D. Stallone

Should I call my PD about my FID?

On April 24th, all parts of my FID applications was submitted to my PD ( Aberdeen), and my references sent their letters back to Aberdeen with no problems. I received a call on May 2nd saying that I needed to sign a release so that my employer can release my info, still unsure why. After I signed the release, I was told by the receptionist that I 'should' be receiving my initial FID and 2 p2p`s withon a two week period. Today marks the start of the fourth week of me signing the release form. I don`t plan on taking any action today, but would it be a good idea to call tomorrow? I know this state doesn`t like to give out FID`s in a timely fashion but, it does bother me.

• Like 1

WHY WOULD OUR EMPLOYER NEED TO RELEASE INFORMATION?

I don`t know, I posted about it back a few weeks ago, and I was given possible options from other members. If/when I go pick it up, I`ll certainly ask and get an explanation.

WHY WOULD OUR EMPLOYER NEED TO RELEASE INFORMATION?

Because the employer could be sued by the employee for doing so without the employee's permission and, potentially, saying something "wrong/inaccurate" (i.e. that causes the employee "legal injury").  As a hiring manager, I was never allowed to "give references" over the phone for my past hires. It was company policy that we had to refer such calls to the HR dept, where all they'd ever give out were name, job title, and date(s) of hire/termination (Never Salary or other compensation info.). 

I understand that "verifying employment" is part of the process, even at the State (NJSP) level. What is truly of concern to me is why an FID/P2P's employer matters at all, in re: the process, and why it must be verified. Why, for example, is one's employer shown on both end-documents (ie.FID & P2P docs both show that info.). Why aren't the two specified references sufficient to determine one's worthiness to own firearms? My point being, it would be none of my potential employer's business what I do own my own time and whether or not I own firearms. And I can see where some "anti-leaning" employers might take disciplinary action (including termination) if they discover the employee is  (or wants to be) a firearms owner. Like the federal govt., they can claim it's a "high risk" activity and either deny health and insurance benefits or make them outrageously expensive, etc. Just as many employers are now forbidding their employees to smoke, off-hours. 

Fortunately for me, I own my own business and am  my own employer.  So no worries, personally. :) But I think you get my drift.

An employer does not need a release to simply verify employment, and that is all that is required as part of the background investigation. The police are not supposed to disclose ( to the employer, or anyone) the reason for the inquiry. The release they had you sign is an illegal document.

Police using the employer as a defacto third reference is one of the biggest abuses of the entire application process. Your PD needs to read the laws they are supposed to enforce. You need to make ANJRPC cognizant of this abuse.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

An employer does not need a release to simply verify employment, and that is all that is required as part of the background investigation. The police are not supposed to disclose ( to the employer, or anyone) the reason for the inquiry. The release they had you sign is an illegal document.

It may not be a "legal" requirement, but from a "civil liability" context, it's probably better to have one on file than not. Otherwise, I'm betting that most employers would simply refuse to cooperate (i.e. not provide the info.) on advice of corporate counsel. I know my former employer(s) would not.  Furthermore, they would not comply unless they are told the specific reason for the inquiry. No, it's not "right," but it's the way it is...

Police using the employer as a defacto third reference is one of the biggest abuses of the entire application process. Your PD needs to read the laws they are supposed to enforce.

On this, we agree wholeheartedly!  :)

As to whether to make a call, they have exceeded the legal time limit, but I don't recommend making an issue of the fact they are violating the law.  What I have found with my town is they will sit on an application until you ask for it.  So I wait something like 28 days and then just give a call and ask the status.  Generally it pops out within a week of my calling.  Some towns are better, some worse, but do call and politely ask the status.  It's a reasonable question and there is no reason they shouldn't respond as long as you are polite about it.

That was my plan, be polite and not get upset. I am just hoping to get it before the end of the month so I can get my gun and bring it with me when I go visit my father in Illinois is July.

Don't you need an IL FOID (and yes, that's "O" as in " Owner's")?

Since I`ll be an out-of-state resident with an FID and legal firearm, I shouldn't`t have an issue. Unless of course my father and I are missing some tid bit of information. And my father does have his FOID and CCW license as well.

So I called Aberdeen about an hour ago, and asked about my FID and my two p2p`s. The receptionist than put me on hold for a few minutes. She than came on to the phone and said that everything was good and that I could pick them up. She than went ahead and told me that she had sent out a postcard yesterday with about 4 or 5 others, but told me to disregard it. I went and got my license and two permission slips. Also, the permission slips were dated for yesterday 6/2.

And I did ask the detective about the release, and he said pretty much what hbecwithfn7 posted.

So all in all about 40 days. Can not really complain.

Just

So I called Aberdeen about an hour ago, and asked about my FID and my two p2p`s. The receptionist than put me on hold for a few minutes. She than came on to the phone and said that everything was good and that I could pick them up. She than went ahead and told me that she had sent out a postcard yesterday with about 4 or 5 others, but told me to disregard it. I went and got my license and two permission slips. Also, the permission slips were dated for yesterday 6/2.

And I did ask the detective about the release, and he said pretty much what hbecwithfn7 posted.

So all in all about 40 days. Can not really complain.

Just saw this post.

I had the same problem, I printed the permit and paperwork and handed it in. They mailed friends and my boss to fill out papers within a week. Did the fingerprints in a week later then sat and waited for the call. A month and a half later still nothing. FINALLY got the courage and called and the person in charged couldn't find my name at first. Looked into another pile of papers and 2 seconds later told me everything checked out and I can pick my stuff up. Told me he left a message on my phone but I never got one so I waited a while since I never made a simple call.

The total amour of time only took 3 weeks for my stuff to clear and get my FID Card.

I waited an extra month and a half for nothing.

Can't wait to fill out more permits.

My town did the same thing to me, my question is why they contact your employer at all?  

There is no requirement to be employed to obtain a FID, what if you were unemployed?

Contacting your employer is 100% B.S.

Maybe this is just one of those things that we`ll never get a straight answer too...

Just to add to this for people that come across it later, I filed the paperwork for my FPID and some P2Ps in December and was fired a couple weeks after, been out of work since. Got a call in late May from the detective handling the paperwork saying he couldn't confirm my employment. Told him what happened. No issues.