big five

Red dots on pistol.?

Im not saying theres anything wrong with them. But when i first got my fnx with sight on it it took some getting used to. actually im still getting used to it. I think it is more to do with the distance a rifle sight is from your eye vs the distance a pistol sight is.

I mean if red dots are great on rifles then why not on a pistol and or sd pistol

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

There is nothing wrong with red dots for competition stuff.  I would never put anything that relies on a battery on a self / home defense weapon.  What will you do when split seconds may count when the battery is dead or you shook it and the connection broke for a second.

They have their place and I would say they are here to stay. I think you will see this trend continue.

Some of my observations:

At least at this stage, I am slower on close targets vs Irons. I did not expect that to be the case as I used to shoot Open class IPSC back in the 90's. But the window size is much smaller on these "carry" type setups.

Accuracy and speed at distance is better VS Irons.

I have no concerns about the dot dying or turning off. I am fully confident I can transition to irons just fine if I had to or other methods depending on engagement distance. Current trijicons seem pretty damn reliable at this point though. If you have a hangup with batteries, get the non battery version.

Here is the massive difference. In low light / no light situations having a WML and a dot optic gives a huge advantage, in my opinion, over irons.

I hated the one time I used a red dot.

My dad inherited a Sig/Hammerli Trailslide 22 that had a decent red dot on it. I'm a decent pistol shot but I couldn't shoot it for anything because my hands shake too much and the reticle bounces. With irons I was fine.

Go for it. Please report your findings!

JMHO, but if you can't hit center mass with your SD pistol without looking down the sights, then it's not your SD pistol... I trust my 92FS because don't really need to look down the sights to score a hit. Practice and muscle memory, my man.