Im looking at getting one or 2. I was told by a local dealer that you can buy one ,but you can't legally complete the milling in nj. Is there any truth to this? I can't find any gun laws stating this.

Were you just asking about this on the hunting forum?

NJ Law prohibits citizens without a manufacturer's FFL from manufacturing firearms.  Take your 80% to another state, complete it there, and then bring it back to NJ.

Just to confirm, is this correct? If I buy a long gun out of state, don't I still need to have a COE if I bring it back to NJ? I'm wondering because if the COE still applies, why wouldn't law against manufactured firearms? I'm curious because I'm going to be in San Diego next month... 

Just to confirm, is this correct? If I buy a long gun out of state, don't I still need to have a COE if I bring it back to NJ? I'm wondering because if the COE still applies, why wouldn't law against manufactured firearms? I'm curious because I'm going to be in San Diego next month... 

Possession of a homemade gun is not illegal in NJ. Manufacturing one in NJ without a license is. It's one of those weird loopholes. You don't need a COE or any paperwork which is the point of doing an 80% lower - if done right, you have a completely untraceable, legal gun.

so everyone basically agrees that its a waste of time? not worth the trouble or the risk?  

It may have merit if you want a truly untraceable gun, for the scenario where the Government wants to engage in mass door to door confiscation and you want to resist. 

Has any one ever got caught, question, had any trouble with the authorities or anything like that with one of these?

Other than Aries Armor, not that I'm aware of. But the reason ATF gave them a hard time, was because one of the composite 80% lowers they were selling all of a sudden was deemed unsatisfactory because of a plastic insert molded in. Aries turned over all the inventory they had but refused to surrender their customer sales information. That's why the ATF raided them.

FYI, Ares is again selling composite lowers. Think an argument can be made that it's legal to complete in NJ?

2C:39-1

j."Manufacturer" means any person who receives or obtains raw materials or parts and processes them into firearms or finished parts of firearms, except a person who exclusively processes grips, stocks and other nonmetal parts of firearms. The term does not include a person who repairs existing firearms or receives new and used raw materials or parts solely for the repair of existing firearms.      

:crazy: :crazy: :icon_twisted:  :icon_twisted:    

No. There is no argument to be made. The law is pretty clear. Putting a stock on an existing firearm does not constitute manufacturing. Making a firearm out of material either metallic or polymer, is. Think of it this way, taking an item not classified as a firearm and turning it into one that is would be considered manufacturing.

Other than Aries Armor, not that I'm aware of. But the reason ATF gave them a hard time, was because one of the composite 80% lowers they were selling all of a sudden was deemed unsatisfactory because of a plastic insert molded in. Aries turned over all the inventory they had but refused to surrender their customer sales information. That's why the ATF raided them.

There was another issue with the EP Armory lowers Ares was selling. They had the FCG and selector holes marked which is forbidden.

FYI, Ares is again selling composite lowers. Think an argument can be made that it's legal to complete in NJ?

2C:39-1

j."Manufacturer" means any person who receives or obtains raw materials or parts and processes them into firearms or finished parts of firearms, except a person who exclusively processes grips, stocks and other nonmetal parts of firearms. The term does not include a person who repairs existing firearms or receives new and used raw materials or parts solely for the repair of existing firearms.      

:crazy: :crazy: :icon_twisted:  :icon_twisted:

The Polymer 80 that they're selling now is different from the EP Armory that they got raided over.

I don't need an untraceable gun to resist.

When I meant resist, I didn't mean shoot.

I meant hide your guns so they don't know what you have.

With a regular purchase from a dealer or private seller there is always the chance of a paper trail (COE and 4473 for dealer sales, COE for private sale, and 4473 for the original sale). With the 80% there is nothing. If you pay cash nobody knows what you have. 

When I meant resist, I didn't mean shoot.

I meant hide your guns so they don't know what you have.

With a regular purchase from a dealer or private seller there is always the chance of a paper trail (COE and 4473 for dealer sales, COE for private sale, and 4473 for the original sale). With the 80% there is nothing. If you pay cash nobody knows what you have.

I have so many already good luck finding all of them. I forget about guns that I own myself.