Sign in to follow this  
Wavecaster

Garand Gas Plug Stuck

So I got a garand from the CMP and I was breaking it down to clean the cosmoline out. I get to the step where you unscrew the gas plug and it will not budge. I poured a bit of hoppes 9 through the inside hoping it would break up anything that was keeping it stuck and still no progress. Any experts have any advice? 

I take a huge slotted screw driver, place in slot and use vice grips to break free. Might have been put on by poppye 70+ Years ago. Counter clockwise of course.

I agree, the 1/4" ratchet is the way to go, I also bought one of these handy tools from garandgear.com to make sure I didn't torque the barrel too much, it is a good middle ground between "hold between the legs" and put it in a vise.

http://www.garandgear.com/m1garand/detail/30-m1-tools-and-gages/flypage/71-gas-cylinder-wrench?sef=hcfp

Gas_Cylinder_Wre_4d2cdfdb0230e_180x180.j

Now, here is a question, how often to you take apart the gas piston system and clean that part of the gun?  Should I do it every time I take it to the range?

I have heard "don't take it apart too often to reduce damage and accuracy" vs. "clean it every time to keep the gun in tip-top condition".

I shoot a mix of hand loads using IMR4895 and old HXP surplus ammo and it gets to the range for 60-80 rounds about every 6 weeks.  I have a recent release CMP H&R in excellent condition and almost 100% original parts as best as I can tell.

Clean it often I have been told.  Keep it properly lubed and greased also been told.  I have had no problems with my two in the twenty plus years of ownership following these two instructions.

So I had screwdrivers big enough to fit the screw but none of them had a hole in them to put something in for that extra leverage. and I had ratchets but apparently they were all 3/8ths and too big. so i finally made it to lowes today and a screwdriver big enough and with the hole was $7.50 and a 1/4 ratchet was $20 (an extension another $10), so i went with the screwdriver and the extra leverage popped it so easily it's like it was mocking my previous efforts. anyway its finally free and in between the barrel and wood is smothered with cosmo so now its time to get back to work on that and then off to the internets to find some surplus ammo. thanks for the advice guys

Just so you are aware, if you come across screws or fasteners in critical locations that you need to absolutely remove, you can always just use an impact driver. Or take a hammer to a screwdriver while twisting, same basic effect.

You learn a lot of tricks when you work on rusty cars all day.