fmtek

what to use to fill screw holes on top of barrel???

hey everyone.. just looking for suggestions on what to use to fill in the Iron Sight screw holes (3 of them), on my Remington 597... 

i don't want to hammer and peen screws in... was thinking of something like JB Weld and let it dry in... but was looking for anything that you guys might have done to your rifles..

Thanks for your help ..

-Frank

You can get setscrews made specifically to fill those holes.  Midway probably has them.   If you know the thread (likely 8-40) and length, Midway has generic screw packs.   I use blue thread locker on these screws.  You can remove the blue later with regular hand tools with a little fight.   Use red thread locker or JB weld and you will have a hard time ever removing them.

Use headless allen screws to fill the holes. I used Loctite Blue on some rail screws for my Rem 700, and when I wanted to remove them to cerakoted the receiver, I had to heat the barrel with a torch to loosen them. Since then I went to the lowest strength Loctite purple 242.

I would use oval head or plug screws of appropriate size to match the contours but would NOT do anything that's permanent. Blue Loctite or shellac will work fine to keep them in place. Backup iron sights belong on a rifle.

Every home "smither" should invest in a pack of these. Always handy to have around. :

450063.jpg

The kit shown probably isn't want you need.  The screws shown are oval head, the angle of the head is exactly right to fit the countersunk holes in a scope base.

Since you removed the scope base, you need "set screws" - screws without heads.   Most set screws come with an allen type socket and you need an allen wrench.  The really strange threads that I've only seen used on guns (6-48 or 8-40) usually come with a slotted end.  I almost said "slotted head" but these have no head.

Filler or plug screws I believe is what you'll need for the top of the barrel to fill the iron sight screw holes. (I have seen some that have a more rounded top to them, better to fit with the contour of the barrel.)

835122.jpg