Foyt20

Traveling to VA... Couple Questions

Morning everyone. I am traveling to the great state of Virginia this weekend, and having received my Florida and Utah CCW permits, intend on carrying. Just a couple questions. 

I know both permits are valid in VA, I am just going to take Florida Non-Res and leave Utah in my safe. I am going to carry my SP2022 in an Alien Gear Holster. I have a couple questions that I wanted to verify my findings. 

Of course, traveling, I will be passing through NJ, DC, Maryland, Delaware, and into VA. According to FOPA, I have no problem traveling between the states correct? I do not intend on stopping other than fuel, and my firearm will be secured in the trunk of the car unloaded, and separate from the magazines until arrival in VA. I am going to print a copy of FOPA to have on my person/in the vehicle just in case. Am I ok with the traveling aspect? 

When getting to VA, the plan is to stop at the National USMC Museum. Has anyone been, and carried on premises? Or is there any issue with leaving my firearm in my vehicle while parked? Is that an appropriate time to get set up? 

After that we are headed to Williamsburg. Friday I intend on carrying all day, and half of Saturday. We are going to a wine tasting and out to dinner, so I was going to secure my sig in my vehicle, as Alcohol and firearms don't mix. Anyone had any problems carrying in Williamsburg? I havent found any issues online but wanted to know if anyone has encountered anything. 

I am going to print the regulations for each state I am going through, and putting them in an envelope in my care just in case, and have an app to tell me anything on the fly. 

Am I missing anything obvious? Any suggestions? 

Thanks everyone! 

Morning everyone. I am traveling to the great state of Virginia this weekend, and having received my Florida and Utah CCW permits, intend on carrying. Just a couple questions. 

I know both permits are valid in VA, I am just going to take Florida Non-Res and leave Utah in my safe. I am going to carry my SP2022 in an Alien Gear Holster. I have a couple questions that I wanted to verify my findings. 

Of course, traveling, I will be passing through NJ, DC, Maryland, Delaware, and into VA. According to FOPA, I have no problem traveling between the states correct? I do not intend on stopping other than fuel, and my firearm will be secured in the trunk of the car unloaded, and separate from the magazines until arrival in VA. I am going to print a copy of FOPA to have on my person/in the vehicle just in case. Am I ok with the traveling aspect? 

When getting to VA, the plan is to stop at the National USMC Museum. Has anyone been, and carried on premises? Or is there any issue with leaving my firearm in my vehicle while parked? Is that an appropriate time to get set up? 

After that we are headed to Williamsburg. Friday I intend on carrying all day, and half of Saturday. We are going to a wine tasting and out to dinner, so I was going to secure my sig in my vehicle, as Alcohol and firearms don't mix. Anyone had any problems carrying in Williamsburg? I havent found any issues online but wanted to know if anyone has encountered anything. 

I am going to print the regulations for each state I am going through, and putting them in an envelope in my care just in case, and have an app to tell me anything on the fly. 

Am I missing anything obvious? Any suggestions? 

Thanks everyone! 

Just be very aware of the actual FOPA rules and how the weapon should be stored in your car when traveling under them.

Which route are you taking?   I just traveled through there a week ago. I usually travel the "Eastern Shore" route, down US 301/US 50 and across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge through Annapolis. I think it better than to travel all the way down I-95 and through the harbor tunnels (where I'm pretty sure there is a lot more "surveillance"). No matter if you come down via the NJ Turnpike (and across the Del. memorial Bridge) or via I-95 down from Chester and through Wilmington (the I-495 bypass is temporarily closed), you can go South on Del 1 (right past Cabela's) :D and then make your way to US 301, along the Eastern Shore. This eventually joins US-50 as you approach the Bay Bridge, heading towards Annapolis. Then across the bay and the Severn River. Continue on US-50 West until you get to the Capital Beltway (I-495 S again). Go 15 min. south on the Beltway, and you'll be across the Potomac into VA, and you will have bypassed Wash. DC in the process. :D

Bring the Utah CCW as back-up, that is the idea of having more then 1, in case laws change and 1 becomes invalid without you knowing it....

Doubt you will be able to carry into the Museum.....  I would bet there is a sign forbidding firearms in there....

Other then that......  relax, and concealed is concealed, dont worry about it

As far as taking the Beltway around DC..... I wouldnt worry.....  I dont think you would have any issues.....   leave your tin-foil hat at home....

Bring the Utah CCW as back-up, that is the idea of having more then 1, in case laws change and 1 becomes invalid without you knowing it....

Doubt you will be able to carry into the Museum.....  I would bet there is a sign forbidding firearms in there....

Other then that......  relax, and concealed is concealed, dont worry about it

As far as taking the Beltway around DC..... I wouldnt worry.....  I dont think you would have any issues.....   leave your tin-foil hat at home...

"Reasonable Prudence..." not "Tin Foil...."  Besides, the scenery is a lot nicer!  :D :D :D

sounds ok to me. I would look outside the museum for any clearly posted signs or rules on their website discouraging CCW. i also carry a printed copy of FOPA and My states CCW reciprocity agreements in my vehicle during travel. It sounds like you have it planned relatively well!

One last thing...research your route beforehand simply because some friends from Virginia is in town and said the traffic,detours and construction is the worst they've seen in quite a while and that's saying a lot from Virginia residents.

Give yourself lots of time and maybe download WAZE on a smartphone to keep you abreast of traffic,accidents,cops ect.

Enjoy your trip.

One last thing...research your route beforehand simply because some friends from Virginia is in town and said the traffic,detours and construction is the worst they've seen in quite a while and that's saying a lot from Virginia residents.

Give yourself lots of time and maybe download WAZE on a smartphone to keep you abreast of traffic,accidents,cops ect.

Enjoy your trip.

and dont speed in VA its not good

Correct on both.  Most of the construction I encountered in VA (on I-95) was between the beltway and Fredricksburg.

Even if the museum posts a "no guns" sign, unless it's a Federal building, school or similar area prohibited by law the signs have no force of law in VA. I am not saying don't respect the private property owner's wishes, but you are under no legal obligation to disarm because of a sign. They can ask you to leave if they find out.  Many people go by the rule "concealed means concealed." Obviously if there are metal detectors they could find out you are packing and tell you leave the gun in your car. 

www.handgunlaw.us is an excellent guide. 

Even if the museum posts a "no guns" sign, unless it's a Federal building, school or similar area prohibited by law the signs have no force of law in VA. I am not saying don't respect the private property owner's wishes, but you are under no legal obligation to disarm because of a sign. They can ask you to leave if they find out.  Many people go by the rule "concealed means concealed." Obviously if there are metal detectors they could find out you are packing and tell you leave the gun in your car. 

www.handgunlaw.us is an excellent guide. 

Went there and printed the sheets for Utah, Florida, and Virginia, along with a copy of the Travel Section of FOPA to keep in my laptop case in the car with me. 

Sorry buddy....... just plain silly.... 

Your opinion... :)

In this case, the route I take happens to be much more enjoyable scenic wise, has much less traffic, and very little if any difference in travel time. I also avoid the congestion & construction of a major city. And, yes, it does have the advantage of being less scrutinized by LE than other routes. Not that it's totally unscruitinized... after all, there is a MD State Trooper barracks along the route, and usually a patrol sitting right at the MD/DE border, or near the Bay Bridge. So, I'm not really avoiding anything... just reducing the risks a little.  Nothing wrong with "reducing risk" where possible, and where it doesn't result in extra time/cost..

And, it's the route I've taken historically, even when I was not "carrying." 

IMHO, it *would* be silly if I took a much longer route (or took more time), or choose not to travel at all, to avoid a "perceived"  issue Yet, travel I did/do. :D

Also...if you have a radar detector, put it away before you enter VA. They can, and will, stop you for having it whether it's "on" or not.

This signature is AWESOME!!!

Yes, there are signs posted indicating that Radar Detectors are illegal in VA.