions please ask. But make a seperate thread. Thanks.

First, this thread was just started a few days ago. I suggest you go back to the OP and actually read it.

Second, your outlook on self defense is that without being in shape that you couldn't do it. That's not only misleading for those that are not in shape, but also just plain silly. I've seen plenty of people coming in that are overweight and not only learn self defense, but boost their moral and confidence quite becoming increasingly fit.

Last, self defense is not a sport. It's a subject that can always use more time and training. If you expect to walk into any gym and learn that technique in a few weeks, as if you were Ralph Machio, it's not going to happen.

Try not to be so discouraging to those that WANT to get involved and learn.

First, this thread was just started a few days ago. I suggest you go back to the OP and actually read it.

Second, your outlook on self defense is that without being in shape that you couldn't do it. That's not only misleading for those that are not in shape, but also just plain silly. I've seen plenty of people coming in that are overweight and not only learn self defense, but boost their moral and confidence quite becoming increasingly fit.

Last, self defense is not a sport. It's a subject that can always use more time and training. If you expect to walk into any gym and learn that technique in a few weeks, as if you were Ralph Machio, it's not going to happen.

Try not to be so discouraging to those that WANT to get involved and learn.

^ what he said. We had a guy take an 8 hour seminar , a week later get mugged and put in a choke hold .He knew exactly how to get out of it , strike , and retreat as a result of the class. He was in his 60s and had a weight issue. We have taught people in wheelchairs . Can someone not in shape join a competition orientated class and go to Grappler's Quest in a few months? No. However , straight up non sport self defense techniques should be simple , strategic , and not strength or fitness based. Which is exactly what Krav Maga is designed to be. It is not foolproof , nothing is ..not even carrying a firearm. It stacks the deck more in your favor though. Discouraging someone who is not fit or strong from learning some self defense techniques is doing them a great and unjust disservice. 

I kinda understand what he is trying to say and I can not say that he is wrong BUT >>> GB, u

did go off the topic cause we are talking about self defense which is basically (and I'm generalizing here of course ) buying those 30-60 extra seconds to make attacker believe that this is not gonna be easy for him /them and it's not fast money and he/them can really get hurt or caught ...

GB is talking about full fledge mma training where being in shape and having good cardio is essential to be able to go 3-5 rounds 5mins each ...

there is a big difference between a street fight and a sparring session and u know that brother :)

Ok. So what i was getting at was. I think everyone should know self defense. But prepare yourself to be pushed hard at a good school so put a little effort into exercise before you go. Iwouldnt want to discourage anyone from learning self defense or a martial art. You have to self motivate yourself to do it. Also. I am suprised how so many on the forum are worried about ccw. Now what happens without your weapon. Everyone should know how to handle themselves in a bad situation without a firearm. You have to realize that you can loose that weapon and then what do you do. If anyone out there thinks because they have a firearm it will 100 percent save them. Think again. Self defense or training in the martial should be just as much a priority as the weapon you have In jeet kun do bruce lee says a man with a weapon is basically weakened because he only has one hand to fight with. Or something to that effect. I have fought people twice my size half my size shorter taller and women. Not on the streets but in class. This is how you learn. I guess my viewpoint is different because im at a different level than just self defense. When i was military they taught us how to kill with the hits and with my other training it taught me how to stop an opponent So as i ramble with this i leave you with self defense training is better than none at all but dont count on that bullet to save your life. Im just baffled how not many people dont realize this.

Ps the ralph machio comment made me laugh. Thanks.