Fallen Knight

Is it legal to buy handgun ammo online(2014) even if they don't ask for FID?

Hi All,

I did a search, but I can't find anything for 2014 on this, since gun laws change so rapidly, I'd rather ask the wise and experience about this. A google search didn't reveal much either. So, my question is, is it legal to buy handgun ammo online and have it shipped to your door even if the vendor doesn't ask for the FID card? Thank you for the advice! I apologize if this has been asked  before, but I'd rather be certain that all info is up to date for 2014!

A bit more detailed explanation:

If you have a valid FID, then you can legally purchase and receive at a NJ address any kind of NJ legal ammo (hollowpoints included), either with or without providing the retailer your FID information.

If you do *NOT* have a valid FID, then you will be committing a crime if you receive handgun ammunition at a NJ address.  The distinction is crucial - the retailer, assuming they're located outside of NJ, is not committing a crime by selling/shipping you ammo.  YOU, the buyer, are committing a crime by receiving it in NJ without having a valid FID.

Is it monitored/enforced?  I doubt it, I've never heard of anyone being prosecuted for it.

^yes, I found it very helpful, though most of the places on there are now asking for FID. It's a bit confusing, because one FFL dealer I went to told me hollow points are illegal in NJ and that they're not allowed to sell them, however they seem to be legal, just as long as they're in the home....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about things other than ammo?  Why don't companies ship magazines and other things here to NJ?  They aren't committing a crime here, right?

Depends on the size of the mag. With states starting to limit mag sizes, the company might not want to bother figuring out what size is appropriate for your state. Much easier to just not ship them at all. :mad:

FTR, I have had success receiving mags in NJ from -

1)   Firearms For Sale

2)   Brownells

3)   Bud's Gun Shop

Admittedly, two of the above were for orders of 10rnd mags. :D

I think what Devs is asking is why don't out of state companies send NJ illegal items to NJ buyers, as the out of state company is not violating NJ law.  Only the purchaser violates the law when they receive the product.  I think it is more of a liability issue.  We don't want to be sued by the receiving State Government, or by the estates of deceased victims.

I think what Devs is asking is why don't out of state companies send NJ illegal items to NJ buyers, as the out of state company is not violating NJ law.  Only the purchaser violates the law when they receive the product.  I think it is more of a liability issue.  We don't want to be sued by the receiving State Government, or by the estates of deceased victims.

Very true.  :D

Slightly off topic. Any recommendations with respect to low shipping costs?

I've always been skeptical of shipping costs, and considered them a function of "base pricing."  That is, the merchant advertises a lower price to seem competitive, but makes up for it with the shipping charges, most of which are much higher than the true freight costs and bumps up the revenue collected to what the merchant actually wanted. :mad:  I see this on Amazon all the time, especially where it shows you several different options for the same item and lists them by order from lowest to highest (overall) price.  A $100.00 item could be priced at $49.99 but come with $50.00 in shipping, as opposed to the same item at $99.00 with free shipping. Usually, there's only pennies difference in the two prices. :facepalm:

If I really wanted to get a good bead on the shipping costs, I'd  try and get the weight and dimensions of the items (not often provided for this very reason) and price the shipment on the UPS and/or Fedex site. It's probably still cheaper for the merchant (due to bulk agreements), but it's a good enough "ball park" metric.

Wait, how can you be sued for that?  The law states the possession of magazines is the issue, not the purchase.  Really, the buck would stop with the person who bought the things...

Wait, how can you be sued for that?  The law states the possession of magazines is the issue, not the purchase.  Really, the buck would stop with the person who bought the things...

Notice the article *never* mentions the term "self-defense."  It just says "Store Owner shoots Knife-wielding Robber...:" as if, somehow, the owner is guilty of something... :mad: I hope there's decent security camera footage to back up the owner, just in case an overzealous DA wants to "try their luck" with a jury.... :facepalm: 

That didn't stop CA from suing a number of out of state vendors recently including Copes for selling mag rebuild kits. They had no real case but the legal fees are painful to deal with and all they really wanted to do was choke off the supply of magazines. Mission accomplished unfortunately.

Wait, how can you be sued for that? The law states the possession of magazines is the issue, not the purchase. Really, the buck would stop with the person who bought the things...

I think they also don't want the headline risk.  Even if they weren't subject to criminal or civil actions, you don't want to be the poster child for "illegal gun sales on the internet."  If you own a firm, this is the headline you don't want:

Joe's Gun Shop Selling Illegal Gun Parts to NJ Residents

on the front pages of the Star Ledger.  You'd also probably get a little more attention from the ATF, and no gun shop needs an extra audit or two per year.

Slightly off topic. Any recommendations with respect to low shipping costs?

While regular shipping prices aren't a bargain at Freedom Munitions, it seems that free or discounted shipping will now be offered at regular intervals, especially around holidays. For example, I'd be stunned if they don't announce a 4th of July special.