BigBlueQ

Mosquito control

So now that spring is turning into summer I have already seen my fair share of the tiger mosquitoes. I live in northern nj, and my property is somewhat moist and wooded, with lots of shade. Very damp beyond the backyard.

I plan on building several bat houses after school lets out next week, but I was wondering if any of you have had success with any insecticides to reduce the mosquito population.

I'm looking for something that will attach to the hose and mix with the water. Keep in mind that I have two dogs and two kids. All four can be kept away from any treated areas if need be.

Thanks in advance for your input.

What does the mosquito commission do?  I live in Union township and have to deal with this all the time.  The first day I moved into my property, I figure I would go play ball with my son.  Big mistake.  I thought I got poison ivy or something.

I may give the hose spray a shot though.  I tried the mosquito magnet and it does not work.  The only thing I can do is spray the mosquito repellent all over myself if I have to do any yard work.

For the bat box, don't you need to have bats in the neighborhood in order to work?  I'm not sure if there are any here.

The hose spray units work great. Stock up on all products now, they are gone by July.

Yes, if you want to spray poison all over your yard. Tiger mosquitos are different than the regular Nj type. They don't reproduce in marshes and ponds. They have adapted to live next to people and in their life cycle only travel approximately 200 yards. They will reproduce in so much as a bottle cap with water in it.

Your best best is to walk around your property and dump any standing water in garbage cans, tires, basically anything that's laying around. Check for stumps that fill with water. Check your gutters. If you reduce all of those you should see a difference in a few days.

Thermacell works great too. The Asian tiger mosquitos still penetrate it a little, but it is a lot better than nothing.

Thermacell works great too. The Asian tiger mosquitos still penetrate it a little, but it is a lot better than nothing.

They work wonders better than almost anything else in its market.

I live in Sussex county in a lake community, we gots mosquitoes galore also. I use a thermacell work great and I don't have to breath in poison or spray it on my skin. Also another trick is anything you have around the yard that can collect water including your gutters, bird baths, old tire behind the garage ect. Pour a little mineral oil in it just enough to form a skin floating on top of the water like a cap full from the jug. The larvae cant break through the surface to breath and they die before they can fly. Just an old boy scout trick I learned along the way. And it works.

Mosquito commission drives around and throws little fish in any water that looks like it will be around for awhile and they sometimes put chemicals in other water. Just call them and ask. It sounds like the OP has a little bit of land and some water or wetlands so they might give him some tips or drop by to help. Or maybe not.

Thanks for taking time to respond. I don't have much land, but the neighbors do. Nothing crazy, next door neighbor has about an acre. The problem is that all the surrounding properties drain behind my property, into a wooded area that's somewhat wetland-ish. Soggy soil and leaves. I've used the Off hose spray in the past, it worked for a week or so, and every application afterwards didn't seem to do anything.

I'll check up on the Thermo cell, as of now I don't know what it is.

Thanks again.

Mosquito commission drives around and throws little fish in any water that looks like it will be around for awhile and they sometimes put chemicals in other water. Just call them and ask. It sounds like the OP has a little bit of land and some water or wetlands so they might give him some tips or drop by to help. Or maybe not.

This is very good advice as well.