This is the statement at the end of the lengthy bill. Michael Patrick Carroll is the sponsor

This bill amends and repeals various sections of the statutes to modify New Jersey’s firearms laws.

As provided in the bill, amendments to current law include:

·         Removing the provisions which require a purchaser to obtain a firearms purchaser identification card (FPID) or a permit to purchase a handgun (PPH).  Under the bill, there will be no permitting required for persons aged 16 and over to purchase long guns or handguns and there will be no background checks conducted, other than those mandated by federal law.

·         Removing the restrictions on the possession, purchase or sale of assault firearms and sawed off shotguns in the State and removing the related registration procedures for assault firearms.

·         Removing the restrictions related to large capacity ammunition magazines and hollow nose, dum-dum or body armor penetrating bullets.

·         Removing the restrictions related to and requirement of a permit to carry a firearm in the State.  Under the bill, a firearm – both long gun and handgun – may be carried, either openly or concealed, except in educational institutions, State institutions or courthouses.

·         Removing many of the criminal laws and criminal sentencing provisions related to unlawful possession, carrying, sale, transfer, and manufacture of firearms.  Under the bill, committing any crime while in possession of a firearm would be a third degree crime, for which there would be no mandatory minimum sentences or periods of parole ineligibility attached.

·         Removing the exemptions to unlawful possession, as under the bill possession is no longer restricted to certain persons who meet eligibility criteria for the obtainment of FPIDs or PPHs.

·         Removing the restriction on defacing firearms.

·         Removing the sections of law related to “personalized handguns” and the implementation of their sale when deemed commercially available.

·         Removing the registration and licensing requirements for firearms manufacturers, wholesale dealers and retailers.

·         Removing provisions related to temporary transfers of firearms.  Under the bill, most transfers of firearms would no longer be restricted.

It is the sponsor’s assertion that New Jersey’s draconian laws respecting firearms freedoms clearly run afoul of the text and history of the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, impinge upon the fundamental civil rights guaranteed to all citizens under the New Jersey Constitution, and produce massive injustices while doing essentially nothing to prevent violent criminals from terrorizing residents, often with illegally obtained firearms.

Meanwhile, states more respectful of their citizens’ basic rights see substantially greater diminution in violence and far fewer cases of rank injustice, as when otherwise law abiding citizens find themselves unknowingly impaled upon one of the technical prongs of New Jersey’s impossibly complicated laws.

According to the sponsor, the purpose of this bill is to bring New Jersey more into the mainstream of American law, in particular to emulate the legal regime extant in Vermont, toward the end of empowering a free citizenry to defend themselves against violence and to enjoy the freedoms both the Framers of the United States and New Jersey constitutions considered the fundamental rights of citizens.

While the bill stands about as much chance of passing as a one legged man does of winning an ass kicking contest I do appreciate what MPC is trying to do.

Go for removing everything and hope they'll compromise to something less that makes sense.

This is my signature. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Unfortunately, I doubt this bill would ever make it past the L & PS committee, let alone reach the floor. :(   But yes, Bravo to MPC for raising awareness.  Of course, the MSM has no intention of publicizing it. :mad:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Assembly Speaker have to release it to committee first? It would be this guy:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/BIO.asp?Leg=247

It seems, unfortunately, that he has a gun grabber voting record.

If I were him,  I'd release it anyway. If he doesn't, then he gets tagged with all the pro-2A backlash (assuming he doesn't want that). This way, he can let the L & PS committee take the hit (which they've done already with these other bills, so what's another hit to them...). 

Vincent Prieto will never let that bill hit the floor. Conversely in the Senate, Sweeney would never allow it to hit the floor. The way this state is districted and with the Dems controlling both houses, there would never be enough votes by Repubs to get it passed.

S.

We need bills that would corner the other side.  I know its difficult but they have to tie the benefits to either children, criminals or 'reducing" effectiveness of firearms in general.

I dont claim to know much about anything, but how about a bill to remove the flash suppressor limitation. Isnt it that muzzle devices stabilize better and make firearms more accurate ?   Who from Gum Control side wants more accurate firearms ?

Aren't there any creative, dump-on-other-side ideas that can be turned into bills ?

I dont claim to know much about anything, but how about a bill to remove the flash suppressor limitation. Isnt it that muzzle devices stabilize better and make firearms more accurate ?   Who from Gum Control side wants more accurate firearms ?

There is no flash suppressor limitation, there is an assault weapon ban and that restriction is intended to keep such firearms out of your hands. Just because you found a way around it does not mean they are going to end the AWB.

There is no flash suppressor limitation, there is an assault weapon ban and that restriction is intended to keep such firearms out of your hands. Just because you found a way around it does not mean they are going to end the AWB.

Agreed, but couldnt an argument be made that DUE to awb, the Dems are actually enabling more accurate, "evil" weapons. Hence the flash suppressor should be remove from "two or more" clause ?

Agreed, but couldnt an argument be made that DUE to awb, the Dems are actually enabling more accurate, "evil" weapons. Hence the flash suppressor should be remove from "two or more" clause ?

I think it's more likely they would ban muzzle breaks or just get rid of all semi-auto rifles with detachable mags and all semi-auto shotguns.

Which do you think is more likely?

I think it's more likely they would ban muzzle breaks or just get rid of all semi-auto rifles with detachable mags and all semi-auto shotguns.

Which do you think is more likely?

Which is on the agenda anyways.   In PRNJ, the end result could be same, but which one is better ?  Propose bill that makes Dems look bad or Propose a bill that had 50 items listed ?

Guys, maybe we should get behind this. We haven't had a pro 2A win in NJ ever, and a little offence is a great change of pace. Regardless if it goes anywhere, this could be a great public awareness tool, that may get a couple legislators talking.

Who knows? We may not get everything in the bill, but if we got anything at all, even publicity, it will be a win we haven't had in a long time. This could get the ball rolling for bigger things.

I'm  sick and tired of the "Let's wait for someone else (SCOTUS, the NRA, Superman) to fix NJ's problems" approach. We need to clean up our own mess, and stand up to our own effed up NJ system. It is painfully clear no one is coming to our rescue, so we need to rescue ourselves from this disaster.

Why not have this move by MPC be the starting point for our offence against the gun grabbers? Who's with me? How about everybody calls or emails their legislator on Monday and asks them to take a look at this bill, and support MPC.

As much as I'd like to see this it looks like its just fulfilling a campaign promise, "if I get elected I will introduce a bill to.... ". If you want to get behind something, get behind a few of the things in it that might pass.

This bill, as written stands zero chance of passing. There are some proposals in it I think ridiculous.

As much as I'd like to see this it looks like its just fulfilling a campaign promise, "if I get elected I will introduce a bill to.... ". If you want to get behind something, get behind a few of the things in it that might pass.

This bill, as written stands zero chance of passing. There are some proposals in it I think ridiculous.

I understand what you are saying. However, name one pro 2A bill that has a chance of passing right now?

As things sit, things are going backward, not forward. Nothing has a chance at this moment. I don't expect something this big to pass under the current thinking in this state, but if we don't start somewhere, well never get anywhere. And if we are going to ask for stuff, ask for it all and see what we get. Right now, any win, no matter how small, is huge for us.

If we get behind this thing and push a little, it will encourage more bills to be written, and more people to take notice. Its the first step up this mountain of shit were under.