fordperf

Sentry Safe Quick Access Pistol Safe

Has anyone had any experience with this particular biometric safe? I am looking to pick one up or something very similar, top-open to be kept in a drawer. I like the idea of biometric for fast access but it also has pushbutton if your fingers are dirty as well as key-open as a last resort.

I know most biometrics are pretty hit-or-miss, but this is one I have seen mostly positive reviews on. Just wondering if anyone here has one and what they think of it?

I can't speak directly about that specific model (I think you're referring to the QAP1BE), but I do own several Sentry QAP1E's (push buttons only) as well as a Gunvault brand  Speedvault model (with fingerprint reader).

In my experience, the fingerprint  reader is too "hit or miss" for me. It did get better as I kept programming in in the same fingerprint over and over, but I still get times

where it won't open with multiple swipes (and that's with clean, dry hands). If I could turn back the clock, I would have bought the push button model.

The Sentry QAP1E is a pretty good value, particularly when Home Depot occasionally reduces the price to $80.00.

I WOULD NOT pay the extra $$$ just for the addition of the fingerprint reader.

Ugh! The old bloody and dirty digits. If you have not got to your gun yet and your hands are bloody and dirty, it pretty much may be too late.

I have bios and never a prob. First time, every time. They've worked. Tech has gotten much better since bio first came out.

He did say it also has buttons in case. :)

Sent from my iPhone using TT 2 Pro

Ugh! The old bloody and dirty digits. If you have not got to your gun yet and your hands are bloody and dirty, it pretty much may be too late.

I have bios and never a prob. First time, every time. They've worked. Tech has gotten much better since bio first came out.

Sent from my iPhone using TT 2 Pro[/quote

^^^ This is a good point: I'm curious if you guys who who had problems with bio safes had these experiences in the past few years or so, or are these experiences from a while back? My wife and I are trying to start a family & I plan to buy a quick- access safe before we have a little one who begins to crawl, so I've been keeping my eye on topics like this. I'm not worried about the bloody/sweaty argument but I do want something that performs reliably otherwise.

Ok, I just realized what grumpy said and what may be the case on SOME bio safes.

I'm not familiar with those brands BUT he said something that caught my eye. He said the word SWIPE. Now I will have to agree. I have and had bio readers. But there is a big difference. So here is where I will agree that accuracy sux.

There are pretty much two types. A REAL bio reader and a swipe. The bio reader I have and have worked with actually reads your print by just placing your finger on it and wait for it to actually scan. That method works great as I have never had a failure.

On the other hand, those, as I call FAKE finger scanners have too many of a failure rate. You must, as grumpy said, make multiple swipes while programming and even afterwards, when you need to open it. It just won't get it if you are one inkling off.

So, that being said, I will concede all my past arguments based on past posts and only recommend actual bio readers as described. IF you can get a reader that all you need to do is put a finger on the pad, go for it. Their failure rate is virtually nil. Except when bloody or after eating bbq'ed ribs, etc.

;)

2 things -

1) It's never too late to fight for your life

2) I don't aspire to mediocrity

So nothing bad happens when your fingers/hands are dirty or wet? Intriguing, I need to make sure that I am always cooking or gardening when I am

home.....

No one has ever saved their lives with a gun retrieved after an injury? Also interesting - I guess I should plan to give up as soon as things get ugly.

Why pay the extra $$ for the gimmick just to use the backup buttons? You could buy 2 safes with regular electric/simplex/combo/key locks for the price of a bio safe and still have $$ left over for ammo and beer.

Like I said, for a storage safe between range trips - groovy! Bio safes are fun toys. For storing HD weapons there are better, more affordable, and more reliable options.

As always YMMV, IMO and all that jazz ;)

I had the one without the bio that I got for $80. I was in home depot and they had the bio one for $180 so I got it and returned the other one. In the past few months I only had it fail 1 time. It failed while testing how quickly I can swipe my finger. If you place your finger then drag back it works great. Maybe cuts time in half over using the buttons it also has. Pick one up try it out for a week or two and if you don't like it return it. I tested mine daily for a few weeks before I decided to keep it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

We use fingerprint scanners at work to access the building. They SUCK.

When setting me up for access,I had to try 5 different fingers and use moisturizer before the system would accept my prints.

I'd say the system fails to read my print 1 of 3 times requiring retries.

Pushbutton for me.

2 things -

1) It's never too late to fight for your life

2) I don't aspire to mediocrity

So nothing bad happens when your fingers/hands are dirty or wet? Intriguing, I need to make sure that I am always cooking or gardening when I am

home.....

No one has ever saved their lives with a gun retrieved after an injury? Also interesting - I guess I should plan to give up as soon as things get ugly.

Why pay the extra $$ for the gimmick just to use the backup buttons? You could buy 2 safes with regular electric/simplex/combo/key locks for the price of a bio safe and still have $$ left over for ammo and beer.

Like I said, for a storage safe between range trips - groovy! Bio safes are fun toys. For storing HD weapons there are better, more affordable, and more reliable options.

As always YMMV, IMO and all that jazz ;)

Your views are very extreme. These are not Bruce Willis scenes and like I said in my latter post, I concede. :)

Sent from my iPhone using TT 2 Pro...

I understand there are MANY different implementations of biometric out there, home and residential, of varying qualities since biometrics were invented. I know some people have crap experiences, which is why other than THIS particular safe, those are irrelevant :) I am only interested if people had good/bad experiences with this particular biometric. (EDIT: or have had better experiences with a better biometric gunsafe!)

As I said, this one has pushbutton and key entry as well, so the "dirty fingers" argument is sort of moot, I can pushbutton in just as with any other safe. At that point, the fact that the buttons are battery powered is the hinging factor. Speed of access is the same or better as non-biometric safes.

I appreciate all the comments and feedback tho, gives me stuff to think about :)

I have a Baraska biometric / keypad unit.  It looks like this:

AX11646.jpg

It holds 32 prints so I have it set with several versions on many fingers.  I have never had it not open when I place my finger there.  In the event that it does it also has a keypad that you can set to use from four to eight digits which would let you get in if the fingerprint scanner would not recognize you.

Thanks I have a separate safe too, tho I am looking specifically for something to keep in a drawer that pops up on open, that I could do in the dark one-handed if need be. Good to know someone has good success with another brand. Do you have to swipe your finger, or just place it on the glass? I know those are two different available mechanisms..

I have a Baraska biometric / keypad unit.  It looks like this:

AX11646.jpg

It holds 32 prints so I have it set with several versions on many fingers.  I have never had it not open when I place my finger there.  In the event that it does it also has a keypad that you can set to use from four to eight digits which would let you get in if the fingerprint scanner would not recognize you.

On mine I just place my finger there.  I have many fingers set but I have my right index finger set five ways.  Dead center, and then full left, full right, full top and low.  That way anyway I insert that finger it opens and has never failed.

Great video at DECFON on how these biometric safes absolutely suck:

If you watch the last part of that video, that one has a sensor similar to mine and he eventually got by it with molding a finger, letting it cure and then pouring a reverse mold of it.  I don't think too many people are going to do that.  Any of these things are just a deterrent to keep kids out and keep honest people honest.  Anyone that really wants to get in will, they can use drills, saws, exposives - you are not going to stop someone that has time and wants to get in.

These biometric boxes are not really safes. I am less concerned with someone breaking in and stealing the whole box, as I am about kids or houseguests stumbling onto a weapon. You can have the most perfect safe in your drawer, it's useless if someone steals the whole drawer. We all know that. Hence I was less concerned with whether a small quick-access gunsafe was the penultimate permanent storage box, and more with a biometric safe that responds well and opens quickly and easily while providing enough of a deterrent to someone who stumbles onto it.