Kimber45

pinning and welding a muzzle brake

VICTORY..... thanks all so much for the input... carbide bit and some better cutting fluid... ran through like butter ( A BIG thanks to Remixer ) And no i didnt drill into the barrel.... drilled pinned and welded... job complete... again thanks all.....

VICTORY..... thanks all so much for the input... carbide bit and some better cutting fluid... ran through like butter ( A BIG thanks to Remixer ) And no i didnt drill into the barrel.... drilled pinned and welded... job complete... again thanks all.....

:) your welcome...

What pin are you guys using to pin muzzle brakes ( Roll Pin? or Solid Pin) Then after that what method of welding, MIg, TIG, Torch, ARC? 

Solid, flux core mig (so arc welding, but out of my little mig machine). Bought a buttload of the ultra cheapest drill bits in the preferred diameter, then bought some very nice cobalt bits in the same size. make the pins out of the shank of the cheapies and blind pin, then cover over with flux core mig. I'm a heathen and it's like a hot glue gun for guys. Yes, it's not awesome TIG, so I'm doing it wrong. Yes, I know it will create a brittle bond with the metal of the bit if it bonds at all. My goal is to essentially create a metal cap to cover in the blind pinned pin, and my brakes aren't particularly fancy steel. I put on too much weld, dress it with a file carefully, and use some high temp paint to cover up my transgressions against serious welders.