Howard

I'm thinking of three words: Pecker, Wood and.......?

Devil bastards! They peckered the crap out of my cedar siding. I'd scare them off with some airsoft pellets in their ass but we all know I'd be vilified/a felon/shot.

They do the same thing to my cedar siding also, little bastards!

If they are pecking at your cedar siding, I would be checking that area for some other type of infestation.  See they like to dig into wood for bugs.  They might be doing you a favor.  I have never seen them peck at wood for nothing.

If they are pecking at your cedar siding, I would be checking that area for some other type of infestation. See they like to dig into wood for bugs. They might be doing you a favor. I have never seen them peck at wood for nothing.

I thought the same thing, had an exterminator come and check it out, and the rest of the house he found nothing bug wise. He also told me its rare for bugs to mess with cedar, most insects dislike it and it resists rot thats why its a good choice for siding. Personally I like the look, its different from every other vinyl house in my neighborhood. But the maintenance sucks, power washing and re staining it every 5 years gets old quick.

I had a giant pileated woodpecker fly in and start pecking on one of my stumps. It was the size of a large red tailed hawk and was pecking off pieces of stump the size of a french bread. I've never seen anything like it and had to look it up. Looked like a baby pterodactyl in prison stripes.

Damn Howard, you're always taking some great pictures!

Every year the same red-headed woodpecker pecks the crap out of the cedar trim on one of our bay windows. I tried a few things, then thought if I make a habanero pepper liquid mix in a spray bottle and spray where he is pecking, he will never EVER want to peck at that again. Surprisingly, he didn't seem too bothered by it. I ended up having to go another route this year.

Our cedar trim hasn't been bothered with ever since.

Birds love hot peppers. Its even mixed into some parrot feeds. Check out bird be gone deterrents they work well. I used one on someone's house where a pileated wood pecker made a hole in the wood siding and made it onto the wall. Bird of prey decoys can also work.   

Get your head out of the gutter, the third word is bird! Caught this guy from my deck:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Can't get my head out of the gutter because the last word still fits. And 'it' lets me know every morning. ;)

Very nice Howard. We have a couple of them by us. 8 out of 10 times they find wood. But this one little guy doesn't get that he cannot peck it's way through aluminum facias. What a racket he makes before he flies away with a bent beak. Lol..

Sent from my iPad 2 using T2 Pro

That's a Downy or Hairy Woodpecker (I can't tell them apart, but if I had to commit, I'd say a male Hairy).  If they are bothering your siding, put up suet feeders on the trees and keep them busy - they should leave your house alone.   We have Pileated Woodpeckers quite frequently - they look like Woody Woodpecker, are close to 24" tall and are very loud.   They're fond of Sassafras trees and usually kill them by excavating nearly rectangular holes about 3" wide and 5" tall right through the tree.

Not my house, the guy over 2 behind me. Funny as hell. He looks like a lil professor trying to fig out the prob by tilting his head side to side. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using TT 2 Pro

you guys ever get the lame brain pecker that whacks away at your aluminum gutters at 5 in the morning? Full auto......

Holy shit YES! 5:30am on the gutter every morning...and always the side near the master bedroom...lmao @ "full auto"...so true.

Looks to be very common occurrence:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/living/woodpeckers.html

Flickers that have been crowded out of their wooded territories will readily use alternative structures for drumming, seeking food, or excavating a cavity. So the flicker that awakens you in the spring, drumming loudly on a gutter or metal flashing, is making good use of the habitat you are providing. For this reason, don’t remove dead or decaying trees in the hope of driving flickers away. That makes it more likely they may investigate your house for food or a nest site.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070616083458AAiwQC7

http://www.woodpecker-control.com/rain-gutters/woodpecker-pecking-on-metal-gutter.html

LMAO F this bird  lol 

Some interesting reading...lot of talks regarding rubber spiders in the main area to keep them away, weird lol.

you guys ever get the lame brain pecker that whacks away at your aluminum gutters at 5 in the morning? Full auto......

Yes, right above the bedroom window. Other times of the day too, at other spots on the gutter, mostly by the bird feeder outside the dining room window. Woodpeckers are suppose to eat BUGS, right? I get them on the feeder all the time. They chase the other birds away. My gutterpecker is the Red Bellied Woodpecker.